Another disadvantage to APPLE LOSSLESS!
Feb 25, 2007 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

trose49

Banned
Does anyone else have trouble with "skipping" on an IPOD using lossless?

I will sometimes just get a few second "skip" but other times it will just jump to the next track?

Happens on all different tracks and on both my 3rd Gen and 5.5 GEN.

Any comments of fixes for this other than changing formats?

Feb 25, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 17
Grettings... that's a bummer. My 4G ipod uses Applelossless extensively. It does not skip a beat.... good luck sorting it out. The above poster's thought on degragging makes good sense.

Feb 25, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mriguy2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grettings... that's a bummer. My 4G ipod uses Applelossless extensively. It does not skip a beat.... good luck sorting it out. The above poster's thought on degragging makes good sense.

Wierd that both units do it. and Only occasionally.

I use MAC I dont think you can do a "permissions check" but I will try it.

There is a couple of utilities I could try. Or I can reformat an reload I guess.

I will post results

Feb 25, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by choariwap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you use itunes to encode? dbpoweramp ALAC doesnt agree with ipods

Yes everything is done with ITUNES in APPLE LOSSLESS FORMAT with disc ERROR check on

Feb 25, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 17
Trose, although you and I have never seen eye-to-eye on the topic of lossless, thank you for pointing this out. I've had this happen many times, and figured it was a fault of my ancient computer ripping the CD's, but it seems I'm not alone. I also use a 5.5g ipod and a 1g nano, and this occurs on both sources. Ironic that this problem is supposed to be one of the biggest things that "plagues" lossy formats.

Feb 25, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trose, although you and I have never seen eye-to-eye on the topic of lossless, thank you for pointing this out. I've had this happen many times, and figured it was a fault of my ancient computer ripping the CD's, but it seems I'm not alone. I also use a 5.5g ipod and a 1g nano, and this occurs on both sources. Ironic that this problem is supposed to be one of the biggest things that "plagues" lossy formats.

Yet interesting that a members 4Gen had never done this.
rolleyes.gif

Do you also get them problem where it just skips to the next track?

Feb 25, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
defragmentation will help you...
The lossless files are bigger and therefore will be more spread than lossy files, also if you are changing song often the problem will accur

How can I defrag with MAC?

Feb 25, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #11 of 17
My 1G iPod nano is loaded with Apple Lossless files, and I have not experienced an skipping during playback. There may be issues with the 3G and 5.5G iPod, which don't show up on the iPod nano.

I suggest you start by restoring the iPod, then add some Apple Lossless files and give it a test.

Feb 25, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #13 of 17
I has problems with skipping on my Ipod and traced the problem back to my library on my PC. In ITunes I went to Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced tab and set the streaming buffer size to Large. I then re-ripped in lossless and reloaded the Ipod and haven't had any problems since.
Evan

Feb 25, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #14 of 17
The streaming buffer has to do with iTunes handling streaming audio, not anything to do with playback of local music files.

Formatting and reloading all the files on your iPod are probably what helped in your case.

Feb 25, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can I defrag with MAC?

Not easily, since OS X's performance is not often hindered by normal levels of disk/file fragmentation, and Apple doesn't provide any means of defragmenting hard drives.

You may be able to use the most recent version of TechTool Pro 4 to defragment your iPod, but besides that, if disk/file fragmentation is really the problem, your only other practical remedy would be to restore the iPod and reload all your files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back