Another boring thread about deciding what to buy and how I'm suffering
Jan 9, 2010 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

NineToTheSky

Head-Fier
Mrs Nine isn't in anyway interested in IEMs, so you lot will have to suffer while I ramble on...

I bought my Shure e500s two and a half years ago, cable split a few weeks ago, bought the Sennheiser IE8s, snapped off the earpiece trying to fit a Comply, so I'm back in the market.

The Sennheisers didn't suit me - too 'muddy'. The Shures are great - apart from sounding too harsh in the mids to highs. I've seen the thread on that, and most people express either disbelief or amazement. It's not a major issue for me - I just feel they could be better.

So, I'm trying to decide: go back to the 530s? Perhaps the UE Triple Fi 10? Maybe the Westone 3?

I'm not asking for advice; I've done my searching and I've read a lot of the comparison threads here. I'm just saying it's bloody hard trying to decide what to spend what is to me a lot of money (around £250) based on reading other people's views, which mainly say that at the level I'm looking at, it's down to personal preference.

You can see how I'm suffering, I'm sure. This is really tough. Sod saving the planet, how to vote in the forthcoming election - this is the really important issue of the moment. I really care about my listening pleasure. What if I get it wrong?

I know: howabout if you lot all send me one of each of all the contenders to try? It'd be just on loan - honest.
devil_face.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 20
I have both TF10 and westone 3.
Sound wise, I like TF10 more, which has better bass, treble, soundstage, and transparent. What is more, TF10's sound is colder and more neutral IMO. I am not saying westone 3 is bad. It has beautiful bass, treble and great mid (which is better than TF10). W3's sound is warmer and a little bit colored.
Fit wise, w3 is much much better than TF10 for me. W3 is the best IEM I ever had for fit and isolation. On another hand, I am kind of struggling to get a good fit and isolation of TF10.

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dingrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both TF10 and westone 3.
Sound wise, I like TF10 more, which has better bass, treble, soundstage, and transparent. What is more, TF10's sound is colder and more neutral IMO. I am not saying westone 3 is bad. It has beautiful bass, treble and great mid (which is better than TF10). W3's sound is warmer and a little bit colored.
Fit wise, w3 is much much better than TF10 for me. W3 is the best IEM I ever had for fit and isolation. On another hand, I am kind of struggling to get a good fit and isolation of TF10.

Yes - the fit is my main concern with the TF10. The 500/530 is very comfortable and fits well.

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by NineToTheSky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes - the fit is my main concern with the TF10. The 500/530 is very comfortable and fits well.

I would pass se530 for the same cable issue as 500, which is poor quality, too stiff and easy cracking. One of my friends owns a pair of 530. He sent it back to shure twice during 13 months to replace the cracked cable.

My suggestion is, if you really love 530 and do not care the cable problem, go for it. Otherwise, if fit is your priority, consider westone 3, or westone umx3 (has more neutral sound, a little better treble, but smaller soundstage than 3s).

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dingrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would pass se530 for the same cable issue as 500, which is poor quality, too stiff and easy cracking. One of my friends owns a pair of 530. He sent it back to shure twice during 13 months to replace the cracked cable.

My suggestion is, if you really love 530 and do not care the cable problem, go for it. Otherwise, if fit is your priority, consider westone 3, or westone umx3 (has more neutral sound, a little better treble, but smaller soundstage than 3s).

Thanks for your replies. While I said I wasn't really looking for advice, I do appreciate opinions and suggestions. Anything to help me decide!

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Mrs Nine isn't in anyway interested in IEMs, so you lot will have to suffer while I ramble on...

I bought my Shure e500s two and a half years ago, cable split a few weeks ago, bought the Sennheiser IE8s, snapped off the earpiece trying to fit a Comply, so I'm back in the market.

The Sennheisers didn't suit me - too 'muddy'. The Shures are great - apart from sounding too harsh in the mids to highs. I've seen the thread on that, and most people express either disbelief or amazement. It's not a major issue for me - I just feel they could be better.

So, I'm trying to decide: go back to the 530s? Perhaps the UE Triple Fi 10? Maybe the Westone 3?

