annoying noise from speakers when mobile phone is about to go off
Jul 22, 2005 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JeroendeV

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am currently using an M-audio LX4 2.1 system out of my onboard soundcard (ditched Av-710 because of crappy software), but everytime my mobile phone is about to go off or I get too close to them when I am on the phone they start flipping out.

I'm not a techie but I figure it has to do something with electromagnetic fields? However, my Audio Technica ATH500's are not bothered at all. Is there anything I can do about this or does anyone have a good resource for more information on the subject?

Thanks,

Jeroen

Jul 22, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 8
I get the same noise......
Dcsha-dsun Dcsha-dsun Dcsha-dsun Dcsha-dsun...

think its normal when a mobile is near speakers.

Just imagine what the mobile is doing to your brain....
eek.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm on Sprint PCS, and I get it too. Now I just leave my mobile in the other room. Mine gets the static intermittently, which is, I assume, the phone checking with the network for status and what not. My speakers should be shielded, but I'm not sure. Buying more speakers with more shielding might help, but other than that, I don't think you can do anything.

Jul 22, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 8
Computer speaker frequently aren't too radiation proof. People have heard 'em rectify AM broadcasts as well. (It's mostly the amplifier that gets disturbed, thus no noise on cans.) Try ferrite beads/rings etc. near the beginning and end of the cables, or coil part of the cable up around a ferrite bar if you should have any spare. For some more tips, you can ask folks who've tried to make computers "shortwave proof", possibly in both directions (i.e. both in terms of stray radiation and keeping RF from getting into the comp and messing up things; hams have the latter kind of problems occasionally).

Jul 25, 2005 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks a lot for the replies, ill definetely read up some more on the subject and try out the ferrite.

Later,

Jeroen

BTW, M-audio Lx4 2.1 should be shielded, but i guess that doesnt mean 'no interferance'

Jul 25, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeroendeV
BTW, M-audio Lx4 2.1 should be shielded, but i guess that doesnt mean 'no interferance'

The shielding usually refers to *magnetic* shielding of the speakers, to keep the driver magnets from interfering with CRT monitors. (Y'know, F_L = (-e)*(v x B) in case of flying electrons in a B field.)

Jul 25, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 8
There's really probably nothing you'll be able to do about it, aside from moving the phone farther away from the speakers.

I used to be able to use that sound to pick up my phone before the person calling heard it start ringing.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back