Announcing the all-new X3 firmware 3.0
Jun 3, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #17 of 57
Thanks for new firmware Fiio. I was really looking forward to it. Here are my quick impressions:

- skipping songs is now much more quicker (and so far without freezes)
- i like new look, black theme is my favourite
- i like new GUI except two things:
1.main menu - i would rather scroll only up and down than this 3x2 menu, where one button scrolls both vertical and horizontal
2.volume changing display - it has slow response and its only thing i dont like visually on new x3 (but thats really a minor thing)
- album pictures are zoomed (left and right sides are cutted off) - guess its cause of new GUI. Doesnt bother me at all.
- my ears tells me, that it sounds better now. Placebo effect? Or was something done to the sound?
- absence of id3tag lyrics support, which i was hoping for, is a bit disapointment for me

Sound is better to my ears too. More detail, better treble.

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #18 of 57
Just downloaded it and I think the sound is more airy,slightly brighter which gives it more detail and most of all a wider soundstage.
Don't know yet whether I like it or not!

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #20 of 57
All that waiting for new FW. Hoping for some improvements.
There are none.
I did not expect miracle.
Not even visual upgrade, but more detailed user interference firmware 2.1 alike.
Not even 120 sound volume levels, but enable some kind of playlist.
Not even display of number of songs, but album cover support.

But hey, you give us nothing. Thanks anyway.

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #21 of 57
All that waiting for new FW. Hoping for some improvements.
There are none.
I did not expect miracle.
Not even visual upgrade, but more detailed user interference firmware 2.1 alike.
Not even 120 sound volume levels, but enable some kind of playlist.
Not even display of number of songs, but album cover support.

But hey, you give us nothing. Thanks anyway.

please wait the next version. we will tell everyone when we stop the upgrading for X3 and X5.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 5, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #22 of 57
I'm listening Flacs with Senn-Momentum. The bass has gone perfect from good after the update. It's just like a Cowon s9 now. Treble is obviously better though. I am going back to 2.1. 

Both versions have the problem of not updating the media library. I am loosing hope for a solution to this bug
confused_face.gif

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #23 of 57
I'm listening Flacs with Senn-Momentum. The bass has gone perfect from good after the update. It's just like a Cowon s9 now. Treble is obviously better though. I am going back to 2.1. 

Both versions have the problem of not updating the media library. I am loosing hope for a solution to this bug :confused_face:  
FW 2.1 is the best...dac function and best sound...

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #24 of 57
  ... but why you removed the option "Play Display" which was in FW 2.1 available? I've tested before the beta FW 2.14 and since this version I missed this option.

Play Display
There are three options: Cover, Lyrics and ID3 (The priority of the three ranks in this sequence);press vol+ or vol- to switch.

I prefer no covers at all all and now I can't change this view anymore, that's sad, any way to change this viewing style? Thanks.

The corresponding entry in bugzilla is bug #52, you could vote for it to underline your wish
smily_headphones1.gif

suggested remaining "minor" enhancement:
improve data display during playback. the screen is really large enough to "constantly" display full track information (artist, album, track).
currently artist and track pops up for seconds.

Until now there's no bug filed concerning this specific issue (there's only one regarding the readability of the track information). Maybe you feel like submitting a new bug report for this
smily_headphones1.gif

- volume changing display - it has slow response and its only thing i dont like visually on new x3 (but thats really a minor thing)
- album pictures are zoomed (left and right sides are cutted off) - guess its cause of new GUI. Doesnt bother me at all.
- absence of id3tag lyrics support, which i was hoping for, is a bit disapointment for me

Bug #120 is about the new volume overlay. Bug #119 concerns the cropped album art. And for internal (ID3 tag) lyrics support you would have to submit a new bug report
wink.gif

Thanks DeLaw,

You put me on the right path!

The difference with the tracks that caused the player to freeze vs. the others was that the artwork of those was directly in the meta of each individual track instead of being in a separate file. I removed the artwork for the sake of testing and gone is the problem.

I'll restore the original tracks meta upon resolution of the problem (next firmware update, hopefully).

Was the cover art in PNG format (of rather big size)? I filed bug #174 concerning this, but in my case it didn't matter whether the cover art was in- or external...

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #27 of 57
3.0 firmware is a huge improvement in sound quality.
It sounds noticeably clearer through my LCD2's and VERY noticeable through the Rockford Fosgate system in my car, the sound stage seems wider too.
The high gain in firmware 2.1 used to sound terrible in my car, now it sounds clearer and punchier.
I always have the volume on the X3 set to either 60 with FW 2.1 or 100 with FW 3.0.
Almost all the tracks on my X3 are flac which could have something to do with it.
The volume over 100 sounds distorted, especially at 120.
I don't really like the interface... For someone that only uses the device to browse files, it feels like the other parts of the menu just get in the way.
In the browse files section, should I really have to select between internal and TF card? There should be an option to turn off internal storage because it just adds another step that gets in the way of selecting the music on the TF card.

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #30 of 57
The interface is a big improvement, but sonically, music seems to have lost its weight. I don't mean some flabby bassy Beats thing ... I mean bass has gone from realistic and tight to boomy even using my e12.

I've listened on three of my headphones, Shure se535s, Sennheiser Momentums and HD580s, and the impression seems consistent.

Now you're going to tell me the audio stage hasn't been changed ... but something's going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back