Another DAC chip to consider
May 8, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 9
I thought I saw a post from you about usb transports and I also figured that you could have other stuff going on........
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 9
But in the end it's still a Delta Sigma DAC and not a true multi bit type like the PCM1704.

May 9, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 9
Curious, I am towards DACs. I know now how to implement them, but I have no idea on the actual technologies in them. What exactly makes a multi-bit DAC better than a Delta-Sigma DAC (not just sound quality-wise, but the actual differences between the two)?

~Tom

May 9, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #9 of 9
Ahh true. It's a fully 24bit dac with a Delta-Sigma modulator bolted on the front. I wonder how this will sound.

Nerull I'm not entirely sure if this is accurate, but I think Delta Sigma and Advanced Segment DACs run the input through a digital interpolation filter then it's run through it's Delta Sigma DAC process where it approximates the output by using a series of segments, sums them together on the output, then integrates and compensates the resulting error using some kind of digital feedback. They are often single bit I believe with the DS modulator controlling what the output actually does and the DAC simply pushing the signal higher or lower.

Multibit dacs I think even in hifi are like R2R ladders. Each bit is assigned a certain value which is summed at the output. All 24 bits are pushed into the dac at the same time and each takes a different path. The resulting output is a true representation of the 24bits of data the dac receives. And most I've seen have external digital interpolation filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back