Another budget IEM quest
Jan 23, 2010 at 10:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

audiofil

500+ Head-Fier
Hello there

Haven't posted here for ages. You can call me (if you like) a retired audiophile, enjoying music quietly and with great satisfaction through my beloved AKG 701.

As the title says I'm looking for a set of IEMs, relatively cheap (<50$) with decent performance and build quality.

I intend to use them with my phone actually (Sony Ericsson W910) for casual music listening (on the way to work, etc)
The stock headphones are decent and have pleased me for 2 years now.
Last week I connected the Sony Ericsson to the K701 (via Heed Canamp amplifier). It sounded surprisingly good and made me realize it can do a lot better than stock headphones.

I listen mainly to acoustic music (classical and jazz) and look for a balanced sound with good spatial separation.

I have little knowledge about the better IEMs out there in my price range, and look forward to your advice.

*** Sennheisers are the most readily available headphones in my country (Romania) and have been reading some good things about CX400/500 and CX-95.
Is there a significantly better IEM for the same money? (so it would be worth buying overseas)

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 19
Meelectronics M6. You can email meelec directly for a shipping quote and their rates are very reasonable. Great build quality and good sound for the price.

Jan 24, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #4 of 19
Thank you for the replies.

Having done quite a bit of reading on the Portable section, part of the knowledge veil has lifted.
One decision I've already made is to extend the budget and probably buy 2 different IEMs (maybe 3). The first will be an affordable model (around the 3-40$ mark) and the second up to 100$.

There's simply too many of them, good performers on their own right, but impossible to choose on a "best for me" basis without hands-on experience.
I'm looking for a headphone that manages to sum up two important qualities: a musical (enjoyable) presentation with a good soundstage.

Strictly based on reviews I've narrowed down to a few choices.

- SoundMagic PL30 - well behaved from what I've read with a distinct quality for throwing a large soundstage(very important for me!). They're also ridiculously cheap (24$ including shipping at Focalprice.com). These 3 factors pretty much made my mind in ordering one (even if will turn out just sheer curiosity).
I'm aware, though, that they're not the last word in resolution, so I'll be looking at a superior model as well.

- NuForce NE-6 - described as musical with strong bass and soundstaging. Good price too!
Not sure yet if they're quite what I'm looking for.
The reviews I've read so far haven't really convinced me if they're well suited for the kind of music I listen to (classical & jazz), or if they outshine the PL30 at what they do best (balance and soundstage).

A not-so-important factor is actually the Icon uDAC (a potential replacement for my PC soundcard), buying them bundled could make it worth while for the IEMs too. But then again - this is not important.

- Meelec M-6 - solid performers by any account and affordable (maybe the best buy IEM so far).
Initially I've been more attracted to them than to PL30, but because they cost significantly more in comparison (incl. shipping) and a few sound differences, I've backed down a bit.
My hesitation is this: are the PL30 better, worse or equal to the M6 in terms of soundstage?
Better soundstage and sense of air is more important to me than better detail. I'm more forgiving to a warm, atmospheric presentation than to a highly detailed, relatively flat one. The latter draws my attention more to the sound, the former to the music.
I know the M-9s sound more airy and share drivers with M-6, but are also described as harsh at times, so they probably won't do.

On the higher end of the affordable spectrum I've been impressed by a few IEMs.
Basically I'm thinking of buying a 2nd, more expensive, headphone to complement the PL30 (or similar model I'll eventually buy).
Bottom line is to greatly improve the main PL30 qualities (non-agressive with great soundstage)

- Fischer Audio Eterna - very musical with great soundstage, perhaps not so popular (yet). ClieOS did a very convincing review on them.
Price is right (short of 60$) and the company's in Europe.
Haven't done too much research on them and so far the only distraction is the bass (some say it's just too much).

- Cyclone PR2 - the earlier model, PR1, has immediately caught my attention for it's performance and soundstage. The PR2 looks like a worthy successor.
Again, not so much research on it, not sure how it stacks against Eterna . Two distractions: a few disturbing accounts on quality control for PR1 and 2, and maybe be too bassy and cold sound signature.

- Radiopaq Jazz (/Classical) - |Joker|' review on them described almost perfectly the IEM I'm after. The only drawback is the comfort factor.
Having to buy better tips, increases the price (as a Romanian even a 2$ accesory can turn into a significant buy because of international shipping).
The reviews place the Radiopaqs as top dogs in the 50$ category. Not sure how they stack up against Eterna, PR2 and others.

Because this was rather lengthy (+ boring) I have to thank you for the patience of bearing with me

I want to make this an open discussion and welcome any suggestions, ideas, thoughts on the IEMs mentioned so far and others.

