Annoying Static Noise
Apr 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sunjigglet

100+ Head-Fier

So I came across this video on Grooveshark as I was trying to listen to some music.
This video popped up as an ad, but the music (to me) sounded pretty nice, so I figured I'd give it a listen.
I really like the music, but I'm getting an annoying amount of static noise from my headphones whenever the people clap.
It seems to me that my headphones have a difficult time pronouncing the highs and the lows at the same time... but I wouldn't really know.

Is this a known issue with headphones (and/or speakers)? 
I watched the video using Sony MDR-XD100's (very low-cost headphones). Maybe better headphones might help?
I haven't tried other headphones and/or speakers quite yet..

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 7
This is more a known issue in audio in general and has a lot to do with dynamic range.  It can also be a sign that the amp is turned up too high and the input volume to the amp too low.  This often leads to signal clipping and turns quickly into noise / static.

If you are using an amp, which it appears you are not, turn up the input volume to it to 70% and lower the gain on the amp.  This should avoid clipping the signal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital-to-analog_converter

tells us about harmonic distortion

"THD+N: This is a measurement of the distortion and noise introduced to the signal by the DAC. It is expressed as a percentage of the total power of unwanted harmonic distortion and noise that accompany the desired signal. This is a very important DAC characteristic for dynamic and small signal DAC applications."

Most likely the DAC inside your computer has a very low dynamic range and high harmonic distortion.  Perhaps a simple test would be to feed the signal to your home stereo if you have one and see if the noise goes away.  If it does not then the DAC inside your PC is most likely to blame.  If it does them the issue could very well be an uncontrolled dynamic driver inside your headphones.  I would expect that to be the less likely of the two unless you are listening at very high volumes.

An example of harmonic distortion in headphones can be seen in the following charts.
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=1&graphID[]=1153&graphID[]=1473

See how the Sony headphones have a giant spike around the 3kHz mark?  This means that sounds the driver must produce near this spike are going to be very susceptible to distortion.  It is certainly possible this is what you are hearing, but remember the Sony headphones in these charts are not the ones you own.  I could not find the measurements for your exact model.

Tests

1.)  Try listening to the audio on another system that uses either a soundcard or USB DAC

2.)  Try listening using speakers rather than headphones

3.)  Try another pair of headphones

4.)  Turn the volume down and see if the distortion goes away

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 7
First of all, thank you for the prompt reply. (And sorry for my late reply! lol)

I have tried listening with the laptop speakers, and another pair of headphones.. to be struck with the same issue. So right now, I'm leaning towards the DAC.. But I still have the same problem on my phone, and to a lesser extent my Walkman. (i.e. the noise isn't as annoying)

I get the noise even at the lowest volumes, does this mean anything?
The funny thing is, I have no problems playing the highs alone, or the lows alone. I only get the noise when things get busy in my music.

Thanks for your time. 

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 7
I have this issue with a few other songs on my phone as well.. I just hope I don't have a faulty driver! 

The XD-100s need a higher volume to achieve listening volumes than other headphones/earphones I've used... albeit the Staples brand headset I bought for internet calls. The high volume may be causing the distortion, but I can't be sure.

There isn't a good way of lowering the gain on a laptop or phone, no? 

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 7
Yea, and it's mostly only in the left channel? I'm about 99.8% sure that static is just in the video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back