I'm not asking for advice; I've done my searching and I've read a lot of the comparison threads here. I'm just saying it's bloody hard trying to decide what to spend what is to me a lot of money (around £250) based on reading other people's views, which mainly say that at the level I'm looking at, it's down to personal preference.

You can see how I'm suffering, I'm sure. This is really tough. Sod saving the planet, how to vote in the forthcoming election - this is the really important issue of the moment. I really care about my listening pleasure. What if I get it wrong?

I know: howabout if you lot all send me one of each of all the contenders to try? It'd be just on loan - honest.
devil_face.gif

You've probably seen the thread before, but get the Shure's customized by Fisher since you like the sound. That is, if you still have them and if you're interested in customs.

Good luck

Jan 9, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jajo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've probably seen the thread before, but get the Shure's customized by Fisher since you like the sound. That is, if you still have them and if you're interested in customs.

Good luck

Thanks. Actually, thanks to the prod by dingrn, and after reading up on them, I'm veering to the Westone UM3X. They seem to tick all the boxes, soundwise and comfortwise. I was interested to see on Westone's site that the UM3X are classified as Pro Audio, and the 3s are Personal Listening.

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 20
NineToTheSky;6300110 said:
Thanks for your replies. While I said I wasn't really looking for advice, I do appreciate opinions and suggestions. Anything to help me decide![QUOTE/]
IF you arent looking for advice,why make a new thread then?
on another note,what did you like and dislike in your ie8 and se530,what music do you listen to,is isolation important,what kind of sound are you looking for....?thats will make the decision even easier.

Jan 10, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #10 of 20
Get the cyclone PR1's for like $50 and see how you like those.

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #11 of 20
whats the big deal about shure's cable issue? You get a new pair semi-annually!

I say get the se530's and when the cable cracks, use the warranty and sell the unopened box to buy the upcoming se535, which apparently has a detachable cable.

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #12 of 20
I am sympathetic to your plight ninetothesky (please forgive me for the absence of punctuation). Mrs Nine's indifference to it is yet another manifestation of the problem with wimmin.

From one who has also suffered to another, I offer you solace in the form of the TF10. Now is the time for healing.

Jan 10, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #13 of 20
midoo1990;6300512 said:
Quote:

Thanks for your replies. While I said I wasn't really looking for advice, I do appreciate opinions and suggestions. Anything to help me decide![QUOTE/]
IF you arent looking for advice,why make a new thread then?

This is a prime example of the sort of response that you guaranteed to get in a thread like this; and as nearly all the threads here are like this you're guaranteed to get it. If you ask what iems to get, someone will say 'this has been discussed before. Why don't you search?' And if you say that you have searched, then someone says 'Why are you asking if you've already searched?' On that basis, once someone has created the first thread, that would end all discussion of that model.

Quote:

on another note,what did you like and dislike in your ie8 and se530,what music do you listen to,is isolation important,what kind of sound are you looking for....?thats will make the decision even easier.

ie8: too boomy bassy, too vague mid range, volume is 25-30% less than my 530s. Very light and comfortable to wear, relatively cheap, but having broken them trying to take off a Comply, I'm frightened that they're not durable enough.

530: I like them a lot, very comfortable, good bass, good soundstage, but I find the trebles harsh and too resonant. Tiring to listen to at relatively high volumes. The breaking cables is a big issue for me as mine broke just out of warranty, and Shure don't want to know. I can't afford £250 every two and a bit years.

So, after a lot of research here and elsewhere, the UM3X seems to tick most of the boxes. Not likely to break, comfortable, good bass (not heavy but realistic), involving, not tiring..

But I'm still open to opinions and suggestions. Despite having read a lot, I still want to learn and hear more.

Jan 10, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by swayne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it helps you decide:

Triple.fi £209
UM3X £260
W3 £290

I'm not sure what one to get either and I've shortlisted it to these three.

Steven.

I've discounted the Triple Fis because almost everyone comments on how uncomfortable they are, and how difficult it is to get a good fit.

Jan 10, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #15 of 20
I initially ruled the TF10's out based on reports of problems associated with fit and piercing highs. Having tried the SE530, IE8 and the UM3X, I think I would have been quite content had I purchased the TF10 from the outset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back