Another ER-4P vs E4C question
Dec 31, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #17 of 41
I'm in the "bothered by the microphonics" camp. My ER6i's were pretty bad, particularly if I was walking and they were exposed to wind or were moving against my clothing. Wind brought it out the most. The problem certainly didn't render them unlistenable, but it was loud enough to be a distraction when it kicked in.

Dec 31, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
My ER6i's were pretty bad, particularly if I was walking and they were exposed to wind or were moving against my clothing. Wind brought it out the most.

I also used to get a whistling wind noise when I was walking outside listening to the ER-6i's. I didn't really get a bumping noise from the cords though. I find that with my new ER-4P's the wind noise is completely gone and the bumping sound is slightly more apparent, but it is virtually non existant when the cord is clipped to my shirt.

Dec 31, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by viper_45
2) The cord is *extremely* microphonic - probably a bigger deal for some, but it's so bad that even when listening to them at home I was having issues when moving my body at all... I would have to hold the y-slit in my hand to stop the cord from touching anything.

3) The bass - doesn't sound as if it would be an issue for you but I think the bass lacks any impact. Although, to be fair, the bass is clean, extended and tight.

I don't find the cord to be any more microphonic than my E3s. Actually, most of the time less so because of the shirt clip on the Etys. Do you have the newer braided cable?

I still don't understand this notion of the Etys having a lack of bass impact, especially with foamies...

Jan 4, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #20 of 41
After seeing the newer replies, plus the posts about the new ER-4P style (all black), I think I've changed my mind and am going to get the ER-4Ps. Hopefully, the new version, which supposedly won't have as big a problem with cable microphonics, will be available soon.

Jan 5, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #22 of 41
The shirt clip helps with microphonics. I did not notice the microphonics when stationary with the shirt clip.

I would recommend taking a method from Westone and making a kind of tight sleeve for the two braided cables, and after inserting the IEMs, move the sleeve up until it's a little below your head. This works very well with the Westones for preventing cable movement, and I've heard someone recommend making such a sleeve for the Etys before (but on the basis that impacts would be transmitted to the sleeve, although I think keeping the cables bound together plays a part too).

Jan 13, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #23 of 41
Well,

I got impatient and ordered my Etys last week, and they came in this morning (and yes, they are the red and blue style). So far they sound great, but I do notice the subdued bass. I'm hoping that as I get better at getting the proper seal, the bass will get better.

Does adding a portable amp and the P->S converter really help with the bass, just in case it doesn't get better?

And yes, I've been sucked in...

Jan 13, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
Shove them in further. There's a pic floating around here somewhere...basically they should not be "sticking out" of your ear, the only part visible should be the blue/red reliefs.

If your ear permits.... Mine dont go in that far but I do have a proper seal.

However far they go in make sure that the blue/red reliefs are verticle when they stick out of your ear.

Jan 13, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #26 of 41
Well, I've seen that picture, and they're in pretty far - actually, I can't push them in much further without hitting something and blocking the sound. And yes, I've checked them in the mirror and only the red and blue is showing.

Don't get me wrong, these are way better than the iPod earbuds - by a long shot. It just seems odd that I get better bass out of my computer speakers (Logitech Z-5500). Maybe I'm just expecting too much?

Jan 13, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by rich1122
Does adding a portable amp and the P->S converter really help with the bass, just in case it doesn't get better?

The P has more bass than the S. Since the 5G iPod's bass rolloff is much less than that of the 4G, bypassing the headphone out with an amp isn't going to help that much, I think. I'd go for one of the Xin amps with bass boost.

Jan 13, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Maybe I should start another thread for this question, but do places actually allow people to try IEMs out? I assumed for health reasons, this wouldn't be allowed.

I live in the NYC area, so I'm sure if they exist, they exist here. I'll have to check and see if J&R or B&H let people try them out.

I know for a fact that J&R has a no return policy on IEMs. They have a sign posted right where they sell IEMs.

Jan 13, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Well, I've seen that picture, and they're im pretty far - actually, I can't push them in much further without hitting something and blocking the sound. And yes, I've checked them in the mirror and only the red and blue is showing.

Don't get me wrong, these are way better than the iPod earbuds - by a long shot. It just seems odd that I get better bass out of my computer speakers (Logitech Z-5500). Maybe I'm just expecting too much?

Firstly, you should try the foamies.

Secondly, you do not get "better" bass from your Logitech. You get more bass. Quality and quantity are two different things.

The P->S cable changes the nature of the bass coming out the phones. It reduces the amount of mid-bass and increases the deep bass. IMHO it is an overall improvement over the ER-4P. I've used it straight out of my iPod when my amp batteries died and I thought it was quite good. An amp really helps them out especially one with bass boost like the Xin amps.

Jan 13, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
If your ear permits.... Mine dont go in that far but I do have a proper seal.

However far they go in make sure that the blue/red reliefs are verticle when they stick out of your ear.

I know all of the foamies are the same, but I switched blue to red, and otherwise.. they go in deeper, I don't know why.. when touching the entrance of my ear, I can barely feel the foam.. before this 'experiment', it stuck out 2mm.. sound improved overall..

one thing that also helped was to use the normal procedure (pulling up the upperside of the ear), and then I pulled down the downside of my ear so the IEM went in much further than I expected..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back