Annoying Buzzing Sound with Headphones
Dec 24, 2006 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Borky

Head-Fier
I'm getting a weird buzzing sound in my headphones as of late. I use my computer (AV710) to a PAV2 and then either A900s or Senns 280 pros and it happens in both of the cans. It is a buzzing sound like a morse code or feedback might sound, sort of like "bzzzzzzz bzzzzzbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz bzzzzzzzz". Does anyone know where this might be coming from and how I can get rid of it? It is very annoying. I don't think it's the headphones, so that leaves either the amp or the computer sound card.

Dec 24, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #2 of 14
It's a ghost.

LOL. Try narrowing it down to your amp (with another source) and if it's not the amp, try the source (soundcard and software).

Dec 24, 2006 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 14
Is it a high frequency "beep" or "deet deeet" sound in morse-code like pulses, or just a low frequency continuous buzz such as a ground hum problem?

If it's the higher frequency type, you might try picking your GSM cellphone off your amplifier, or turning it off completely.

Dec 24, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 14
Buzz or hums are generally considered to be either ground problems OR the dreaded problem...

First of all test out your headphones in different places not just where you use them. If you cant hear it anywhere else then it may be a ground loop problem.

Also try this.,., if you are using a flatscreen monitor listen carefully to the buz you get from the headphones and manually adjust the brightness of the screen, if you can hear the sound slightly changing it means you have the dreaded problem! The sound will technically move down the harmonic series and noone not even scientists knows why this is and there is nothing that can be done about it unfortunatly apart from trying a different monitor

cheers

Dec 25, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #6 of 14
I'm going to try plugging the headphones directly into the soundcard. If I don't hear anything, does that mean it has to be the amp? Also, what's a ground loop problem?

Dec 25, 2006 at 11:10 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to try plugging the headphones directly into the soundcard. If I don't hear anything, does that mean it has to be the amp? Also, what's a ground loop problem?

If your headphones have no physical connection to your amp and you plug them into your soundcard then yeah it will mean its the amp if you cannot hear it anymore.

Ground loop problems occur when a conection to ground is made through an intefering conductor. ie if your equipment is all grounded but through different paths.This will mean that you get (depending on where you live) a 50/60hz hum!If you live in the usa it will be a 60hz hum and 50hz for the uk.Theres no perfect grounding for anything but if its interfering with and being a pain then get it sorted.

Also check other things like what i suggested earlier with the monitor, you will notice the hum will sound different if this is the case, probably a sawtooth waveform sound.If you experience a change in pitch while adjusting monitor brightness then its an absolute pain to fix. The only thing to do if this is the problem is turn your monitor to 100% brightness which will make the hum the quietest it is going to get or try a different monitor.

Use process of elimination.. try turning applications off while listening to nothing on your headphones etc

cheers

Jan 5, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 14
I don't seem to hear anything when the headphones are plugged directly into the sound card. It's just when the amp is on. The monitor doesn't seem to change anything. I can hear it just as well on very low and very high brightness. So I guess it's a ground loop problem? How do I fix that?

Jan 5, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #9 of 14
try getting a standalone source like the family room dvd player and hook it into your amp. if there's no problem, then it's probably the computer. with my crap Dell, when it's overtaxed, itunes slows up on me and i hear a bleepbloop as it gets back up to speed.

Jan 5, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #11 of 14
seems like the problem might be the amp. like suggested b4, hook up the amp to another soucr other than your computer and test it out. if there is still noise, it is your amp.

Jan 6, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #12 of 14
But would plugging it into my DVD player isolate the problem? I wouldn't have the same circuit and electronic equipment about as I do here in the computer room. Should I also bring my cell phone near it to see if anything happens?

The strange thing about this problem is that it is random. Sometimes it won't happen for 30minutes at length, sometimes every 30 seconds for a few minutes then stop for a while. Sometimes it may be louder or softer. It is very random it seems, but it's driving me nuts.

Jan 8, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 14
is someone using a vacuum cleaner, popcorn popper, etc? do you live in an apt bldg (other units may be using things which are creating the sound)? what kind of lighting is right nearby? could be a number of things...

mjb

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #14 of 14
I live in a house. Everything is fairly normal. I have a ceiling light (not flourescent) and thats it. There is a cordless phone in the phone, but thats all I can think of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back