Another "best" thread - Best Full-size Circum-aural Rock Headphone <$100?
Jul 8, 2006 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

XenoX101

Head-Fier
So my friend wants to buy some headphones for home use that will sound better than what $100 would bring him in the speaker dept. Anyway he listens to rock pretty much all the time so I'm seeing if I can help him out.

What would you choose if you needed to buy a pair of full-size circum-aural headphones for listening to rock with a budget limit of $100?

Thanks guys.

Jul 8, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #5 of 15
Koss A/250 if he can find them.

Jul 10, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn

Ditto. Koss is only selling the A130 on ebay now, though. They seem to be well worth a try.

Jul 10, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Of the cans I've personally tried, I can't find anything I like better than the AKG k81dj's.

Aren't those more or less the kind that rest on your ears, as opposed to going around them?

Jul 10, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn

I have a pair of these, actually listening to Tool's 10,000 Days on them right now. I got lucky and managed to get these through the Koss distributor on eBay about a month ago for $40 shipped. I've been in the process of burning them in over the past week or so. They sound great for closed especially for that price.

Jul 10, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #11 of 15
I'm kinda lookin at the same thing, but closed for Rock. My current closed cans are the Eggos, which doesn't really have the best sound signature for rock.

Perhaps something with the Grado 'punch,' and better instrument seperation (a recent quibble I've had with my SR80s, in complicated portions of songs, all the instruments seem to meld together into an unrecognizable mass).

Jul 12, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #15 of 15
From the K81DJ thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick
So, what's the consensus on this headphone, I'm at work and don't want to read through the entire thread... Are they good "rock" cans (classic rock, indie, alternative)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Putting aside the KSC-35 and IEMs? Portably, the best.

Examples - The Who - Live at Leeds? Awesome. The Decemberists? Excellent. Radiohead? Blast your ears off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick
My wallet hates you, Jahn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back