Another Car Help Thread!
May 22, 2006 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chia-pet

100+ Head-Fier
THE PROBLEM
I drive a 2001 Honda Civic. One day the electric passenger-side lock stops working. Because of this and a recall for the signal-lever, I decide to take my car in to the Honda Dealership get it fixed up.

I get the car back and the lock works now! However, the entire passenger-side door is now falling apart. The speaker keeps falling out, the plastic panel is falling out, the entire interior is pulling apart from the metal door. But I don't notice this until I'm already home. And the recall was never done--stupid cos that's the main reason I even took it in!

So then a few weeks later the driver-side door lock craps out. I take it into Honda again and tell them to fix it. Then I tell them to fix the door that's falling apart as a result of them removing it to fix the passenger-side lock. And I emphatically, explicitly tell them to fix it! I get my car back, and the locks are perfect now. The recall was also performed, hoorah! However, the door is still falling apart!

What the hell?! A lot of b*tching ensues. They tell me to bring it in Sunday (5/21/06) and they'll correct their wrongs.

I come back Sunday, and leave my car with them for an hour. I come back and they tell me they need to order an entirely new passenger-side interior. Luckily I don't have to pay for it!

The Question
Is it possible that the two electric locks are interconnected? Is it possible Honda messed up the driver-side electric lock while working on the passenger side lock? Or are they completely independent of each other? What I'm getting at is, should I bitch at Honda for even charging me to fix my driver-side lock? Is it just pure coincidence that weeks later my driver-side lock burns out also? My reasoning is that they did such a terrible job even putting a damn door back, that their incompetence extended to other areas.

Sigh...

May 22, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 5
I would assume since they're separate they are semi separate systems. Both probably have wires running to the same switch so technically I guess they could be on the same circuit. I don't think it'd be very easy or even possible to prove their at fault for the driver side going bad.

Keep in mind this is all theory and don't have much experience with door locks other than the ones in my Mitsubishi.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
They probably broke the retainer clips for the door panel too.

They probably were very sloppy and non-thorough. I have a good friend that works in a parts department at a GM dealership and he tells me cautionary stories about how sloppy the mechanics there are.

May 22, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #5 of 5
Yeah I'm pretty much thinking the along the same lines as you all!

On the 2001 Civic, there's only one electric door unlocker on the car, and it's on the driver-side. It locks and unlocks both doors--so I'm inclined to believe they two sides are interconnected in at least some way.

No Honda technicians in the house?
biggrin.gif

I don't intend on proving that it's their fault. I plan to bring it up again and inform them that I'm not going to do business with them ever again. Maybe that'll actually scare them into refunding my money back. That's what scared them into ordering me a new door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back