Another advice thread
Apr 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DanielBurns11

100+ Head-Fier
I hate to take advantage of the collective knowledge of the head-fi again, but I am in need of some help. I basically have two requirements, the headphones MUST be/have.

- Circumaural
- A long cord (about 6ft/1.83m)

Also my budget is $80... I know, I'm poor...

Other than that, I don't have any requirements, I just want the best sounding headphones for the price. I listen to any kind of music I can get my hands on, but check my sig link if you need to know. The last pair of headphones I had were the AKG K81DJ's, which I LOVED, so I might be a bit of a basshead, but it's not necessary to have a ton of bass.

Thanks for any help, and all the help already given in the threads I've been reading.

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 8
If you like closed headphones, the ATH-M50s are excellent value for money, and only a few dollars over your listed budget ($90 or less shipped, if you buy from authorized dealers on ebay).

They're circumaural, and the straight-cord version is 11 feet long. I have the coiled version, and it reaches 6 feet while barely stretching the coils.

The sound is fairly neutral, with a bit of a bump in the bass frequencies. They're not "basshead" headphones, but you may be pleased with the bass detail it brings to the table.

Check em out!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 8
x2 on the M50's. Creative Aurvana Live (almost the same as Denon D1001's) would also be worth looking into.
What music do you listen to?

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by UNHchabo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like closed headphones, the ATH-M50s are excellent value for money, and only a few dollars over your listed budget ($90 or less shipped, if you buy from authorized dealers on ebay).

To explicitly ask a question I alluded to in my last post: Do you have a need for either open or closed headphones?

The general consensus on Head-Fi seems to be that open headphones give better sound for a given price range, but that closed headphones are more easily able to deliver strong bass. Plus if you need isolation, you pretty much have to go for closed headphones.

Apr 16, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by UNHchabo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
($90 or less shipped, if you buy from authorized dealers on ebay).

Are there such sellers on ebay?

M50 now seem to be the in thing, just like the Equation audio RP21's were a few years ago. The nearest suggestion I have are the RP21's or the Ultrasone HFI 450's, but from all the rave reviews about the A-T's, i don't think the Ultrasone's can compete.

Apr 17, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by NapalmK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on the M50's. Creative Aurvana Live (almost the same as Denon D1001's) would also be worth looking into.
What music do you listen to?

Check the link in my sig, it will give you a good idea of what I listen to.

Thanks for the recs guys.

I have no need for specifically closed or open headphones, I just want whatever sounds best. I know that probably means open, but on the outside chance that a pair of closed headphones really excel, I don't want to just write them off because they are closed.

And as I've said, I do like bass, but it isn't a deal breaker. I'd much prefer a balanced 'phone over a bassy one, but I'd rather it be heavy on bass than light if it has to go one way or the other.

Just scouring threads I have noticed a lot of praise for the ATH AD700, they seem like they'd fit my needs. Any opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back