Another DT770 alternative thread
Jun 3, 2018 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sneak310

Head-Fier
I ordered my DT770 80 Pros in October 2013 and they've been one of my favorite purchases ever. I love the comfort and sound of these but I'm tired of a few things:

1. The cord is TOO LONG. I don't need a 9 foot cable. Half of that would be fine (minor issue).
2. The cord started moving freely in and out of the earcup and cutting out if positioned a certain way (or reversing audio channels). The wires inside were touching each other and all twisted up. A replacement cord was purchased and soldered in and shortly after I experienced the audio cut-out issue again.
3. The cord gets too stiff close to the headphone area which from my best knowledge is due to oils and/or humidity in my area.

So mainly my issue is with the cord.

I'm using a Yamaha RX-v463 for these headphones.

I saw the customcans site but I can't afford something like that (litz cable, dampening and mass loading drivers). The cable runs from 95 to 115 GBP.

What I want is a pair of closed, around hear headphones that sound the same/similar to the Beyers I own with the same/similar comfort and maybe a detachable cable, preferably a fabric/braided one or something that wouldn't stiffen up like the Beyers. I really enjoy the velour ear pads and the sound for gaming and music. They are incredibly accurate for hearing sound cues in shooters which is shocking considering the design and they can be worn for several hours with no comfort issues.

I also really love the sound isolation of the DT770 headphones. I would love for whichever headphones to have the same/similar isolation.

If there's a site like customcans that offers a cheaper service I'd be willing to consider that. I don't need the most expensive cables, just something better than the stock situation Beyer provides.

I'm essentially afraid to take a risk buying another kind of headphone since I love these SO MUCH and don't have much money.

Budget: $200 USD (Not interested in knock-offs)

Thanks

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 11
Because of impedance issues with plugging headphones into a (A/V or other) receiver, you should try to get headphones in the 250-Ohm to 300-Ohm range (maybe 150-Ohms).
So my two cents is to buy the Beyerdynamic DT770 250-Ohm headphones.

Jun 3, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 11
Because of impedance issues with plugging headphones into a (A/V or other) receiver, you should try to get headphones in the 250-Ohm to 300-Ohm range (maybe 150-Ohms).
So my two cents is to buy the Beyerdynamic DT770 250-Ohm headphones.

Imagine my shock that PurpleAngel replied. Hi again :D

Can you go into detail on those issues please? Also don't the 250s sound real different compared to the 80s? And this doesn't solve my cable issue :frowning2:.

Any thoughts on K550 and K553?

Oh yeah, I read about this some time between 2013 and now actually.. I came across this:

High-End Headphones Favor High Impedance - There can be some significant advantages to higher impedance headphones. A higher impedance allows for more turns of wire to be used in the voice coil of the driver. This can result in a better “motor system” with fewer compromises resulting in better overall sound. Higher impedance headphones also require less current to drive and that typically reduces distortion in multiple ways. It makes them more immune to output impedance differences between sources and also less sensitive to long cables and sharing a common wire in 3 wire cables and 3 wire connectors (i.e. headphone plugs and jacks). The amplifiers driving headphone nearly always produce lower distortion into higher impedances.

Source: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-impedance-explained.html

Found this from the receiver manual:
Code:
Headphone Jack Rated Output/Impedance .............. 400 mV/470 Ω

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 11
Imagine my shock that PurpleAngel replied. Hi again :D
Can you go into detail on those issues please? Also don't the 250s sound real different compared to the 80s? And this doesn't solve my cable issue :frowning2:.
Any thoughts on K550 and K553?
Oh yeah, I read about this some time between 2013 and now actually.. I came across this:
Source: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-impedance-explained.html

For good damping control (like controlling the bass), it's recommended (rough guide line) that the headphones have at least 8 to 10 times the impedance of whatever headphone jack they are plugged into.
I plug my 40-Ohm headphones into a sound card that has a 10-Ohm output impedance and it sounds fine, so with only 4 times the impedance, it's not that big of an issue (might get a slightly bloated (louder less detailed) bass.
DAPs, mp3 players, smart phones usually have a headphone jack with an output impedance (5-Ohms or less), so a headphone with an output impedance of 32-Ohm or even 20-Ohms is ok to plug into a DAP or mp3 player or smart phone.
Receiver's headphone jacks usually have a high output impedance, the output impedance could be 50-Ohms or 75-Ohm or 100-Ohms (or higher).
So going with 250-Ohm (or 300-Ohms) headphones would be the preferred to headphones, even 600-Ohm headphone are decently driven plugged into a receiver.

The AKG K550/K553 are what i would consider good headphones (I own the K550), but as they are only 32-Ohm, not something to plug into a receiver (or OTL tube head amp).

