Another A2 vs AV40 or whatever <$200 speakers comparison
Jun 18, 2012 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sycho

100+ Head-Fier
I know it's annoying to see people asking about which headphones to get, especially since this website was dedicated for headphones, not speakers, and not enough people owning both speakers to determine which one is truly better, but looking at the title, which pair of speakers should I get for my computer? Size is not an issue. My budget goes for less than $200 not including tax, and I live in Canada. I have my own pair of ATH-M50s, so I will not be considering any headphones unless you have a link to a cheap pair of HD 598s. :)

So far, I have heard good things about: M-audio AV40, M-audio BX5 D2 (generally above $200), Swan M10 (not found around here), Swan M200MkII (generally above $200 as well as not  easy to find around here), Audioengine 2, Audioengine 5+ (for ~$300 in NCIX.com), Klipsch Promedia 2.1

I can purchase the M-audio AV40 for $135, the Audioengine 2 for $150 when it goes on sale again, Audioengine 5 for $300, Klipsch Promedia 2.1 for $180, M-audio BX5 D2 w/ shipping for $250.

Before I go on, I'm planning to get a headphone DAC/Amp (the FiiO E10), and do wish to be able to connect those speakers with it via the line out port or whatever works.

I wish to use it for primarily rock, D&B, instrumental (post-rock, epic game and movie soundtracks, orchestral, etc.), and jazz, though for any other music to not sound terrible or muddy. Bass is not an issue, but it should be at least present and true to the music, and should to cover at least 120 degrees of the room facing straight with loud enough volume to reach up to 3.5m of the room.

TL;DR: Speakers <$200 OR cheap for $200-$300, decent sound quality, not overflowing bass but listenable, compatible with FiiO E10, decent angle coverage with good listenable volume at a distance up to 3.5m, no headphones unless link to cheap HD 598.

Thanks.

Jun 18, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 11
Some speakers you mention are powered speakers. It is somewhat redundant to amplify the signal that would enter them and in some case could damage the speaker.

or do you mean having an extra line out out of the speaker to plug the headphone?

in order of quality of what ppl usually say is :

M-audio bx5 D2
Audioengine A5
M-audio Av40
Audioengine A2
Klipsch Promedia 2.1

Here be thread that might interest you :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/503088/2-0-speakers-compilation-best-for-500

Edit: I know this sound cliche but the best way to see if a speaker is up to your expectation is to go to a shop and try them out. Bring a cd of your songs and ask to try the speaker out. (I know best buy hold the bx5D2 and have a 7 day return policy)

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #3 of 11

This is kind of like the connection I am expecting, where I can use a mini to RCA cable from Monoprice or whatever other cable that works to connect the FiiO E10 and the speakers (AV40 I am looking at).

So now I'm looking at the AV40 and the BX5s, would they blow up or be compatible if I used the FiiO E10?

Jun 18, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 11
Using the line out for the speakers with the FiiO E10, will the sound quality be better (I assume so since I am not using the on-board sound card), along without having my speakers explode due to extra amp?

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 11
From the datasheet provided in the manual of the AV 40 : http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/manuals/AV%2040%20User%20Guide_EN.pdf

You can see that the headphone jack is already amplified. I doubt the sound would be better. It would just be amplified, twice once by the circuit inside the speaker and a second time by the FiiO E10. I do not think it would damage the FiiO but I also doubt that it would improve sound quality.

Sorry if that not the answer you were looking for hope it was helpful nonetheless.

Jun 19, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #9 of 11
Ah nice! I have the same question(s) and queries in mind.

1. Which speaker is better in terms of sound quality?
2. How can I use my E17 with the active speakers?
3. Is there any option to add a sub with this setup?

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #10 of 11
1) The bx5a D2 is reported has having superior high/mid then the av-40 but the av-40 sport better bass from what I have heard people say.

2) I do not beleive you can witouth damaging the speakers

3)You can with this magic thread : http://www.head-fi.org/t/614965/hooking-up-a-subwoofer-to-my-m-audio-av-40s
proton007 idea should work fine.

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
1) The bx5a D2 is reported has having superior high/mid then the av-40 but the av-40 sport better bass from what I have heard people say.

2) I do not beleive you can witouth damaging the speakers

1. The AV40 may have more bass but not better bass

2. The FIIO E10 has a seperate line out on the back panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back