Annoying pops and crackles
Mar 24, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #16 of 18
Hey, I just want to say thanks for starting up the thread, cause it fixed my popping and crackling problem. I used the DPC latency checker, discovered there was a periodic lag. Tried disabling a series of stuff, couldn't find the problem. So followed the site recommendation, downloaded RATTV3. Toyed with it for a bit, found out that acpi.sys was causing lag. Looked into my device manager again,... found that ACPI controls laptop power management and since my battery was not charging properly (old laptop)... i disable it... then all the cracking and popping vanished! i couldn't believe that's what was causing the problem! THanks OP for starting the thread and MrKazador for suggesting the solution! I am listening to 24/96 music with no crackling and popping... oh so sweet...

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sschmeichel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I just want to say thanks for starting up the thread, cause it fixed my popping and crackling problem. ...found out that acpi.sys was causing lag. Looked into my device manager again,... found that ACPI controls laptop power management

Welcome to the world of a properly running PC, brother. (No ACPI!)

Mar 25, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #18 of 18
Last night, i listened for a few more hours and still found cracking... today, got pissed went and bought a pcmcia usb 2.0 card for $8. Now I think I am crackle free... Finally... no more stuttering... but i am embarassed to say, i cannot hear the difference between 16/48 and 24/96. the dac says 24/96, but i am not sure if its really 24/96, since i cannot hear the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back