Another bloody "help me choose an earphone" thread! Looking for comparisons to the X10, please ...
Apr 25, 2011 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

franklyshankly

100+ Head-Fier
I did my due diligence searching threads but couldnt find anything comparing my specific phones of interest.

Looking to upgrade from X10s to something definitively better in every way. So far I've narrowed it down to the Westone 3, Monster Turbine Coppers, Westone 4. The X10s are the only IEM I've ever heard, so it's hard for me to compare or to even imagine what any other IEM sound like. I'm hoping someone has experience with the X10s and some of the phones I'm looking at, and can give me a quick, rough comparative description.

What the X10's were lacking in sound: bass was nice and strong but too boomy. Mids seemed VERY recessed (so confusing to me when people say it has forward mids), and smoothed over to the point of being muffled, especially with vocals. The highs also seemed recessed or just not really there at all. Too warm, too soft, not enough clarity at all. Bass was a good amount, nice punch on some songs, wouldnt want to sacrifice too much of that, but it's def not high quality bass for my ears and it is always there for all kinds of music (makes Nick Drake's voice sound boomy! How in the world?)

Here is what I'm looking for:

- Isolation: would really prefer great isolation, this is important. Rules out the IE8 completely, and any others with same fit issue.

- Comfort: never tried anything besides the X10, so all I know is that I dont want to have to shove the thing into my brain in order for it to sound good.

- Durability: I do take these on the road everyday, so I need durable phones. These are pretty microphonic, too, IMO, so if that could be reduced, great!!!

- Sound quality: I like strong deep but tight and defined bass. I need to be able to feel strong bass presence. This rules out the Ety stuff based on my understanding. Also rules out Shure 530 and 535? Too bad, because I think I would really really appreciate the mids on those things. May have to give them a try just to see.

- Mids: I LOVE mids, because for me this is where the music happens, the highs and lows kind of give support and nuance, but the mids need to be present. However, I do NOT like "warm", "dark", or overly smooth overall sound. I realize that some music is recorded to sound warm and dark and smooth and that's fine, I appreciate that, but I dont want phones that make everything sound like this. I think I prefer the energy that comes from clarity and precision, with forward clear mids, highs that go really high without losing detail, and all supported by strong bass.

- Not sure about soundstage, but since I like energetic, clear sound, I dont think a super airy expansive stage is that desirable. I want to feel like the music is close to me, if that makes sense. Separation seems important, which is part of clarity for me. I hate the X10s for rock or anything complicated because they tend to get crowded and muddy and indistinct.

Most importantly, though, I am wondering if the phones I'm looking at will offer a clear and substantial improvement over the X10s. I realize that at a certain point, within a given price range (for me, that range is up to $400) there are no clear upgrades, just different preferences. Is the X10 in this category? Is the X10 in the same league as the W3, W4, and Copper? Since I'm not terribly picky (although, getting pickier and pickier the further I get into this, LOL) I'm hoping that any of these will offer a substantial upgrade over the X10, that way I don't have to worry about the marginal differences.

Also, I listen to a HUGE variety of music, literally all kinds, every kind. I love music, so I need a phone that is versatile. If I'm listening to GZA I want slamming rumbling bass, and sharp highs (because that is how the music is supposed to sound!) but if I want to listen to Philip Glass, I want lots and lots of clarity, detail, and not much bass when there shouldnt be any. Is this too much to ask? The Westone 4 seems very versatile and I'm very interested in it, but people on here dont seem super enthused by it, no WOW factor. I'm having a hard time understanding how a $400 headphone could fail to produce any such moments! Especially when the phone is admittedly great, superb even ... does a phone have to be bassy and splashy to be WOW?

Anyways, I appreciate anyone willing to read this nonsense and give me some feedback!

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 9
W4 is probably not for you if you don't want airy, or smooth sound. W4 is more about refinement than about power (although are plenty powerful with some good eq'ing) so W3 or the Turbines are probably more suitable for you. 

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 9
I'm interested in upgrading myself, would the UE Tripple.Fi 10 be considered to be a upgrade?

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
I'm interested in upgrading myself, would the UE Tripple.Fi 10 be considered to be a upgrade?

I wouldn't call it an upgrade as much as a sideways move. You won't lose any SQ - TF10 has better highs, but you have the fit issues involved with the TF10's ungainly earpieces. X10 cannot be beaten for comfort.

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
W3 or the Turbines are probably more suitable for you.

Thanks! Any thoughts on how they would compare to the X10s? I'm really looking for comparisons, so how would you compare the X10 to the W4?
I guess it's hard for me to understand certain descriptions of sound. If a headphone is totally neutral, then can it still be "smooth"? In your opinion the W4 actually smooths over details, rather than bringing them forward?

Any other thoughts?

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #6 of 9
How would someone compare the W3 to the X10? I know they are both known for bass, but I imagine (rightly or wrongly) that the W3 is marketed more toward audiophile (aka slightly less bass compared to X10, but higher quality bass), whereas the X10 is maybe marketed more towards bassheads?

I'd really appreciate a comparison between the W3 and X10 in terms of bass, mids, highs, detail retrieval (is this the same as clarity?), and separation (again, not sure if this is different that clarity) and overall quality.

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #7 of 9
W4 I don't consider to be a completely neutral phone. They sounded muddy and warm out of the box, so I gave them about 8 hours constant play without listening to them to give the crossovers some time to work in - They still sound a little mid-heavy with a flat eq, but there is still a nice refined bass presence and no roll off on the treble. X10 is more boomy; but has excellent separation between bottom end, mid-bass and mids - surgically good. They do lose out noticeably on higher frequencies in comparison to W4 but are just as punchy lower end - which initially surprised me since W4 has 2 dedicated bass drivers to X10's lone armature. I don't have any listening experience with either W3 or MTC but from all the feedback I've read they are both more aggressive "forward" earphones, which is kind of what you're looking for. I should point out I don't really listen to rock music so I don't know how any of these phones go with heavily distorted guitar or screaming vocals or death metal. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back