another comparison, senn: HD 485-595
Feb 24, 2006 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

timmins

100+ Head-Fier
I have succumb to the opiate know as headfi.org, I have been reading all about these eadphones, but the more I read the more I question my decisions.

I will be using these headphones out of an unamped cowon X5 (40 mW total output) mainly while commuting, I own AKG 26Ps and I am now looking for full size phones, none of the closed back headphones I have read about seem to be as good as these two.

I have a couple of questions:

1. when walking down a busy street or riding a bus, how much noise will come into the phones (do they block and decibels, 10, 12 maybe), and how much does this noise bother you?

2. I really hate piercing highs, which can do you think is better at preventing this? also what does "rolled off" highs mean?

3. which do you think are more durable

4. the 485's have 32 ohms impedence, the 595s have 50, should that figure effect my decision.

5. If go for the if i decide on the 595's, should I just go for the 555's because I won't have an amp?

I might have a few more questions to add later.
Thanks guys
and keep chasing that dragon
tongue.gif
580smile.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmins
I have succumb to the opiate know as headfi.org, I have been reading all about these eadphones, but the more I read the more I question my decisions.

I will be using these headphones out of an unamped cowon X5 (40 mW total output) mainly while commuting, I own AKG 26Ps and I am now looking for full size phones, none of the closed back headphones I have read about seem to be as good as these two.

I have a couple of questions:

1. when walking down a busy street or riding a bus, how much noise will come into the phones (do they block and decibels, 10, 12 maybe), and how much does this noise bother you?

2. I really hate piercing highs, which can do you think is better at preventing this? also what does "rolled off" highs mean?

3. which do you think are more durable

4. the 485's have 32 ohms impedence, the 595s have 50, should that figure effect my decision.

5. If go for the if i decide on the 595's, should I just go for the 555's because I won't have an amp?

I might have a few more questions to add later.
Thanks guys
and keep chasing that dragon
tongue.gif
580smile.gif

Well I own HD485 and that's what I can tell you:

1. don't know, because never use them outside

2. in this case definitely HD485, they have a bit dark sound with punch of BASS. But HD 595 have not that super highs or what ever you mean by this. They sounds very clear, open and detailed and less dark and bass as HD485.

3. Don't think that one will wins over the other, because those two have a good construction, but I like HD 485 more
eggosmile.gif

4.Yes, because you may have some difficulties to drive them well from your X5. Personally I have iAudio5 and use my HD485 directly from it, NO PROBLEM AT ALL, JUST PERFECT SOUND AND GREAT POWER.
5. Cant tell you much, but I cant make any big difference between those two. They are very likely to each other.

Feb 24, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 5
the 595's work just fine without an amp, it's only that the somewhat subtle effect of a good amp is more pronounced on the 595's than on the 555's. the 555's are more forgiving

Feb 24, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore
2. in this case definitely HD485, they have a bit dark sound with punch of BASS. But HD 595 have not that super highs or what ever you mean by this. They sounds very clear, open and detailed and less dark and bass as HD485.

Very accurate description
biggrin.gif

You shouldn't worry about the HD595's high.

Most portable should not have any problem driving the HD485. I had the HD595 120 ohm version. I don't think my Ipod mini had any problem driving them. The improvement from using GoVibe is pretty minimal IMO. This shouldn't be a factor to your decision IMO.

I really liked HD595 a lot more. I even had trouble parting with them
biggrin.gif
I think rather than buying the HD555, buy the HD595 instead. Many HD555 owners upgrade to HD595 anyway.

The HD485 sounded too thick for my taste. It sounds too "veiled" to me. The price is very nice though IMO.At the price, it has strong tight bass(after eqing) and lots of soundstage. Very smooth sounding also.

I don't think I can use them on busy streets or bus. I will probably have to crank the volume in my Ipod mini till near the max. I can't give specific number in decibel though.

Both are quite durable. If I step on both of them, I think the HD595 will break first. The HD595's earpieces are kinda flimsy and creaks a bit.

Feb 24, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 5
your help is much appreciated, I am definatelt leaning towards the 595s
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back