Anime Music Listeners What is YOUR Rig
Jul 4, 2008 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

TDRKZ

100+ Head-Fier
Anime + audiophile just seems plain weird imo but I happen to enjoy my fair share of anime (insane understatement). I'm curious as to what you all use to play your jpop-rock and other various anime osts with. There's a tough time really pinning down anime music since they bring in so many different types of music into the picture but it can basically be broken down like this.

BG Music - Generally orchestral or jazz
OP/ED - Lots of love to the female vocalists. Lots of pop and some rock and ballad. Occasional male vocalist.
Fusion Music - This is where you get crazy stuff going on. Opera with rap and piano (If you know exactly what song I'm referring to you get a cookie).

What type of phones matches best with this warbled list? I tried sr80s recently and felt that it didn't give the female vocalists enough love. My er6i's on the other hand work quite well with most but could use some oomph on faster things.

Since the gist of Anime music is its amazing sounding female vocalists I guess that would be the first order of priority.

Anyway, How do you roll with when watching your anime/listening to your OSTs and OP/ED.

Jul 4, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #3 of 30
I see that after your 60s you went straight ot senns with some other stuff mixed in between. Would you say you how your anime music sounds out of your senns best?

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #4 of 30
Actually the SR-60 is a recent addition for my re-cabling experiment. I had a brief flirt with the SR-80 and later on the MS-2; decided the Grado sound is not for me. To give a more accurate answer to your question, based on my (almost primarily) listening of these genres, I like the AKG K240 Sextett EP, AKG K340 and Sennheiser HD-650 a lot. The Beyerdynamic DT-880 sounds great too, though my personal preference seems to fall more on the other three.

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 30
I love listening to anime OSTs through my HD25-1s. I don't know why. They sound better than my Sleek Audio SA6s. I listen to OSTs everywhere but my favorite ones have to be Grenadier, Shuffle!, D.C II, and Air OST. Just too many to list!

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 30
I generally prefer the AKG K240 Sextett for vocal stuff like OP/ED and insert songs, but sometimes for classical BGM tracks I'll use the AKG K400 or AKG K1000 instead.

Jul 4, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually the SR-60 is a recent addition for my re-cabling experiment. I had a brief flirt with the SR-80 and later on the MS-2; decided the Grado sound is not for me. To give a more accurate answer to your question, based on my (almost primarily) listening of these genres, I like the AKG K240 Sextett EP, AKG K340 and Sennheiser HD-650 a lot. The Beyerdynamic DT-880 sounds great too, though my personal preference seems to fall more on the other three.

I see that your experience is just like mine. I went to try both the sr60 and 80 but their shine up top masked all the vocals making anime music pointless? IMO Vocals are what should shine. I'm looking into the senn 555 as entry level instead. It should have a better sound signature for this style correct? Unfortunately I am not going to be able to find any around here to try out so I'm trying to base everything off what you guys think ^__^.

As far as OSTs. The new Macross OST Nyan Furo is one of THE best OSTs ever. Kanno Yoko is really outdid herself here. It is the best selling OST since Evangelion. Can't get enough of the 3 song concert from Sheryl the best being this of course. Sheryl Nome - Don't be late (Full) Music Video – Music at Last.fm

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDRKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fusion Music - This is where you get crazy stuff going on. Opera with rap and piano (If you know exactly what song I'm referring to you get a cookie).

"Libera me" from hell from the Gurren Lagann OST. No cookie required.

A pair of open Audio-Technicas (AD700 or AD900 depending on your budget) might suit your needs, since the sound is fairly clean and mids quite forward - some would say they are well-tuned for female vocals.

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 30
ptl beat me to it. I love the Gurren Lagann OST and I obviously love Gurren Lagann. I could use a cookie.

I watch anime on my speakers so I can't really help.

Jul 4, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ptl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Libera me" from hell from the Gurren Lagann OST. No cookie required.

A pair of open Audio-Technicas (AD700 or AD900 depending on your budget) might suit your needs, since the sound is fairly clean and mids quite forward - some would say they are well-tuned for female vocals.

Don't know much about Audio-Technicas so I haven't really given them much thought. I tend to listen to a lot of jazz/classical as well so I thought the Senns would work well with their large sound stage.

Jul 5, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 30
hmm interesting. I haven't looked into AKG's much. What is their entry level headphone aka sr60-80 or sen555 equivalent?

*edit* Just went to their website and i'm confused as hell... So many discontinued and so many other models that I have no idea what is going on.

Jul 5, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Don't know much about Audio-Technicas so I haven't really given them much thought. I tend to listen to a lot of jazz/classical as well so I thought the Senns would work well with their large sound stage.

I use ATH-AD700s and they work very well for watching anime--or really any kind of movie or video.

I don't really listen to much anime music any more, though I used to do so quite frequently. My musical tastes have changed, but I still watch a fair amount of shows on occasion--the current favorite happens to be The Daughter of Twenty Faces, which is probably the best thing out this year (it's a weak year compared to '06).

Edit: The "entry-level" AKGs are likely the K240 Studio.

Jul 5, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

hmm interesting. I haven't looked into AKG's much. What is their entry level headphone aka sr60-80 or sen555 equivalent?

*edit* Just went to their website and i'm confused as hell... So many discontinued and so many other models that I have no idea what is going on.

I will leave it to Mr. AKG to answer that.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back