Another CMoy question...
Jan 28, 2005 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

onionblaster

100+ Head-Fier
What are some containers I can use to hold my amp besides a mint tin? I want it to look a bit...cleaner, I suppose, and also less suspicious to airport security; I've heard some horror stories.

Anyone had success with alternate containers?

Jan 28, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by onionblaster
and also less suspicious to airport security; I've heard some horror stories.

The Altoids tin has one serious advantage, that it can be opened without a screwdriver for inspection. I like my open battery packs for the same reason.

I've felt that I've been courting TSA disaster with my homemade battery packs. My girlfriend lives on one coast, I live on the other, so I fly so much I sit in first on $200 tickets, my idea of portable is something the scale of a Kaypro computer, I'm waiting for the PPAv2 boards to build my definitive travel "brick".

The only stuff in my carry-on bag besides grocery or wine hauls either way is electronics I can't afford to duplicate. It is always my rollerbag, 80% of the time, that they blink at and need to examine more closely, all commercial gear like bare IDE drives (my backup media). They never want to look at my knapsack, with all the homemade **** for listening on the plane. Beats me why.

When I set up my Solio solar battery under the windowshade, last flight, they were a bit curious, was I communicating with terrorists? Strangely, nothing homemade of mine has caused concern.

Jan 28, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 9
I prefer the Serpac H-67 AC. I too was looking for something more sleek and professional looking, however I also didn't want to shell out $15 for a Hammond quality case. Here's the serpac:

http://serpac.com/products_h-67-ac.htm

I think it looks great in black. Also, I like the AC model because it can fit two 9V batteries quite snuggly. Here's how mine turned out:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=103212

Finally, the mouser part number: 635-H-67AC-X, and replace that last X with B for black, G for gray, or A for almond.

Jan 28, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #4 of 9
the serpac and hammond cases seem pretty nice. i'm thinking about putting my mint amp in a hammond soon.

google "stash tins" to find things similar to altoids tins but with band names, etc. or stash boxes which are very plain looking (which i like).

Jan 28, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #5 of 9
The Hammonds are very nice:

You can either go steath and get all black:
38925565.jpg

Or you can go flashy and get silver:
39128751.jpg

Either way it's worth the addtional $7 over the Serpac in my opinion.

Hope that helps w/ your desicion, by the way those are both MINT's.

Nate

Jan 28, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 9
Go to good ol' Radio Shack and get one of those plastic enclosures they sell. Theyre cheap and effective.

Jan 28, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 9
The Radio Shack enclosures are indeed quick, cheap, and effective, but I think Onion said he wanted something a little more sleek, and the Shack enclosures are anything but - maybe it's me, but I think they're clunky and disproportionate in addition to being devoid of any character.

Jan 28, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyloch
The Radio Shack enclosures are indeed quick, cheap, and effective, but I think Onion said he wanted something a little more sleek, and the Shack enclosures are anything but - maybe it's me, but I think they're clunky and disproportionate in addition to being devoid of any character.

Not only that, but the cut edges don't line up properly and they never come together well. -.-'

Jan 28, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 9
How about this one? There's a MINT and a 9V battery in the case. There's a separate compartment for the battery so it just slides open easily.

fronton.jpg

(it's a Hammond, but I forget the model number)

g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back