Jun 3, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 11
I had a similar issue with my Sony MDR 7506...they were perfect as my portable headphones, except for the terrible long sproingy-tangle cable.
You just need to do a detachable cable mod to your headphones. It's way cheaper than new cans, it's totally doable (I taught myself after watching one youtube video, it's not that hard) and imagine this, as much as you love those headphones now, if you can do this mod and make them perfect, you will LOVE those headphones. I know.
check out this thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...l-your-full-sized-headphone-mods-here.867426/

Jun 3, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 11
For good damping control (like controlling the bass), it's recommended (rough guide line) that the headphones have at least 8 to 10 times the impedance of whatever headphone jack they are plugged into.
I plug my 40-Ohm headphones into a sound card that has a 10-Ohm output impedance and it sounds fine, so with only 4 times the impedance, it's not that big of an issue (might get a slightly bloated (louder less detailed) bass.
DAPs, mp3 players, smart phones usually have a headphone jack with an output impedance (5-Ohms or less), so a headphone with an output impedance of 32-Ohm or even 20-Ohms is ok to plug into a DAP or mp3 player or smart phone.
Receiver's headphone jacks usually have a high output impedance, the output impedance could be 50-Ohms or 75-Ohm or 100-Ohms (or higher).
So going with 250-Ohm (or 300-Ohms) headphones would be the preferred to headphones, even 600-Ohm headphone are decently driven plugged into a receiver.

The AKG K550/K553 are what i would consider good headphones (I own the K550), but as they are only 32-Ohm, not something to plug into a receiver (or OTL tube head amp).

My main concern with regular headphone amps is mostly the tiny volume pot. I also don't really want things sliding around on my desk because they're so light that the cables that plug into them can shove the amp. The receiver of course adds the bonus of existing if I ever decide to setup speakers again.

Using the information "Headphone Jack Rated Output/Impedance: 400 mV/470 Ω" from my receiver's manual am I correct to think the headphone jack impedance is 470 Ω?

If so, why will a 250 Ω headphone be such an improvement over an 80 Ω?

1/8th of 80 is 10 and 1/8th of 250 is 31.25. you said your sound card has a 10 ohm output and 31.25 is pretty close to 32. This makes me think the information given in the manual is not the exact information I'm looking for.

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 11
My main concern with regular headphone amps is mostly the tiny volume pot. I also don't really want things sliding around on my desk because they're so light that the cables that plug into them can shove the amp. The receiver of course adds the bonus of existing if I ever decide to setup speakers again.
Using the information "Headphone Jack Rated Output/Impedance: 400 mV/470 Ω" from my receiver's manual am I correct to think the headphone jack impedance is 470 Ω?
If so, why will a 250 Ω headphone be such an improvement over an 80 Ω?
1/8th of 80 is 10 and 1/8th of 250 is 31.25. you said your sound card has a 10 ohm output and 31.25 is pretty close to 32. This makes me think the information given in the manual is not the exact information I'm looking for.
The 470-Ohm might be correct, but I'm not the expert on the headphone jacks on receivers (A/V receiver, stereo amplifier, etc).
I'm guessing receiver manufacturers do not publish/share a lot of the technical details of the headphone jack, because there is nothing there to brag about.
If the output impedance is low, on the headphone jack of the receiver, then the manufacturer would have something to brag about.
Also normally receivers use the same amplifier(s) to drive the speakers and the headphones, so i guess "funny things" are done to the power that comes off the speaker amplifier, feeds the headphone jack, so some how the headphone jack (on receivers) have a high output impedance.
(there are some receivers, that come from smaller, but high end, receiver (stereo amplifiers, etc) manufacturers that come with a separate dedicated headphone amplifier)

I own the DT770/80 and DT770/250, and I like the sound of the 250-Ohm slightly better.
I like to use my 600-Ohm DT990, plugged into my Yamaha RX-V681 A/V receiver.

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 11
The 470-Ohm might be correct, but I'm not the expert on the headphone jacks on receivers (A/V receiver, stereo amplifier, etc).
I'm guessing receiver manufacturers do not publish/share a lot of the technical details of the headphone jack, because there is nothing there to brag about.
If the output impedance is low, on the headphone jack of the receiver, then the manufacturer would have something to brag about.
Also normally receivers use the same amplifier(s) to drive the speakers and the headphones, so i guess "funny things" are done to the power that comes off the speaker amplifier, feeds the headphone jack, so some how the headphone jack (on receivers) have a high output impedance.
(there are some receivers, that come from smaller, but high end, receiver (stereo amplifiers, etc) manufacturers that come with a separate dedicated headphone amplifier)

I own the DT770/80 and DT770/250, and I like the sound of the 250-Ohm slightly better.
I like to use my 600-Ohm DT990, plugged into my Yamaha RX-V681 A/V receiver.

Yeah, I know about all of that but I was hoping someone had some insight on the actual details on the headphone amp in this case :/. I have no issue using my receiver with the 80 Ohm headphones but I have nothing of higher impedance to plug in.

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #9 of 11
Yeah, I know about all of that but I was hoping someone had some insight on the actual details on the headphone amp in this case :/. I have no issue using my receiver with the 80 Ohm headphones but I have nothing of higher impedance to plug in.
If you have access to a soldering iron, you can make your own replacement cable.
Quad-core microphone cable (Mogami & Canare brands?) seems be the popular replacement cable, for use with making custom headphone cables.
And there are some nice options for the headphone plug.
https://www.showmecables.com/by-cat...io-video?cat=1563&gender1=115&mono_stereo=708

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #10 of 11
If you have access to a soldering iron, you can make your own replacement cable.
Quad-core microphone cable (Mogami & Canare brands?) seems be the popular replacement cable, for use with making custom headphone cables.
And there are some nice options for the headphone plug.
https://www.showmecables.com/by-cat...io-video?cat=1563&gender1=115&mono_stereo=708

Thanks but I was referring to the headphone amp details and I'm aware of the ability to do my own cables but was considering other headphones as a "fix" if it means an improvement over these ones anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back