Annoying video ads
May 25, 2011 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Steve Eddy

Member of the Trade: The Audio Guild
Aka: TempAccount555

Are these video ads something new?

I only noticed them tonight when I heard some woman yammering about a white sale at K-Mart coming through my laptop's speakers. Thought it was coming from some other website I had open at the time, but it was a video ad here on HeadFi.

se

May 25, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 14
Just talking about this on the QQ thread. If they're to remain they need to be auto-play off. Most people only have one box that they use for both listening and browsing Head-Fi. I can see a LOT of people dropping the latter which would not even closely merit any revenue involved.

Cheers!

May 25, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
Just talking about this on the QQ thread. If they're to remain they need to be auto-play off. Most people only have one box that they use for both listening and browsing Head-Fi. I can see a LOT of people dropping the latter which would not even closely merit any revenue involved.

I don't use my laptop for headphone listening, but I do keep the audio up for warnings and notices. And I don't want to have to mute the audio every time I visit HeadFi and then have to remember to unmute it when I leave.

And the ads that have played so far are either white sales at K-Mart, appliance sales at Sears, or how to dress like the Kardashians at shopflick.com.

Give me a break.

se

May 25, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 14

I don't use my laptop for headphone listening, but I do keep the audio up for warnings and notices. And I don't want to have to mute the audio every time I visit HeadFi and then have to remember to unmute it when I leave.

And the ads that have played so far are either white sales at K-Mart, appliance sales at Sears, or how to dress like the Kardashians at shopflick.com.

Give me a break.

se

I was simply estimating.

I agree it is funny how these new ads aren't even close to the target audience of this website.

Cheers!

May 25, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
I'll look into this guys. I haven't seen one yet.

It's not the seeing that's the problem.
biggrin.gif

They're interspersed with the regular, silent ads so you may have to hit refresh or visit a few more forum pages.

Here's a screen cap with the Sears ad playing.

se

May 25, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 14
Hit me too, i started closing everything possible to stop the sears ad from mixing with my music.  Next it was the Kardashians.  I mean most of us are listening to headphones and many with a computer set up.  To have the audio come in with the music that some of us have spent thousands and thousands to perfect if beyond annoying.  Don't know if i will have to rehook up my old transport or just stop reading here unless i am not listening to music........which is like never?!   Hummph!

May 25, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 14
The fact that many of us at Head-Fi are listening to music through our computers whilst we browse is a point I made very clearly in the ticket I submitted.  Again, I'd really like to see this fixed posthaste.

And, again, I'm sorry about this, everyone.

Quote:
Hit me too, i started closing everything possible to stop the sears ad from mixing with my music.  Next it was the Kardashians.  I mean most of us are listening to headphones and many with a computer set up.  To have the audio come in with the music that some of us have spent thousands and thousands to perfect if beyond annoying.  Don't know if i will have to rehook up my old transport or just stop reading here unless i am not listening to music........which is like never?!   Hummph!

May 25, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 14
The fact that many of us at Head-Fi are listening to music through our computers whilst we browse is a point I made very clearly in the ticket I submitted.  Again, I'd really like to see this fixed posthaste.

Thanks Jude! I kinda assumed that site operators were made aware of what new advertising content would be, so initially it was quite disconcerting. Being around the internet for so long though I should've known better.

Cheers!

May 25, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #12 of 14
Permagrin, some of the spots are individually targeted by geography and other factors, so it's challenging to know exactly what ads will be served to someone.  Someone in Germany is almost certainly going to see very different ads from someone in Omaha, Nebraska.  That said, these animated ads obviously do not seem to be individually targeted, so, yes, I wish I'd known about this one previously, as I'd have obviously declined it.

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks Jude! I kinda assumed that site operators were made aware of what new advertising content would be, so initially it was quite disconcerting. Being around the internet for so long though I should've known better.

Cheers!

Aug 19, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #13 of 14

They're baaaaaaaack,..

Sort of.

This time in the form of a rollover landmine.

It otherwise sits there quietly and harmlessly enough.

But if your mouse cursor happens to pass over the rollover prompt (as it did for me when I was moving up to click on the homepage icon in Firefox)...

*BOOM!*

You've got Holly Robinson Peete trying to get you to buy candy to rot your kids' teeth.

Startled the Schiit out of me.

se

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #14 of 14
starburst is yelling at me to buy starbursts 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back