Another Classical Thread: Which is your favorite Chopin Etude?
Jul 23, 2007 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Eugene Kwon

Head-Fier
So many pieces to add to my repertoire next year. A chopin etude is one of them. I see that a lot of people play etudes from Op. 10...

I haven't decided which one, but Op. 25, No. 11 (Winter Wind) sounds awesome. Which one do you like or play?

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 12
I've always been fond of the revolutionary etude myself.

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 12
I loved playing Winter Wind, definitely did something for my practicing technique as well as finger control.

I'm actually doing the first one now up to tempo...and it's pretty freaking hard.

Also the E major one (forgot the opus number) is a good one.

Jul 23, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 12
I played 10/9 for my auditions. A beautiful peice and one that is not often played. You need an excellent left hand though in order to play it well. Also be very aware of the resolutions and the dynamics, they make the peice. Don't forget about the voice in the left hand either.

Jul 23, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 12
Well, I don't play, but for listening my choice is easy 25.12. For a major key, I like 25.2. But it is hard to argue with 10.12

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #8 of 12
^I can't believe I didn't know there was a music thread the whole time! I'll be careful next time.

I thought of playing the first one but then Winter Wind's melody is irresistible. But I'm a bit worried that nobody played Winter Wind in piano-e-competition. (trying out for junior next year; www.piano-e-competition.com, full of video clips) I was surprised that a bunch of people played 10/1.

10/9 sounds good but it's a bit too short.

I don't think a lot of people play Tristesse(10/3) in a concert, since it's the most least etud-ish piece and doesn't show your virtuosity. Such a famous piece, though.

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 12
you have all the repretoire required for that competition? Concerti movements and such?

And by the way, in a competition like that showing your musicality is much more important that showing virtuosity. There are a million people that are virtuoso's, and many much better than you and me. There are not, however, a million people that can truly make music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back