another 5751 saga: RCA - W1
Sep 8, 2004 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

robert

500+ Head-Fier
spent most of the weekend swapping the little buggers in my MAD/HD. Joe's Tube Lore has little good to say about the RCAs, but even compared to a cryo Sylvania, the 1965 W1 really is superb. quiet, soundstage, vanishing distortion.

while a 2 mica, the W1 (and WA) has a heavy U shaped loop that looks to really clamp the micas. could be what makes it a dfferent tube.

i picked this one up from tubeworld some months ago. it's no longer listed, so i don't know where to get any more, alas. and Joe may well be right: the RCAs could be a crap shoot, and i rolled 7.

if i should see one for whatever the going price for NOS is, i'm going to roll em again.

[edit: it's a W1, looks just like the 67 WA]

Sep 8, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 4
I tried an RCA and it was good. But I really liked the Mullard reissue from Groove Tubes. $21....It made a big sound difference IMHO.
cool.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2004 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the review. I would like to start a review tread with pics if I ever get a digital camera and more tubes. How's doing business with TubeWorld? Is that cryo Sylvania from TubeWorld? I might have some Telefunken ECC83 coming.

Sep 8, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReaper
Thanks for the review. I would like to start a review tread with pics if I ever get a digital camera and more tubes. How's doing business with TubeWorld? Is that cryo Sylvania from TubeWorld? I might have some Telefunken ECC83 coming.

service is excellent, and tubes are always as advertised. yes, i got the cryo from them, although it was labeled a Pearl. they seem to be the only ones doing that now. don't know who else re-sells them.

in case anyone wonders, the Sylvania is "just" a 2 mica JAN; so it doesn't start with a high-class pedigree.

it is a little disconcerting to see the variety of 5751s getting smaller in the last year, about as long as i've been tubular. unless someone wants to fess up to a more comprehensive source, just between friends of course; i'll never tell
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back