Another 2 cents, 1 tweak and a big-a** retraction
Nov 17, 2001 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DRCope

Head-Fier
Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa. I screwed up. I was driving the ZOTL out of the tape out of my Audio Note M-2, because I didn't want the signal going through two volume pots. This sounded great on the Senn 600s, but seriously anemic on the AKG K-1000s.

This morning I thought, "What if the DAC 1.1x isn't producing enough volts to drive the ZOTL to full output? What if there's an impedance mismatch?" So I ran the second preamp out to the ZOTL and tried it again.

Holy S**t! The Senns still sound just fine - a little richer than before, but similar. The AKG's were transformed. Much more dynamic, richer balance, greater volume capability, much more relaxed sounding.

I think (from memory) that the Paramours did even better, which is reasonable given that they have 3x the ZOTL's wattage. I can push the ZOTL into clipping, but it has to be pretty damn loud to do it.

The tweak is: REPLACE the STOCK POWER CORD on the ZOTL! I swapped in a Blue Circle BC-61 cord, and the last (until I get rid of another one somehow!) smidgen of electronic edge was gone. As Col. Potter on MASH used to say about his favorite scotch, "Not enough o's in smooooooth to do justice to this stuff." NOT through loss of detail. There's fine low-level detail to burn here, just no extraneous crapola. Makes listening too loud a real risk because one's cue to TURN IT DOWN is usually distortion of one sort or another. I think I need to bypass the vol pot on the ZOTL next . . . .

So now I've got a no-replug-anything solution to fantastic speaker AND headphone listening. Just power up the appropriate amp and listen. Color me HAPPY!

There may be a pair of Senn 600's w/Clou Red cable cropping up in the "For Sale" section in the near future.
tongue.gif

Nov 17, 2001 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 3
There are a heck of a lot of tubes in this chain. A pair of 6DJ8's in the DAC, a 6SN7 in the preamp and 2 12AT7's and 2 MORE 6SN7's in the ZOTL.

This combo does not sound remotely tubey. It sounds like flipping music! Someone used to listening to an all solid state chain would find it startling, but someone accustomed to un-amplified music of any sort would just say, "Yeah? So? Sounds like people singin', playin' and havin' a good time to me."

Gotta go listen some more . . . . .

Nov 17, 2001 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 3
This is great! Looking forward to hearing your further impressions!!

Happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S.
Now, I've got to talk you into trying a sub with the K1k's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back