Another convert to (vintage) PCDPs, with questions
Jan 31, 2008 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

KTamas

Head-Fier
So it all started with me reading head-fi and all these praises about old PCDPs.

Then I started to browse our local e-bay clone and I've found a Sony D-141 which was just over $5 worth of money. So i figured what the hell, and I bought it.

Popped in a CD, put on my Logitech headphones (into the headphone out...its 'round 300 OHMs with noise canceling on btw)...hmmmm... not bad, but could be better.

Then I tried out the Line out and..... wow.

It blows away just about every output I have from my iPods to my MacBook. Amazing soundstage, like I'm on a concert... clear sounds.... just beautiful.

So, it's great for listening to at home but on the go I need a PCDP with at least some shock protection. Any recommedations? Of course the No. 1 thing I care about is SQ.

Jan 31, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 5
...maybe starting with reading through "Featured Full Portable Audio Reviews" here in the forum?
then:

(1) getting some decent PCDP(s) and at least one GOOD headphone matching your preferred kind of music, plus (depending on player and headphone model) a dedicated portable/semi-portable headphone amp

(2) getting additional CDs (clean, audiophile recordings)

(3) ENJOY

:)

p.s. my personal recommendation for a quick & cheap SQ upgrade from what you use now : an old Philips AZ68xx or Sony D-3x PCDP (starting around 10 Euros) plus an old ex-high-end beyer or sennheiser (should be available from about 50 Euros)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back