Annoying "creeking" from head phones when using glasses
Oct 2, 2005 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

jonta_dj

100+ Head-Fier
I use senn hd650 and I wear glasses. It's not a good combination but it's a must... Where the frames of my glasses touch the head phone pads they make terrible noise whenever I move my head a little bit.

Does anyone have a solution?

Oct 2, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 31
Maybe less clamp force from the cans?
I wear glasses all the time with my K240s, and dont notice it. But the K240s clamp force is supposedly much less than the senn HD cans.

Garrett

Oct 2, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 31
Lucky me, I haven't had that problem with any of the glasses that I've had or any of the headphones that I've had. And I've been using both since I was a wee lad.
icon10.gif

Oct 2, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 31
my headphones creak either way. i dont wear glasses though. would lubing it hurt it in any way?

Oct 2, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #9 of 31
My glasses also make my HD540's creek. assuming that your glasses are made of plastic like mine are. I used a very very fine grit sand paper on the arms of my glasses so they were not as smooth on the sides that contact the ear pads. This takes the gloss off of them and stops them from squeeking. Its a big step to take but nobody has noticed that the arms of my glasses are matte and not glossy.

Oct 3, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 31
you may alos like the results of a SMALLL amount of powdered graphite on the hinges of the cans. maybe also on the hinges of your glasses (perhaps an actual oil.) my glasses click when i wear em with headphones...

its a dry lube so it wont "migrate" but be sure to only use a tinnny bit, it goes everywhere if you are not carefull.

Oct 3, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #12 of 31
it's the glasses, not the senn's creak. I wear glasses as well, and I also noticed the creak when I move my jaws. Doesn't bother me that much, my cd480 creaks even more, with or without glasses.
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice
I always thought the creaking came from the frames rubbing up against the earpads...perhaps?

yup, that's true
smily_headphones1.gif
I wonder if there are any glasses that looks like Morpheus' sunglasses where you could just clip it on your nose, that would solve the problem
biggrin.gif
(except for contacts)

Oct 3, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonta_dj
I use senn hd650 and I wear glasses. It's not a good combination but it's a must... Where the frames of my glasses touch the head phone pads they make terrible noise whenever I move my head a little bit.

Does anyone have a solution?

This happens with my HD580s, and I haven't yet come up with a solution. It's the pads rubbing against the earpieces on the glasses. You can try putting some smooth tape on your glasses (or on the earpads where they contact them) but it's only a temporary fix and may not even work.

The only "solution" appears to be to learn to ignore it, and move your head around as little as possible. Oh yeah, or just take your glasses off when listening to music. I almost ditched these cans completely because of this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back