Another Audio Technica CM7SV post
Jan 27, 2010 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

yklee118

100+ Head-Fier
This is Another Audio Technica CM7SV vs CM700SV Post

Today I felt like giving my experience with the two former flagship earbud style earphones a very thorough review. The Source material is from Usher Audio labeled the Diamond Revolution Sampler celebrating the new Diamond tweeter driver DSD. Using the first and second track of the disc, I was able to completely evaluate the differences between the two earphones.

Audio Technica CM7SV
Was the flagship earphone in 2006 and is subsequently replaced by the CM700, the CM7SV (Silver while the Ti is TItanium) has a frequency range of 10hz to 45kHz, however with a response curve. Upon listening to them during the first twenty hours, the CM7SV had a flat auditory response. Further examination through careful testing, it is 10-Hz to 45-Hz +/- 3db. SPL of 110-db/mV which the tester stated that it was impressive for a earphone. I only cared about the sound. So here I go.

The Audio Technica CM7SV has a relatively flat frequency response with a sound signature closely related to the AKG K701 and the Audio Technica A900 closed headphones. The Soundstage was rather expansive, extending well beyond what imagined as though I am sitting three rows back center stage while the instruments in space are detailed, loud, and clear while my perception of depth is further enhanced. Warmth also comes to mind as there virtually no harshness in the sound signature. I detect no treble, mid-range, and low frequency peaks in terms of audio listening portion.

I run all of the ear/headphones through portable headphone amps except for two of the Sennheisers and one AKG. The Amp of choice is the Little Dot MKI with the LT1364 op-amp upgrade and the interconnect used is provided by Moon Audio (Blue Dragon Version-1). The music played through these earphones can be summed up as very musical, warm, and with excellent soundstage representation. I actually like the music played out through the CM7SV especially when listening to a wide range of music. Using Stanley Thomas Keiser's Secret Island album as another jazz benchmark, the CM7 really makes the listener feel like being in a nightclub. All of the subtle details are reproduced cleanly without any harshness and sibilance. No overemphasis of high, mid, and or low frequencies, which means no boomy bass or tinny treble. Vocals come in loud and clear very rich overtones.

Overall this earphone provides great long-term comfort for many hours of listening enjoyment.

The Replacement - Audio Technica CM700SV

This is the replacement for the CM7SV, which is suppose to be an improvement in many regards including cable arrangement. The First thing I would like to say, the CM700 is built as well as the CM7 with a fixed head position. The driver diameter is actually the same as size the outgoing CM7SV (both are 15.5-mm however the the CM7 uses a slightly thinner foil diaphragm) and magnetic structure is the same overall. Build quality is excellent and both are made in Japan. Since the cable arrangement has changed, then would expect it to be for the better and it is. The Asymmetrical cable is something I prefer over the Y-split that the CM700SV features.
duggehsmile.png

Fit into the ears is slightly different and can sometimes fall out if one shakes the head too hard. Using the same Source material, the soundstage is even more expansive than with the CM7SV. The treble is slightly emphasized as well as the slight increase in the boom factor of low frequencies. The mid-range is very smooth as it allows for seamless roll of high and low frequency ranges. Warmth is still present with the CM700 however there is a slight sibilance in the upper frequency registers and very subtle nuances aren't naturally represented. Overall with a great listening feel and a welcome change when coming off of the CM7SV.

To sum up the features of the CM700SV, very expansive soundstage, warm and sonically transparent with a slight hint of treble boost in the upper frequency registers. Very good like the CM7 in long term listening.

Conclusion

Both are excellent earphones with individual defining attributes, however for the fullness of the listening enjoyment, I have to stick with the CM7SV. The CM700SV is excellent in many regards as it provides a fresh perspective, however it loses some of the rich overtones and the full sounding feeling that the former flagship earphone offers.

That is my stance and I welcome the opinions.

Everybody have a great week and take care.
dt880smile.png

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 2
Great review. The ATH-CM7 are a great pair of earphones. One of my all time favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back