Another ER-4P vs E4C question
Jan 13, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #31 of 41
I've tried the foamies, but the tri-flanges seem a bit more comfortable to me. Plus, I'm much more reluctant to push the foamies far into my ear, since the end of the little tube seems like it can do some serious damage. At least the ends of the triflanges are rounded off.

I do understand that my Logitechs aren't exactly quality speakers - I bought them for gaming, not for music. But it struck me as odd that bass notes that I could hear on my Logitechs were imperceptible on my Etys.

I'll have to play around with them some more, since I'm probably doing something wrong. I'll do some more research here also, since I'm sure that I'm not the only one that has had this problem with their Etys when they first got them.

Jan 13, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #32 of 41
Congrats on your new Etys!

The "secret" to proper IEM insertion is to have them inserted and sealed enough to give you the bass response the drivers are capable of, but not so much that you compress the air between the driver diaphragm and your eardrum. This compression will yield not only a loss of bass perception, but will attenuate the highs as well.

The trick of pulling up on the top of one's ear as one inserts the IEM with the other hand as illustrated by both ETY and Altec literature, helps for most folks.

What you want to attain is the smallest possible "sealed" volume of air between the IEM and your eardrum WITHOUT any compression of that air volume.

A product called "Debrox," sold as an ear wax removal aid, besides containing carbamoxide peroxide, also contains glycerol, which when judiciously applied to the triflange on the IEM, and excess wiped off, acts as a sterile lubricant, which will greatly assist in proper and painless insertion of the IEM.

Happy Listening!
etysmile.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #33 of 41
The compression could actually be the problem. I've noticed that, sometimes, if I pull on them a little bit, I get better sound - both highs and lows. I do use water to lubricate them, and I do think I'm getting a good seal, as they can be a bit tough to pull out sometimes.

I do appreciate all the suggestions, and I'll keep trying different things until I get it right.

Jan 13, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #34 of 41
I have a Ety4-p/s and a Shure E3c, I would say go for a Ety4 if you have a external amp. You might not need a amp for a ety4p with iPod. Ety4s sounds a lot better than Shure E3c . I don't have a E4c so I can't compare them.

Jan 13, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
I know for a fact that J&R has a no return policy on IEMs. They have a sign posted right where they sell IEMs.

Actually, I don't buy anything from J&R when there is a chance that I may need to return it, as their in-store return policy is horrible (the return policy for their web site is better - go figure).

I bought mine from EarphoneSolutions, as they seem to be highly regarded here.

Jan 13, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by rich1122
The compression could actually be the problem. I've noticed that, sometimes, if I pull on them a little bit, I get better sound - both highs and lows. I do use water to lubricate them, and I do think I'm getting a good seal, as they can be a bit tough to pull out sometimes.

I do appreciate all the suggestions, and I'll keep trying different things until I get it right.

Im a bit of a new er4p user as well, and i have exactly the same issue - getting the best seal is a bit hit and miss at times. Im definitely getting better, but yes, that problem you describe is what i have ... ie: i compress the air, and the sound is really crap. When i pull them out a bit, suddenly the sound gets heaps better.

Kwkwarth has hit it spot on, the trick is putting them in deep without compressing the air. Well, thats when i get the best seal/sound. Wish i had read that earlier actually, all the other guides really only said to stick them in deep, so i was wondering why the sound was so subdued!

Im tempted to try otoease to get a better/easier seal all the time... anyone else used this stuff?

Jan 13, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #39 of 41
ER-4P Insertion:

Always moisten the tip, NOT with water, but just lick the tip (it will give a better seal, and helps them to slide in) and then pull up and out on the ear and insert them as far as you can without using too much force but make sure all the flanges and some of the black barrel are in your ear. Do exactly the same with the other earphone. You can finetune the sound by twisting and changing the position once they are in the ear.

Jem

Jan 13, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt
buy both and return the one you don't like.

I've actually thought about buying the ERC4s in a week or two if I don't see improvement. I'll return the Etys if the ERC4s sound better to me. EarphoneSolutions has a pretty good return policy, so it's a definite possibility.

I just don't want to give up too soon, though, as I'm not convinced that I'm inserting them correctly.

Jan 14, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #41 of 41
If the triflanges don't work, try the foamies. It's all I use now.

In order to straighten the ear canal you have to lift top of your external ear (pinna) upwards and outwards. This is something they tell you in anatomy class.

Saliva really is one of the best lubricants in nature.

If you use additional lubricant like glycerin or Oto-ease be careful to use too much as it will clog the filter. Even excess saliva can do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back