ANNOUNCEMENT: DC Area Head-Fi Meet - March 12, 2017 - Gaithersburg, Maryland
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2017 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 134

PJABBER

100+ Head-Fier
This meet has now been held. In accordance with Head-Fi forum protocol, please check out the Impressions thread for comments, reviews and suggestions in a follow-up to the meet -

http://www.head-fi.org/t/839892/dc-area-head-fi-meet-march-12-2017-gaithersburg-maryland

__________________________________________________________________________________

Head-Fi DC/MD/VA Audiophile Meet - March 12, 2017 - Gaithersburg, Maryland!
Come join Washington DC / Maryland / Virginia members of HeadFi.org and the DMV audiophile community for lectures on sound science and audition of member/vendor provided audiophile/hi-fi equipment, including analog/digital music players, amplifiers and headphones!

Free event, open to all audiophiles - bring your own headphones, DAPs and amps to experience and share true high fidelity sound!

So that we have a better idea of how many will be coming and what equipment you are thinking of bringing, please post your comments in this thread. Let us know whether you are coming to the Happy Hour and Dinner afterward and then please RSVP here -

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/head-fi-dcmdva-audiophile-meet-free-tickets-7882319229

Head-Fi DC/MD/VA Audiophile Meet

Date: Sunday, March 12, 2017 - 1:00 - 4:00 p.m., optional Happy Hour and Dinner follows

Cost: Free and open to the audiophile public, but please RSVP so that we know you are coming!

Location: Kentlands Carriage House, 321 Kent Square Road, Gaithersburg, Maryland 20878

The Kentlands Carriage House is wheelchair accessible and has a single private restroom that is also wheelchair accessible. The building is smoke-free, please dispose of any trash you might have in the provided bins. While we will have a number of chairs available for attendees, this is a standing event where you will want to move around the meeting room to experience all of the equipment on display.

Directions: https://wego.here.com/directions/mix//The-Carriage-House,-321-Kent-Square-Rd,-Gaithersburg,-MD-20878-5727

Parking: Plenty of free street parking is available in the immediate area, please don't park in any spot that has Reserved signage - those spots are for residents only and you might be ticketed/towed if you park there.

Internet Access: Free wireless Internet access is available. Speed should be sufficient for everyone's moderate/email use but not for multiple concurrent streaming applications.

Electricity: Eight (8) double outlets are available in the meeting room itself. If you are bringing A/C powered devices, please bring your own power strips.

Table and Chairs: The room is stocked with two heavy duty 8-foot folding tables, one heavy-duty 6-foot folding table, six folding card tables, a writing board, about 20 folding chairs. If you have heavier or bulkier equipment we can have you use the large folding tables. Portable gear can easily be supported on the card tables.

After Event Happy Hour and Dinner (at your own cost): 4:30 - 7:00 p.m.

Location: Dogfish Head Alehouse, 800 West Diamond Ave, Gaithersburg, MD 20878

Directions: https://wego.here.com/directions/mix///800-W-Diamond-Ave,-Gaithersburg,-MD-20878

Event Schedule:

12:30 - 1:00 p.m. - Equipment setup. Bring your favorite audio devices to display and to offer attendees a chance to try out with their own headphones! We will have multiple tables and folding chairs to make this a comfortable event. There are eight double A/C power outlets available in the room, bring power strips if you plan to use more than one outlet.

1:00 - 1:30 p.m - Opening remarks and self-introduction of attendees, you are encouraged to describe the equipment you brought to the meet!

1:30 - 2:00 p.m. - Quick lecture(s) on audio science, vendor product introductions, Q&A

2:00 - 4:00 p.m. - Open listening sessions, feel free to walk around, chat, test out the available equipment.

4:00 p.m. - Closing remarks, quick discussion of options for a next Meet.

4:00 - 4:30 p.m. - Pack up your equipment and drive to Dogfish Head Alehouse for Happy Hour and Dinner!

4:30 - 7:00 p.m. - Happy Hour and Dinner (at your own cost) at Dogfish Head Alehouse - join your new and old friends to share a drink and tell some tall tales!

