The evidence is in what most people remember about the film:

1. Great effects.
2. Great battles.
3. SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

--Illah

I'll revise this a tad based on my experience with the movie:

1. Great effects (especially in HD)
2. Cool battles
3. Leonitus' wifes boobs jiggling during the sex scene.

done and done.
icon10.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #17 of 22
Man that guy was really mad at something when he wrote that. I read the first few paragraphs, then started skimming through, and stopped completely when he started throwing politics in the mix. Some people just take movies way too seriously.

Personally, I loved the movie.

Aug 7, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #18 of 22
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

oh? sorry... fell asleep reading it...

people like that are just looking for the cat's fifth leg...

it's a movie...and before that it was a visual novel, that Frank Miller wrote because as a child he watched "the 300 spartans" and was fascinated with that movie...

Also, remember that this comic book was published well before there was the discussion there is today about the US wars...

I love the graphic novel, and i love the movie...

Also, this kind of "reviews" remind me of when the V For Vendetta movie came out and people where saying it was anti-american and stuff like that... when in fact the comic book was written in the UK, and it was mostly a critic of Margaret Thatcher's government...

Aug 7, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #19 of 22
I've never seen the film, personally, but I have seen others watch it.

Imagine a group of your average, homophobic macho-types sitting in small circle with the most intense look of concentration they can muster. Occaisonally they would spout something like, "That guy is sooo ripped!".

I found it all rather amusing.
cool.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #20 of 22
Shortly after I saw the film for the first time I talked to someone about it who, like this reviewer, appeared to think there was more to the movie than yelling lines that sounded tough and bloody battle scenes.

If you don't like it because it was totally void of any message and you don't enjoy brainless action flicks, that's fine. Don't get all up in arms because you tried to read too much into it though. There's nothing under the surface.

Aug 8, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@blessingx:

You give us various interesting perspectives but have yet to give us YOUR own take. What gives?

Well, I've given opinion of the film a few times, which for those that don't know I don't think much of it. I'm not even sure it is a film, but I'm certainly more interested in the issues surrounding it than the movie itself.

As for the OP theory, as I mentioned I don't swallow it whole, but I do believe in social conditions, majority options and their influence in the popular arts. When I see a top 10 pop song list from 1952, I think it says something about that era, both in creation and the group dynamics that raised it to the top. As technically challenging and exciting as 24 is, I think most agree its airing and popularity is at least partially because of the post-9/11 fears many have. I like 24, but I wonder what those in the future will think about a television series showing constantly threatened terrorist attacks as popular entertainment during a war. I certainly don't feel we should shrink from these questions. Superman and Batman for instance has been analyzed to death, and some of the theories are quite interesting.

I basically fall on both, not very attractive sides. On the one hand ignoring Lees original motivation (a film didn't have to be made), the conceiving of the film, studios to finance it (which only happens after they know how to sell it) and for it to be popular during war time with obvious connections, seems impossible not to associate. Quadruple that if you're a professor of Iranian Studies and likely spending much more time thinking about the war, its beginnings and eventual aftermath, than most of us. If you're focused on easily the largest current event going on right now, with many dying and millions displaced, and one side finances a film about a historic battle where the other side (however loosely related) needs to fought "for the sake of civilization"... you have to wonder a little about the timing, no?

Well maybe not, but that takes me to the other unattractive side. The only way for me to disconnect the movie fully from this major event (yes, even if it's bubble-gum - people place 40s musicals within the context of the war as avoidance/escape - but their subjects aren't usually war and when its referenced it's on purpose), is if the war plays no daily interference in the films viewers lives. The other side in the movie can be rouge monsters, etc. without meaning. Shifting back, can you imagine a light commercial flick at specific points of time with Vietnamese, Germans, Japanese, Italians, etc. characters that were suppose to have no meaning? I can't and while there are more than a few variables in play (casts tend now to be less mono-race/ethnic, etc.), the most obvious is that many of us go along with our daily lives with little inconvenience or sacrifice during this war. I think that's quite different than any other major military action we've experienced.

You may think I'm playing both sides, and maybe I am, but I suspect there is meaning or the situation allows it to have no meaning. Neither is a good option in my book.

And for the record I thought the same thing about Kingdom of Heaven (even if it slipped a 'get along' message in there). A film on the Crusades now?

Edit a day later: I just want to be clear about my repeated "loosely related" comments. I'm certainly not categorizing Gulf War 2 (for whatever it's worth I was in 1), as West versus East or Christian versus Muslim or American versus Arab, etc. However with a general American public confusion and lack of understanding creating a loose entity of Muslim/Arab/Persian (as statistically and historically strange as that is), I do think "loosely related" as a character archetype is worth noting here.

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #22 of 22
To me it's just a movie folks...not a documentary. I loved the visual engaging nature of the film and the ideal it presented, freedom at all costs. As entertainment I thought it accomplished what it was supposed to. Again, just a movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back