Another Cheap Headphones Thread
Apr 13, 2010 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bryguy27007

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I am looking to get new headphones.

I used to have the SR-80s and I loved every bit of them, but I can't seem to find them anymore (don't know what happened to them) and I need a new pair of headphones.

I am a college student, so keeping it under 50 dollars would be great. Cheaper is better. I listen to a wide variety of music.

I would love to go Grado again, but I don't think the open design will be suited best towards apartment life (roommate and such).

I've heard recommendations for the Koss KSC75. I am not a fan of the band-less design, but if they really are good and not terribly uncomfortable maybe they would be a great buy.

What else should I be looking at?
Sennheiser PX-100?
Other?

Thank you very much for your help all,
Bryan

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jvchas700

Hmmm, those look pretty good.
The reviews seem positive as well.

Are these worth twice the price over the KSC-75s is terms of sound and comfort?

Edit: I saw your signature, it looks like they are a better deal

Any other opinions?

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 17
In addition to the PX100 and the Koss:

Sony MDR-V6
Grado SR60
Sennheiser HD212 for closed, HD202 for open (have not heard the HD202 before so I can't comment)

I know it really goes a bit past your budget, but it is because I'm still limited in my knowledge. So I hope the little bit helps and a more well versed member comes along and guides you down the right path
atsmile.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #9 of 17
yeah, seriously, get the ath-M50. If you're used to rocking out with your grados you'll probably like them, although they have more bass than the grados.

otherwise, if you really just want cheap headphones, just get the ksc75. they're awesome. Not as detailed or refined as more expensive phones of course, but they get tone right, so instruments sound right, and that's the most important thing for me. In other words, they don't bother me, like most phones do, even some very expensive ones that are much more detailed and refined.

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bryguy27007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, they seem pretty similar.
The HAS700s are a little bit cheaper, and foldable
The HARX700s are a little bit more expensive, and there seems to be some comfort issues, perhaps they sound better though?

HA-S700 are great for everything except sound. They can't quite stack up to the open headphones in the price range (PX100, PortaPros) or some of the slightly pricier closed ones (RP-HTX7, Denon AH-P372).

For absolute fidelity I would check out the Yuin G2A, though they lack a headband just as the KSC75s do. For a closed, folding, and somewhat isolating solution I would look at the JVC HA-M750 or the aforementioned denons.

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #11 of 17
If you can save up just a bit more and grab the Audio Technica ATH M50's... I think they might be exactly what you're looking for. They can be found for around $90 shipped online.

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #12 of 17
Yeah save up a little bit more and go with the M50s.

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #13 of 17
Thank you for all the help everybody.

I will try and save up for the ATH-M50s, although that is a bit more than I was looking to spend.

If I can't swing those, I may end up with a pair of the KSC-75s.

I appreciate all the help.

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #15 of 17
I just googled SR80 and found loads, Amazon and ebay in particular. For £50 the Goldring NS1000 have a similar dynamic to the SR80s and they will isolate you from other noise. They do leak some sound, but nothing like the Grados. They also fold flat and sound much better and are more comfortable than the PX200s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back