Another DC Linear PS alternative for the Squeezebox?
Jan 28, 2011 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rean1mator

100+ Head-Fier
found this power supply while looking for ps options for my squeezebox. 
http://www.buy.com/prod/mastech-triple-linear-dc-power-supply-30v-5a-hy3005f-3/q/loc/111/219606295.html
looks like this would work pretty well.  all it would take is to re-wire the existing cable to this unit.  nice feature is that two of the three dc connections on this unit has variable settings for both voltage and amps.  i could power both my squeezebox and emu with this thing simultaneously.  has anyone tried one of these?   thoughts?

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
found this power supply while looking for ps options for my squeezebox. 
http://www.buy.com/prod/mastech-triple-linear-dc-power-supply-30v-5a-hy3005f-3/q/loc/111/219606295.html
looks like this would work pretty well.  all it would take is to re-wire the existing cable to this unit.  nice feature is that two of the three dc connections on this unit has variable settings for both voltage and amps.  i could power both my squeezebox and emu with this thing simultaneously.  has anyone tried one of these?   thoughts?

Why?  Do you know what that is?  It's a shop supply for controlled variable voltage and current regulation so you can test equipment without blowing it up.

For a squeezebox, a simple Tread or a S11 on the upper end, will suffice.  Build 1 for each component.  Both of which are considerably less than a shop supply for engineering work.

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 5
from the specs it looks like just a ac-dc power converter to power dc equipment.  essentially the same thing as the aftermarker ps's available for the squeezebox now(ie. wellborne) with the added benefit that you can adjust the voltage/amps to match your equipments requuirement.

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 5
The reason that thing has a current control is so that if (when) you go Idiot-mode and short something you should not have your whole project does not go up in smoke. The current control on my PS has saved my butt a few times :) Im very happy for it.

You dont need current control to run most electronics. Run them off of a PS that can supply a little to a lot more current than they need, and let them take what they want. If you set the current too low on a regulated supply, or even look at the knob sideways if you had it "just right" (just right=exactly as much current as the device idles with which is totally wrong for most things) the voltage drops rapidly, which can send some devices into very unstable modes of operation or at the very least they turn off. Neither of which is fun.

+1 for tread or S11. S25 may also be a good option.

Jan 28, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
from the specs it looks like just a ac-dc power converter to power dc equipment.  essentially the same thing as the aftermarker ps's available for the squeezebox now(ie. wellborne) with the added benefit that you can adjust the voltage/amps to match your equipments requuirement.

Actually, no, they are not essentially the same thing.  I suggest you look up 3-pin regulators vs current limited power supplies.  Since you mentioned Welborne, I can see you are not approaching this as a DIY'er, but as a consumer, in which case this thread doesn't belong here.  If your choices are buying the overpriced 3-pin regulator Welborne labs circuit for $200+ and the Mastech shop supply, then yeah, I can see your point based on cost vs features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back