Another Best Solder Thread...
Oct 15, 2006 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

FA22RaptorF22

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, What is the BEST Kester solder here.

I need you guys to pick the best for SMD and the best for like xlr, 1/4, 1/8 and stuff.
Just provide the links to them. Please pick the best size and type.

I've soldered for a long time, but you guys are more experienced with these types of solder in respect to audio...so ya...im going toward the no-clean stuff as i usually never clean my joints.

Thanks again.

List of all the stuff:
http://www.all-spec.com/1/category/S...BWire/ALLSPEC/

Oct 16, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by FA22RaptorF22
I need you guys to pick the best for SMD and the best for like xlr, 1/4, 1/8 and stuff.

You could also ask people to drive to your house and do the soldering for you...

If someone tells you a solder name such as cardas or wonder or kester, why don't you google it yourself?

Have you used the search button? Have you visited other forums such as www.diyaudio.com ?

What I mean is, there are already plenty of threads about solder, even more over at diyaudio and you will get your answers if you read these threads.

Oct 16, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by FA22RaptorF22
Hey, What is the BEST Kester solder here.

I've soldered for a long time, but you guys are more experienced with these types of solder in respect to audio...so ya...im going toward the no-clean stuff as i usually never clean my joints.

Thanks again.

List of all the stuff:
http://www.all-spec.com/1/category/S...BWire/ALLSPEC/

For someone who has so much experience, you sure ask a lot of questions on what to use...

There is no "best", everyone will have different opinions on what exactly is determined to be the "best". If you have never soldered before, I could see how asking this would be helpful however, since you are already experienced at soldering, why switch to something else if whatever you're using already works for you?

Oct 16, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 15
Why would i ask someone to do it for me? I do it for everyone else. I ask you guys this question because in relation to audio you probly know the best type of solder to get. And it is easier to ask then to find...

I am leaning toward the kester no clean, since i rarly clean the joints, I just was looking for the best size....an all around good size, but mostly for like xlr and 1/8"

Oct 16, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
For someone who has so much experience, you sure ask a lot of questions on what to use...

There is no "best", everyone will have different opinions on what exactly is determined to be the "best". If you have never soldered before, I could see how asking this would be helpful however, since you are already experienced at soldering, why switch to something else if whatever you're using already works for you?

Well i tend to be an opinionated person and try to act like i know everything...so im trying to ASK for a change...and you guys are more experienced in this area...i just want to use the best i can find for my interconnects and such...

Thanks.

Oct 16, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 15
Get some Kester 44 solder, any kind. I say 63/37 .025"

Get some Kester SP-44 flux

Get a bottle of 99% alcohol from Walgreens and start cleaning your work.

Do this, and you cannot honestly post another thread about solder. If it cannot be done with the above, there's problems.

Oct 16, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 15
Second to what ozshadow said.
Kester 44 series 60/40 or 63/37 solder. They are pretty nice and cheap.

You'd better start cleaning flux if you have not done so far.
As you said, some flux is not really corrosive, but almost of them are sort of conductive.

What? Flux is conductive?
Yes. Actually flux is not considered as a conductive material, but it is in fact conductive... very little though. This may not cause any problem with bulky big circuits but it usually causes problem like noise or malfunction with complicated or sensitive circuits especially with ICs. If you haven't experience this, you are either very lucky or mainly work with circuit with bigger patterns and parts. All consumer electonics circuits are cleaned before packed in for market, and there's a reason for that. No clean flux sounds better than normal flux, but flux is flux.

I know cleaning flux is really tedious and boring. But I think everybody should clean flux off the board because it is better safe than sorry.

Oct 17, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #11 of 15
.025" is small but usable for almost anything. Even cables. It's far easier to use something like .025 and add more when you need it than it is to try to solder something small with really big solder. .015 is too small for general use and too expensive. I used .025 for smd work just fine.

I find Kester 44 to be the most workable. Water clean and no clean are actually a bit less workable. And flux is your friend. If you are gonna use the 44 flux, may as well use the 44 solder.

Oct 17, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #13 of 15
I like to avoid silver, so I use copper content solder. This is one of my mini cords based on copper, UHPLC copper wire, large 3.5mm plugs (brass w/24k plate), with copper content solder.

newplugcord.jpg

rs1smile.gif

Oct 17, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #14 of 15
I disagree with oz. I tried both .025" and .015", and I like the latter. It flows virtually instantaneously onto pads, and is easy to maneuver in tight spots. I use the Kester No Clean "245" plus Kester "186" flux pen (so I do need to clean anyway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back