Another earplug question (biker related)
Apr 15, 2006 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Tech2

1000+ Head-Fier
I have been motorcycling for 35 years. The past 12-15, I have been wearing a half-helmet (ears exposed). Most of the time, when I'm on the freeway, I'll wear some foam earplugs, but not always.

Well, since I've been visiting Head-Fi, I have been paying close attention for any signs of tinnitus, and lo, I have some ringing. Now I only ride with earplugs (foam) regardless of the conditions.

So here's my question, and I'm hoping some fellow bikers can offer their experiences (though I'm open to all suggestions/opinions):

Is there an earplug that you have used that truly reduces noise level (especially wind noise) without completely muffling all incoming sound?

I don't mind wearing the foam plugs, which I am currently using full-time, but I would like to try something that will attenuate the damaging high frequencies, but allow some audio information to come through clearly. I hate the detached/isolated feeling I get from the foamies, but I do not wish to compromise my hearing any further by using crappy earplugs.

I would really like a re-usable pair of plugs that I can wash/clean. I have seen the SilentEar and the QuietEar (which allows some sound through) at the Ear Plug store:

http://store.yahoo.com/earplugstore/silnatrubear.html
http://store.yahoo.com/earplugstore/quietnrr14.html

A three-pack of either is $12-16, which isn't much considering my hearing, but I can get a box of 200 pairs of E-A-R foamies for like $25. I just don't want to waste money on the SilentEar or QuietEar without having some assurance that they actually work as advertised.

Any thoughts or experience?

Apr 15, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 4
Stick with the foamies. To my knowledge all of the plugs wich are designed to lower noise, ie: musician plugs, can't keep-up with the amount of wind-noise of motorcycling. I use HEAROs X-Treme, which are supposed to kill 40Db, and I still have irritating wind noise.

A tall fairing is a good way to help kill some wind noise. So maybe a Memphis Shades + some foamies will get you what you need.

Apr 15, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks.

I have a detachable windshield, but I hardly use it unless I know I'll be taking a long-ish ride on the freeway. Most of the time I'll just head over to my buddy's place and we'll hit the road for an day/afternoon/evening run. In those situations, I don't usually use the windshield, but may end up on the freeway for some stretches of the ride.

I suppose I'll stick with the foamies. Obviously my hearing takes priority over anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back