Annoying roommates?
Dec 5, 2005 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

shaked

New Head-Fier
Okay, I really need to vent. My roommate, who is one of my good friends has been driving me mad. He sleeps all day, and never goes to class anymore. He just kind of hangs out. I have a bunch of crap to do (finals next week) so I wanted to take a nap. Well he listens to very "bass heavy" music. Mostly stuff I don't know, and have no use for. I really could care less. He leaves his bass on like super high ultimate setting, so it just rocks the room all day.

Currently, I got up, with a splitting headache, and turned MY bass all the way up. I have a far superior listening system to his dinky 2.1 and I'm showing him a thing or two about loud. Right now, my music isn't loud at all, but the bass is just dominating everything we own. I'm leaving it on all night. He sleeps all day anyway. I have said things to him (only when I was drunk I hate confrontation).

Anyone else ever experience this?

Dec 6, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 23
I'd try to work things out with him, after all, you live with him. Rather than be immature and try to fight fire with fire, get up and ask him politely to turn his music down.

Dec 6, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 23
How about introducing your roommate to headphones?
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

Dec 6, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 23
yeah one of my roommates listens to a lot of loud rap music (i hate rap)
and all my cans are open so i have to turn them up to rediculus levels to drown out the rap

i just hope my ety's come before next week (finals week)
etysmile.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 23
Tell him that it is finals week so he should turn things down. Depending on your personality, you can be unusually direct and aggressive about this ;0 Leaving mega-bass on all night is likely to disrupt your own sleep and be counterproductive.

I have similar experience as no1likesme, I reply with HD201, which doesn't really work to block it, and Ety ER-4P - if I bother to put them on, its a bit of a hassle and they're slightly uncomfortable, with neither Shure soft flex (don't fit) or foamies (don't seal) working, so I'm thinking of selling them and getting a cheaper IEM because I can't really justify a $180 IEM for portable use directly out of a flash mp3 player.

Dec 6, 2005 at 12:12 PM Post #6 of 23
Open his subwoofer n neatly cut a wire. Fix it up after finals.

Dec 6, 2005 at 12:18 PM Post #7 of 23
My dorm is so small that everyone pretty much lives on top of one another. One of the other fellows insisted upon not only playing dreadful dreck but also gracing us with his off-key karaoke.

After playing my music and similarly singing along (both at volume), I finally made some sarcastic comments about both his tastes and his singing ability. He did not receive them particularly well, but the dorm sure got quiet in a hurry.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't really recommend that approach unless you don't care about his opinion of you. Just level with him and tell him that you need peace and quiet. If he doesn't understand or make an effort, take the opportunity to practice some amateur electrical engineering.

Dec 6, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #9 of 23
You hate confrontation you say. Seems like the biggest problem in this case. This guy is a good friend so the most obvious solution is to talk to him. You don't have to get into an argument with him. Just tell him that it's finals week and you need your peace and quiet now. Just tell him what you need. you're friends, you'd do the same for him, tell him that. And you can even tell him that if there's ever anything he needs from you that he can ask too.

You said that you did say something when you were drunk but what you've said when you were drunk, he might not have taken serious because you were drunk. Do you take drunk people serious? So for all he knows, there is no problem.

Seems to me that a friendly but serious talk most probably will do the trick. All this needs is a little communication IMO.

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #11 of 23
If he's a friend then you should be able to tell him point-black how incredibly rude he's being. Somebody has to. Think of later in life, the poor schmuck he moves into the apartment above...whose life will be a living hell because some friend didn't remind him not to be a selfish person. Tell him you have to be harsh because someone needs to tell him.
tongue.gif

If he can't accept it, then tell him that to save the friendship, you can't live in the same place. No one can.
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 23
Yeah, I over-reacted a tad. I haven't slept in a while, he's been sick with a cough that only bothers him when he has to go to class. This weekend he was fine when we were drinking and he was smoking. Anyway, even if I get peace and quiet, I was still up until 5am because he was coughing all night. I told him to take medicine before and he just said it doesn't work. I'm pretty sure i'm just SOL until break. I really want to cut his subwoofer though, I'm pretty sure he'd get really pissed and think it was just broken. I think watching him fumble with it would make up for everything I've experienced this semester.

This makes me want to start a "College Dorm Life Experiences" discussion

Oh, by the way, I'm a Senior and I've made a mistake in choosing roommates the past two years, so I'm really not a happy camper.

Dec 7, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #13 of 23
Roommates are annoying. He doesn't seem too bad. Almost everyone at college hates their roommate at one time or another. You learn to live with alot and compromise... and to never have a roommate again once you graduate.

Dec 7, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #14 of 23
use to have a flatmate I couldn't stand.

So one day I got some hot dogs let them go off, waited another two weeks so they had "fur" on them and then poured the brine liquid into his milk...
rs1smile.gif

Dec 7, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #15 of 23
When I first went to college, I didn't know anyone there so took my chances with the assigned roomate. They were all goody-goody girlie-girl types that I didn't fit in with at all. They were also rather rude, doing things like coming in from a party (during finals) at 5am and turning on the overhead light. I say things like "they" because though I had one roomate, she was best friends with the girls next door, and we shared a bathroom, so they were always there.

It came to a head when I had a black boyfriend in there with me. It was him, myself, and a friend of ours. We were watching tv. The roomy and her friends kept looking at us sideways and she played herself as a racist when I was next in there by myself.

It's the south, there are still those types around.

The next semester I moved. My chosen roomie dropped out, so I got an exchange student from UMass. Things were fine at first, but it became clear that it was her room really, not mine. It came to a head when she asked if her bf could visit for the weekend. I have friends I can crash with so no problem. The weekend turned into two weeks and the guy stole ram out of my computer. Didn't even try to hide it, came in and the screwdriver was right there. This two weeks were finals again. Thank goodness for understanding friends.

After that, I kept the dorm to myself. I would have loved to move off-campus but my parents wouldn't have it. In retrospect their reasoning is still stupid, but it may be because of it that I kept my friends. It's tough to be roomates and friends sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back