Another eBay (Horror) Story
May 16, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by nogrot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For $600, you could've bought a brand new Dell laptop.

http://www.gotapex.com/

Ouch

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...=bndqh2b&s=bsd

http://www.dell.com/content/products...en&s=bsd&cs=04

http://www.dell.com/content/products...en&s=bsd&cs=04

very_evil_smiley.gif

May 16, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #17 of 31
I looked at new and used (from Dell and other places). $600 gets you bare minimum. plus I wanted a 12 inch screen. I find the 14 or 15 inch just isn't portable/light weight enough. The laptop I purchased probably cost around $1200 or more; at least in a similar configuration on a new model.

May 16, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dont dismiss the claim until you have cash for repair work.

you can send me the recepit too if you want
wink.gif
nothing is going to happen though.

if you dismiss the claim before its resolved you will get no money. i would be surprised if anything different happened.

don't dismiss the claim, keep updating the case with comments and current communication throughout..especially if the seller is sending emails through his/her private email VS eBay message system.

Not sure why I could not sell my Toshiba Notebook on Headfi a month or so back, it was a score/slam of a deal, half the price you paid, everything functional and not a Dell.

Good luck to the OP, do hope this works out for you. I should have sold mine for twice what I did it seems like..from threads like this.

May 16, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You shouldn't have even tried to have it fixed! Just follow through with the Paypal dispute! Tell them you won't accept half of a refund, but a full one only, per their stupid questions.

I had a totally blown out video card (crazy colors and fuzzy crap coming out of its video out) that I bought used from an ebay seller. I easily got all my money back, going through the dispute process. Even if they can't get the ****** to pony up the cash, they'll compensate you out of their own pocket.

They want you to be comfortable buying stuff via Ebay/Paypal.

although an interesting strategy, this is not always true sir. I was burned bad when a Paypal dispute landed me out over $1000, since the seller account was empty, Paypal did nothing. Nada. Zilch. This was at the end of 2005 in December, be careful with this approach, it is not guaranteed 100%

May 16, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
although an interesting strategy, this is not always true sir. I was burned bad when a Paypal dispute landed me out over $1000, since the seller account was empty, Paypal did nothing. Nada. Zilch. This was at the end of 2005 in December, be careful with this approach, it is not guaranteed 100%

Yikes. That hurts. Sorry to hear that.

I'm pretty sure (not positive) that if you pay with a credit card, Paypal will guarantee your protection up to a certain amount of cash.

At any rate, I'd be careful to read all those terms of protection. It certainly came to my aid in my case... The seller refused to respond to ANY communication.

May 19, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #21 of 31
OMG! I've been reading awful stories online about the computer repair center at Best Buy, the Geek Squad. All they do is charge you and don't fix anything. I can't find anything positive about them. It's all bad. I had no idea. I hope this isn't the case with me, or I may have to change the title of this thread to Another eBay and Best Buy Horror Story.

Such bad luck lately. What else can go wrong . . .

May 19, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He says can't refund money from that transaction because of the dispute (Is this true? I somehow doubt it).

I think that is actually true. When you file a dispute, I am pretty sure it locks the account of the person it was filed against until the dispute is resolved. I am not 100% sure though.

May 19, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #23 of 31
003, the fourth post by ecclesand said he went through a dispute process himself and said the seller can in fact refund.

vcoheda, you could try taking back your laptop, pay the diagnostic fee, and take it somewhere else. At least, that's what I did with J&R.

May 20, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shurado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
003, the fourth post by ecclesand said he went through a dispute process himself and said the seller can in fact refund.

vcoheda, you could try taking back your laptop, pay the diagnostic fee, and take it somewhere else. At least, that's what I did with J&R.

Do you know of any good places to get repairs. I mean any places in or around my area that will not rip me off. Before going to Best Buy I tried two local computer repair shops. Both were closed. I have a bad feeling about Best Buy, like I will wind up spending my entire $300 and the laptop still won't work. I'm already down the diagnostic fee. If they say they can definitely fix it for a reasonable amount, I'll let them. But if they start trying to sell me every possible repair/service, which from what I read seems the more likely of the two, I'll just have to say no and take it somewhere else.

But where?

May 20, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dont dismiss the claim until you have cash for repair work.

you can send me the recepit too if you want
wink.gif
nothing is going to happen though.

if you dismiss the claim before its resolved you will get no money. i would be surprised if anything different happened.

The higlighted areas are the MOST important ! DO NOT close the file,or dismiss the claim until you have satisfaction,as it can never be opened again,ever,period.
wink.gif

May 20, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that is actually true. When you file a dispute, I am pretty sure it locks the account of the person it was filed against until the dispute is resolved. I am not 100% sure though.

No it does not,but it does fix it so his current and any upcoming Paypal funds are frozen or drained to fix the problem(s).

May 20, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #27 of 31
Unfortunately, my experience is limited in this regards.
frown.gif
I have three Dell computers but I've never needed to service them. The repair center I used services only Toshiba (what I have) and IBM. Dell's website has a section about expired warranty repairs but nothing further to suggest any authorized repair centers.

I wish I could help more but any more I give will most likely be guesswork.

May 21, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #28 of 31
I just walked past a place on 23rd street between 6th and 7th avenues. It is across the street from Tekserve and they are called something like "Onsite repair @60 seconds" or something like that. They had a flier in the window that advertised a flat repair fee for laptops with a free diagnostic check.
Hope this helps.

May 21, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #29 of 31
I'm still holding out hope (maybe, blindly) that Best Buy can get the job done for a reasonable sum. I should hear from them tomorrow about my laptop and what reapairs are needed. I have $300 to spend. As long they can fix it for that amount, I will be happy.

May 21, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #30 of 31
I've heard quite a few stories about the Geek Squad. Like this one: http://redtape.msnbc.com/2006/06/one_year_ago_ha.html
and this kind of thing seems to happen more often than Best Buy would like you to believe, judging from some of the comments on that article, and those on Slashdot when something like this was posted there.

My only experience with Best Buy customer service was with an Epson printer, which began having problems well within the period of the extended warranty we purchased for it. They said they'd fix it; we left it with them for a while, they said they fixed it, we brought it home, and it exhibited exactly the same problems it had before.
We brought it back, and they said they'd have to send it to their service center. After waiting another couple weeks, the service center said they couldn't fix it, and we could have another one, but the model we had was discontinued, and so we'd have to pay the difference ($50) between that one and their current model. We ended up paying the $50, and eventually got a rebate for it, so the whole thing ended reasonably well.

That was regular BB customer service. From what I've heard, some really dodgy things go on in the Geek Squad, though...
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back