Another Advice Thread!
Dec 31, 2011 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

OsirisEG

New Head-Fier
I'm new here, and am looking into getting a nice pair of 'immersive' headphones.

I currently own the Astro A40's, which are indeed nice, and have had them for over 3 years. However, I want something more focused on audio, than a multitude of other things.

I will be using these primarily with my PC, however, I do have the Astro mix-amp.
My PC sound card is: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Championship with Front Panel

I am willing to spend up to $300
I want something that not only sounds phenomenal, but will withstand the test of time. In other words, I like high quality!
I'm not that worried about bass. I play games like Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Skyrim, BF3, etc. etc. So, I really focus on the word: 'immersion'.

I will apologize for adding another thread about this. However, I can't utilize the other threads about this stuff, because we all have different taste; and budgets.

Thank you for your time, and for your feedback!

Dec 31, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 13

Quote:
I'm new here, and am looking into getting a nice pair of 'immersive' headphones.

I currently own the Astro A40's, which are indeed nice, and have had them for over 3 years. However, I want something more focused on audio, than a multitude of other things.

I will be using these primarily with my PC, however, I do have the Astro mix-amp.
My PC sound card is: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Championship with Front Panel

I am willing to spend up to $300
I want something that not only sounds phenomenal, but will withstand the test of time. In other words, I like high quality!
I'm not that worried about bass. I play games like Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Skyrim, BF3, etc. etc. So, I really focus on the word: 'immersion'.

I will apologize for adding another thread about this. However, I can't utilize the other threads about this stuff, because we all have different taste; and budgets.

Thank you for your time, and for your feedback!

Good immersion can be had from either the Audio Technica AD900 or AKG Q701 ~ remember both are open
 headphones that will leak sound in and out, however if you're after sound stage then only an open headphone
 can achieve this.

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 13

Quote:

That I absolutely love my pair that's for sure 
smile.gif
 I've got the older model ~ 325i

Not really the sort of headphone you'd want though for gaming, they're quite forward
 sounding and very intimate. Best used for rock, metal, and jazz ~ any music where
 you want to feel like you're sitting in the very front row. They reproduce guitar electric
 or acoustic to a world class standard. They can also be quite bright with crappy recordings,
 and might be bright with the Xi-Fi ~ I never owned the Creative but back when I had the
 Essence STX and Auzentech Bravura ~ they were a tad bright sometimes.

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 13
They look 'High Quality' --I like that!
smile.gif

What makes them less immersive than other headphones? I apologize, I'm not completely familiar with a lot of the 'details', when it comes to headphone technology.
redface.gif

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
They look 'High Quality' --I like that!
smile.gif

What makes them less immersive than other headphones? I apologize, I'm not completely familiar with a lot of the 'details', when it comes to headphone technology.
redface.gif

They're 'on ear' supra aural headphones instead of 'over ear' circumaural like the AKG Q701 ~ this plays with the
 sound stage immersion. Different acoustic tune overall between the two, the Q701 tends to have a middle row
 presentation too but spatial imaging is top notch, bass on the Q701 is quite light especially out of a soundcard, they
 sound a little more robust in the bass register with solid beefy amplification.

The 325is on the other hand is very easy to amplify properly, your sound card will do 

Jan 1, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 13
I have done further research in the matter and have come to the conclusion that I will purchase the DT 990's for gaming. However, I have to determine what ohm I will purchase. I'll be using these primarily on my PC like stated previously. My sound card is the Creative Titanium Xi-Fi Fatal1ty Championship series.

Once I receive an answer, (kinda hoping that card can power the 600ohm) I will be making my purchase.

Thank you!

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #10 of 13
for gaming i would go for dt770pro , very easy to drive aswell

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
I have done further research in the matter and have come to the conclusion that I will purchase the DT 990's for gaming. However, I have to determine what ohm I will purchase. I'll be using these primarily on my PC like stated previously. My sound card is the Creative Titanium Xi-Fi Fatal1ty Championship series.

Once I receive an answer, (kinda hoping that card can power the 600ohm) I will be making my purchase.

I may be wrong since I do not have one to verify, but as far as I know, the Creative X-Fi cards are limited to 1 V RMS output, with possibly no dedicated headphone amplifier (for low impedance/high current) ? If that is the case, it would barely drive the 250 Ohm version (with source material that has a wide dynamic range, you may find it lacking in power even at the maximum volume). For 600 Ohm, you would need either an external amplifier (the FiiO E9 is a popular cheap option, but obviously there are better ones if you spend more), or a different sound card: for example, the Xonar Essence STX (same amplification ability as the E9, but worse support for games than the X-Fi cards), or the Auzentech X-Fi Forte (also decent amplification, same DSP as on the Creative cards, but the hardware is reported to be unreliable and prone to failures).

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 13
Cifani090, I already own the Astro A40's, I'm looking for headphones for pure immersion, and it seems everyone through Google thinks the DT 880 and the DT 990 are the best headphones for gaming. xD

If what it takes to have best gaming immersion requires an amp, I guess I will buy the amp too. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back