Another attempt at source upgrade - advice needed
Jul 13, 2006 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

replytoken

500+ Head-Fier
I am one again trying to upgrade the source for my home system. Several earlier attempts led me to upgrade all other components, but the CDP! I have made peace with my system and am reasonably happy with the sound, but am wondering if I should upgrade the source and before exiting the "equipment junkie merry-go-round". Currently in the line-up is a Sony SCD-CE595 that I purchased last December for temporary duty until I made a more permanent decision. I must say that the Sony is not a bad player at all out of the box. And the changer has very high WAF!

So, in January I initially considered two possibilities within my budget - upgrade the 595 with TRL or purchase a Rega Apollo. Now, I have a third possibility - an Ack Dack 1.2 with the possibility of a CDP or Universal as transport (the Sony only has optical out, and I have not yet picked a candidate for the transport). All three appeal to me because they have reputations for sound very smooth, musical and "analog".

But, I know that DAC's have thier proponents and critics (with good points in each camp), mods also have their proponents and critics, and the Apollo is at the top end of what I would spend. I do not want to buy a used CDP, nor am I interested in any products sold from overseas (service/support are important for me). My goals are good value for the money spent, good equipment that will last me for some time to come, and equipment that "plays well with others" (read good synergy without a lot of fuss). I want something that will shine in my system, but not outclass it (although I doubt that the latter could happen for less than $1K) Any advice on which path I should consider would be greatly appreciated. My equipment is in my profile, and my EAR++ is pulling double duty as a headphone amp and pre-amp.

Help me get off this merry-go-round a happy camper! Thanks!

Jul 13, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 3
If you haven't already got a decent source chances are you will find better value for money in a standalone player instead of transport + cable + dac. The Rega Apollo is certainly a nice unit and I would try and find somewhere to have a listen to it, as you should with all gear before you buy it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the information. I will be trying an Apollo in the near future. But, just so I am clear about things, you stated in another thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
That said DACs are a great way to get a good source on the cheap. A pioneer DVD player coupled with a nice DAC will get you very far indeed, but it will never be a star batsman on the field.

So, for purposes of this discussion, would you consider the Apollo a "star batsman", albeit a modest one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back