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 19
I only have experience with the Fischer Audio Eterna and Soundmagic PL30. I would advise against both and suggest you opt for the Fischer Audio Equilibrium or Silver Bullet and Soundmagic PL50 instead. The Eterna's sound best for punchy electronic music with heaps of bass where the Equilibrium is much more balanced and the Silver Bullet more spatious and sparkly thus, I think, more suitable for jazz and classical. Also, the PL50's give a much more balanced and "mid-fi"-quality listening experience compared to the PL30's.

Why not forget about buying three IEMs and just get one really good one?
smily_headphones1.gif
I know I am not the best example since I'm buying way too many headphones lately, but nevertheless! You could consider the Panasonic HJE900, Denon C710, ATH-CK10 or maybe even the UE TF10?

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #7 of 19
The PR1 Pro is a great choice. To clarify, the PR1 is the first model, then the PR2 , then came the PR1 Pro. So based on model the PR1 Pro is the latest but they are not really better or worse but different. PR2 is bassy while PR1/PR1 Pro are balanced. The PR1 Pro was an improvement on the the PR1 and presumably we might see a PR2 Pro to improve on the PR2.

I also like the Radipaq Classic. Very reminiscent of the PR1 Pro and smaller than the Jazz. Stock tips seemed more than adequate. To me shape/size and comfort was similar between the PR1 Pro and Classic. Two of the better fitting earphones.

Also, I really am starting to like what Sennheiser is doing lately. If the presentation and soundstage are the two important qualities then they have some stuff that is being released really soon. The new models are popping up on a couple e-tailers even a couple shown as "in stock" means they would seem to have started shipping already. Plenty of new models in the new CX range. Just not sure how long till you see them where you are. Something like the CX280(270 is bassy/280 more balanced, accord. to Senn) to start out in the $50 range. I like the even lower end CX250's presentation, spacing, and imaging better than the older CX95. The CX95 being a higher model did provide more extension and better resolution but was more two dimensional, had less air between vocals and instruments, and was less crisp sounding.

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mierenneuker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beta Brainwavz are superior when compared with the PL30, even soundstage wise

I can't say that I agree with this. Having spent the last week reviewing the Betas I'm very disappointed - they sounded so good at first listen. But giving them time and running a lot of tracks through them reveals a flaw - the entire soundstage is distant, which makes it sound wide, yes, but also messes badly with the positioning. There is also what seems like a spike in the upper midrange which really blurs certain frequencies. The PL30 doesn't have any problems with midrange clarity despite not being as detailed/fast as the Betas all-around.

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 19
Thank you for the replies.

The Radiopaqs really look attractive.
I have also a question to the owners, something that I haven't noticed at first.
How does the Classic compare to the Jazz? Sound and comfort wise?

jant71 mentioned it first, but seen it again (really obvious actually) in the brochure - there are shape differences, the Classics being smaller and probably comfier.
There's also a different tuning to the sound. I'd be really glad to hear (=read) that they produce better soundstaging with more air (maybe more linear in freq. response too)

Jan 24, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mierenneuker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beta Brainwavz are superior when compared with the PL30, even soundstage wise

Wow really? Since I love the wide soundstage on the PL30's I should maybe consider getting these if that's the case...

I am hoping the PR1 Pro will be in stock again from the ebay seller selling them for $40 in the not too distant future since they apparently have a wider soundstage than the PL30's...If I can't get the PR1 Pro's I have narrowed my next IEM's down to either the M6, M9 or the PL50's..Maybe the Brainwavz are one I should consider too if what you say above is true...

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #13 of 19
Hi!

IMHO, my PL30 didn't have much more soundsstage than my Meelec M9's, and lacked midrange (specially voices, they sounded muffled to me). Given the small price difference, I would pick the M9 (or even the M6) over the PL30.

Just to make things clear, I prefer good midrange over soundstage if I have to choose just one feature.

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #14 of 19
If you're able to get the Denon C551, I would prefer those wo the Senn CX500. They run about the same price in the US.

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DervishD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO, my PL30 didn't have much more soundsstage than my Meelec M9's, and lacked midrange (specially voices, they sounded muffled to me). Given the small price difference, I would pick the M9 (or even the M6) over the PL30.

Just to make things clear, I prefer good midrange over soundstage if I have to choose just one feature.

Just to provide a counterpoint, I prefer the PL30 over the M9, and I also consider the midrange the most important aspect of the sound for my preferences (it's why I love the E500 and HD650). Different ears 'n whatnot.
tongue.gif

I think the bass on the M9 tends to crowd out the other frequencies. I also find the M9 sound to be fatiguing to listen to for long periods, while I can listen to the PL30 for hours without any fatigue. There's a certain smoothness to the PL30's sound signature that I find addicting.

I like the M6 more than the M9, but I'll have to spend some more time with it before I come to a conclusion on those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back