Another Ety ER4P vs. Shure E5C Review/Opinion
Nov 6, 2003 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

javahut

500+ Head-Fier
OK... I finally did it.

I've been using Sony EX71s since I first got my Archos Studio 20 back in Feb '02. I've been pretty happy with them considering the price. They sounded better than I expected for a little portable player. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality. However, once I'd heard about the Etymotic ER4Ps, I was curious about what they would sound like with the Archos.

The 71s have been slowly but surely going downhill lately. The low end is getting looser and distorts more easily than it used to. So I've been researching and reading comments on various canal phones here on the forum. When the ER6 came out, I thought "great... now I can finally afford to try out the Etymotics". But after reading many of the reviews I found myself being persuaded to go ahead and spend a little more to get something I would really like and could live with.

So, I sprang for the ER4Ps. They arrived, and I quickly plugged them in and gave them a spin. Man, the high end and especially the midrange just sound so clear with these phones. The midrange just seems almost "creamy" on some stuff... like Peter Kruder's “Peace Orchestra”... some of the mids and highs just seemed to drip out of the phones and in to my head. However, while the low end was very tight and present on certain recordings, on others, I had to really crank the EQ to get even close to the sort of low end I wanted to hear. So while I could hear the lows and they were extremely defined, on some things... particularly many older recordings, the Archos EQ just couldn't make up for the low end that was lacking in the recording and from the ER4Ps. Even on some newer recordings... such as Marc Ribot's "Scelsi Morning" (a noise and tone workout), the ER4Ps made the whole recording just sound rather harsh and irritating, where I'd previously heard warm lows and mids with the EX71s.

By this point, I'd been reading about the Shure E5Cs. Even though the ER4Ps at first seemed to be priced over what I wanted to spend, now that I'd spent $250 on them, $500 for the E5s started to not seem like so much if they were worth it. I started thinking incessantly about the E5Cs. From the reviews I'd read, it seemed like they'd be exactly what I wanted. But I already had the ER4Ps... should I send them back and get the E5s? Or be happy with the ER4s? What the heck... I was still within the return period for the ER4s. I ordered the E5s so I could compare them side by side.

My comparison won't be as long as the one posted previously in another thread because, in general, I think that one is right on the money. The E5s seem to have much more dynamic response... the sound stage seems bigger and fuller, and most importantly... all the lows I was missing from the ER4Ps are present and accounted for with the E5s. And while the highs and mids are not as noticebly pronounced as in the ER4s, I, too, think it's the result of the overall sound of the E5s being more balanced. So much so that after listening to the ER4s again after the E5s, the ER4s seem to be abnormally hyped in the mid and highs... they seem harsh on a lot of stuff. And some things were just unlistenable on the ER4Ps due to the lack of low end. Also, after comparing to the E5s, the ER4s seem to have much less separation and the soundstage seems more compressed.

The E5s have a super clean and defined hi and mid range. But they also really shine in the low end. The have all the low end ooomph! for listening to bass heavy music like dub & electronica, and the lows are crystal clear and present for acoustic jazz, as well. And if you run across some material that seems to be lacking in the low end, with a little EQ bump they have plenty enough low end to make up for it. Also, the E5s are way more efficient than the ER4s. My previous Sony EX71s had to run at about a volume between 65-80 out of 100 on the Archos, and would begin to distort. The ER4Ps could get the same volume in the 55-70 range (but with 0 distortion). The E5's output is so strong I need to turn down to the mid 40s sometimes, and rarely above 55.

The E5s are heaven! These things definitely make a lot of difference, even on 192kbps MP3s. I can't wait to listen to them every day. They're comfortable. The tri-flanged tip really seals the ear canal easily and very well. They're very well built... much more heavy duty than the ER4s, without any extra weight that I can perceive. My Amon Tobin and Kruder & Dorfmeister sound incredible on them... and so does Kenny Garrett and the Pat Metheny Trio... and so does my old remastered Todd Rundgren "Intitiation"... as does everything! I only have one disagreement to the question posed by the previous poster… "Are the E5Cs twice as good as the ER4Ps?" And my answer is emphatically "yes". The E5s sound incredible in every aspect and seem to be missing nothing. The ER4s are missing too much, almost enough to say that they're not really worth even half the price of the E5s. And as good as the ER4s seemingly hyped mids & highs sound on some recordings, that same characteristic in combination with the missing lows makes some of my favorite recordings unlistenable without some major EQ. So my opinion is, if you're thinking about spending as much as $250 on canal phones, you might as well go all the way and spring for the E5s. They're truly amazing... near reference quality for a portable music system. Again, I agree with the previous review… while the ER4s seem like a clinical tool, the E5s seem like a well-crafted musical instrument.

Nov 6, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 12
so cool! congrats.

Nov 6, 2003 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 12
well...good for you, if you are happy with them it's great
smily_headphones1.gif

however i do not agrre with you. IMO, E4S is definitively cleaner, more balanced and more incisive.
E5 is a great headphone, sure, but ER4S is like a japanese katana: sharp, fast, without compromise.

i sold my E5 today and ordered new Etys to Headroom.
i'm silly? maybe...
eek.gif
but crystal clear sound claim no concessions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2003 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Murasame
well...good for you, if you are happy with them it's great
smily_headphones1.gif

however i do not agrre with you. IMO, E4S is definitively cleaner, more balanced and more incisive.
E5 is a great headphone, sure, but ER4S is like a japanese katana: sharp, fast, without compromise.

i sold my E5 today and ordered new Etys to Headroom.
i'm silly? maybe...
eek.gif
but crystal clear sound claim no concessions.
smily_headphones1.gif

The problem with this review is he was comparing the 4P and not the 4S to the Shure. I think the 4S is a dramatic improvement over the 4P and even more so with an amp because the bass fills out. The S brings out the detail, seperation, and soundstage that is missing from the P. Even with the S, he still might have a problem with the bass unless he used an amp. Even then, some people are so used to pronounced bass, they can never get used to the etys. I do not find them lacking in bass with the proper seal and an amp.