AGPtek are providing us with some of their products to try out at the Meet. They very generously said that I do not need to return the items they are sending, so after the Meet I will distribute to whomever would like to test further and then comment and review on Head-Fi. Please send me a private message indicating which item you would like to take home with you and I will do my best to allocate fairly, probably just first come, first served. I won't mail/ship any of these, you have to be at the Meet to get something. No warranties are specified or implied for these test/review goods.

AGPtek gear that I am expecting, all items are currently available on and being shipped from Amazon so you can check there for more detailed descriptions:

2 AGPtEK ROCKER Bluetooth 4.0 MP3 Player, High Resolution Lossless - SKU:MC15B-FBA  (I may hold onto one these for comparison with a Shezhen Benjie BJ-T6, see review page here - http://www.head-fi.org/t/834797/the-shenzhen-benjie-bj-t6-agptek-rocker) (laevi, PJABBER)
1 AGPtEK IMP HiFi-class 16GB Touch Button Control MP3 Player - SKU:IMP3GR-FBA (Billheiser)
1 AGPtEK M07 8GB MP3 Music Player With Speaker/FM Radio/Metal Body DAP - SKU:MM07B-FBA
1 AGPtEK [2017 UPGRADE] A20 8GB & 80 Hours Playback MP3 Player - SKU:SMPA20GU-FBA 
1 AGPtEK [2017 UPGRADE] A20 8GB & 80 Hours Playback MP3 Player - SKU:SMPA20B-FBA 
2 AGPtEK Ultra Soft Comfortable Wired Sleep Headphones Eye Mask - SKU:ZP01S-FBA (genebirk, )
2 AGPtEK HMB Bluetooth 4.1 Earphones, IPX4 Sweatproof, Noise-isolating - SKU:HMB-FBA
2 AGPtEK K3 In-Ear Earbud Headphones, Dynamic Crystal Clear Bass - SKU:EPK3B-FBA (gandhisfist, )

Don't forget to RSVP at Eventbrite so that we know you are coming!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/head-fi-dcmdva-audiophile-meet-free-tickets-7882319229

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #3 of 134
I will definitely be attending! Simple setup - Ayre Codex with Focal Utopia and Sennheiser HD800S headphones.

My TOTL system is not changing. But it somewhat parallels what I've read @TimeLord will already be bringing to corrupt @skhan007. It certainly worked to corrupt me!

Feb 14, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 134
Corruption has never sounded so exciting!

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #6 of 134
I will be attending with my main system and likely 6 headphones:

Audio-GD NFB-27H
AKG K1000
Audeze LCD-2F
Hifiman HE-6
Sennheiser HD800
Sennheiser HD580
ZMF Eikon

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #7 of 134

Audio-GD NFB-27H
AKG K1000
Audeze LCD-2F
Hifiman HE-6
Sennheiser HD800
Sennheiser HD580
ZMF Eikon

I thought this was a headphone meet, not a speaker meet
rolleyes.gif

Very interested to hear these, and perhaps the whole room will participate 
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #10 of 134

AKG K1000

Bass heavy or bass light?

I heard the K1000's a long time ago - in 2002, I believe - hooked up to the speaker outs of a vintage Fisher stereo receiver. It was pretty freakin' amazing. That might've been the first Head-Fi meet I ever went to.

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #12 of 134

Not sure, might be bass heavy?  Serial is #11542

Edit:  Further reading suggests bass light?  I'm not really sure, guess I'll just have to listen to them and find out 

If you go by the accepted canon, should be a bass light version. But who knows?

For those who don't know - the picture shows the typical K1000 male during mating season, when angling the drivers is considered a show of dominance and used to attract a suitable female of the species...

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #13 of 134
If you go by the accepted canon, should be a bass light version. But who knows?

For those who don't know - the picture shows the typical K1000 male during mating season, when angling the drivers is considered a show of dominance and used to attract a suitable female of the species...

I'm going out on a limb and hypothesizing the K1000 male is asexual due to the lack of emperical evidence of a K1000 female. :D

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #15 of 134
Definitely coming!

I can bring my Schiit Asgard 2 / Bifrost combo (if I still have them until then), but I have no idea what to use a player / source. Currently use Roon in my house (Sonicorbiter endpoint, NAS for storage, and Tidal Hi-Fi). Thoughts?

Anybody would be interested in hearing TEAC UD-503? I don't see it mentioned much around here, and does not seem to be very popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back