Nov 6, 2003 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 12
Glad you like the Shures, javahut. However, if you've been listening to EX71s for almost two years and consider them just 'warm', then there's no way you would like the Etymotics until you have listened to them for a couple of weeks. I also had EX71s and, of course, thought the Etys were pitifully thin at first. Part of my problem was getting them in deep enough with good isolation (solved for me by the foamies), but there was also a significant amount of retraining of the ear to appreciate the tight Ety bass.

There are many recordings where I want an enhanced bass with the Etys, but I don't think the phones are the problem. I just use EQ as necessary. The Shures' bass is definitely more pronounced than the Etys, but it is also more boomy -- like the EX71s. This is not always a bad thing, but I find that I appreciate the Ety bass more often now. Saxes and horns sound warmer with the Shures to me, but overall I think the Etys beat the Shures in the mids/highs.

As always, this stuff is subjective, and different phones for different folks is just fine.

Nov 6, 2003 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by iamdone
The problem with this review is he was comparing the 4P and the 4S to the Shure. I think the 4S is a dramatic improvement over the 4P and even more so with an amp because the bass fills out. The S brings out the detail, seperation, and soundstage that is missing from the P. Even with the S, he still might have a problem with the bass unless he used an amp. Even then, so people are so used to pronounced bass, they can never get used to the etys. I do not find them lacking in bass with the proper seal and an amp.

completely agree with you lindrone, for this time
biggrin.gif

and with JB1 too
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2003 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 12
Errr... dude, that wasn't me.. LOL.. I know at a distance, it might look alike.. but "iamdone" is not "lindrone".. LOL...

Actually, I was going to say just that.. as soon as javahut posted his review... I knew right away people are going to bring up the ER-4P and ER-4S thing. Here it is, ER-4S is an improvement over ER-4P, but it does *Not* fundamentally change the way it sounds in the way to persuade anyone who likes the E5c more to think otherwise. And if it did fundamentally change the sound characteristic enough, it would piss of the Ety people anyway.

It's just like how HD-580=>HD-600=>HD-650 retains the same type of sound characteristic, meanwhile it might be improved and superior, it's not "different". Not even mentioning how people Sennheiser people didn't like the HD-590 one bit, because they were different enough to be not "Senns-like"...
wink.gif

The improvement of the ER-4P => S is not worth the $50 "official" adaptor cable, in any sense... which is why Xin's cheap little plug is more than enough anyway.

And, on another thing about "emphatically claiming it is 2x as good"... the only reason why I can't do that, is that I understand different people's needs to different type of sound. Just as javahut said, Ety's more "clinical"... any headphone in this quality range has more to do about taste and preference over what's really "superior".

As people could debate CD3000 is better than HD-650, or vice-versa, they just sound so vastly different, it's hard to claim one over the other. However, it's easier to compare those two, because they are in the same price class range... meanwhile the E5c is way above the Ety...

That's where it's really hard to make a valid price/perf comparison point... and quantifying it.

Personally, I was more than satisified with the $500 I spent on the E5c.

Nov 6, 2003 at 8:40 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
Errr... dude, that wasn't me.. LOL.. I know at a distance, it might look alike.. but "iamdone" is not "lindrone".. LOL...

lol it's right
biggrin.gif

sorry guys
600smile.gif

Nov 6, 2003 at 9:02 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by JB1
Part of my problem was getting them in deep enough with good isolation (solved for me by the foamies), but there was also a significant amount of retraining of the ear to appreciate the tight Ety bass.

The Shures' bass is definitely more pronounced than the Etys, but it is also more boomy -- like the EX71s.

I definitely had them in deep enough with a good seal. I, too, really liked the Etys bass response... when it was audible. It was just that on too many recordings, it was almost inaudible.

I would never describe the E5Cs low end response as "boomy", much less make any comparison of it to the EX71s... there's no comparison. The E5C's is tight, clean, deep... and there... the Ety's is tight and clean, but often not there. The EX71s is just there... neither tight nor clean.

Nov 6, 2003 at 9:10 PM Post #10 of 12
well ear size, ear tips and how deep you insert it play a very important role in my opinion to how the shure or etys sound. For example, my girl friend found the etys to provide much more detail than shure only if she used the foam tips on the Shure. Using the triple flange tips cut 1/3 off increased the treble a good amount for her. Also, inserting it too deep made the sound bloated.

For me, using a smaller foam on the etys increases the bass some what. I cut the ety foam 1/3rd off so the driver is closer to my ear. If I use triple flange tips, its bright as hell for me to the point of pain.

I think in the end, you are not getting the most out of Shure and Etys unless you try all possible methods including getting ear molds for both. Hell, these tips and ear molds change the sound as much as pads on grados. But personally for me, its a pain in the ass to try to get the same seal on the etys every time to get that optimal sound. I rather slap on my grados or senns and kick back not worry about adjustments or noise on cords.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back