Anime fans, if there are any here.
Jun 10, 2003 at 7:27 PM Post #16 of 40
I dont follow anime much, but I have to say that Cowboy Bebop is one of the most masterful cartoons ever created, and one of the most entertaining televsion programs, period.

I love that show, but am waaay to cheap to buy the $200 dvd set. Anyone notice that anime dvd's are so freakin expensive?

-Dan

Jun 15, 2003 at 2:04 PM Post #17 of 40
One of my favorite Miyazaki films is My Neighbor Totoro (Tonari no Totoro). What is your favorite? I can't wait for The Cat Returns. If the cat is anything like the one in Whisper of the Heart I'll love it.

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/

totoro.jpg

http://home.attmil.ne.jp/a/fractus2/totoro.jpg

Jun 16, 2003 at 7:00 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by RoninDiesel
are there any other anime movies like spirited away that anyone recommends?

try the Miyazaki films! they are all very good!

recommendation in no particular order:
-princess mononoke
-my nieghbour totoro
-kiki's delivery service
-castle in the sky

arghhh nvm just watch them all
tongue.gif

Jun 16, 2003 at 7:16 AM Post #20 of 40
I just found a new series i like, hikaru no go
biggrin.gif
. Naruto is also cool.

Jun 16, 2003 at 8:11 PM Post #21 of 40
My favourites are:

- Spirited Away
- Princess Mononoke
- Castle in the Sky

...but then again, the only other one I've seen is Kiki's Delivery Service (which is also very good, and includes a performance from Phil Hartman, but is just not up to the "grand" standards set by the other three).

Jun 16, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Kiki's Delivery Service (which is also very good, and includes a performance from Phil Hartman, but is just not up to the "grand" standards set by the other three).

Sure, if you watch the dub.
tongue.gif

Jun 16, 2003 at 10:23 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
Sure, if you watch the dub.
tongue.gif

Oops, yes, I stand corrected, but I think Phil Hartman is worth watching the dub for.

Jun 17, 2003 at 2:36 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Oops, yes, I stand corrected, but I think Phil Hartman is worth watching the dub for.

no dub is better than the original or worth watching.

oh, here comes that direct-path thread again.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 17, 2003 at 3:45 AM Post #25 of 40
Pfft, not all subs are that good. For instance, the last hot Subway sandwich I tried literally made me sick. "bada-bing"

Seriously, I always watch early portions via both sub and dub, to see which one I prefer. Some series, usually comedies, I tend to prefer the dub, like Slayers or Tenchi. Other series I prefer the sub, like Dragonball. And still other series, you must watch the sub or miss out on part of the story or gag, like Elf Princess Rane.

Jun 17, 2003 at 4:10 AM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Pfft, not all subs are that good. For instance, the last hot Subway sandwich I tried literally made me sick. "bada-bing"

lol
biggrin.gif

My reason for getting the Kiki dub was to hear Kirsten, and I was not disappointed. I still like the original w/Japanese subtitles. Watching dubs have one advantage in that you don't have to take your eyes off of the animation to read, and with Miyazaki there is much detail to see throughout the frames.

Jun 17, 2003 at 4:44 AM Post #27 of 40
Might I recommend, especially to those who like to get the sound tracks afterwards, a series called Initial D. It's a street car racing anime series, and I can tell you that it's better than "The Fast and the Furious". I haven't seen "2 Fast 2 Furious" yet, but I'd bet $1000 that Initial D will still be better.

How good is Initial D? Well, let's just say that it's so good that I liked it even though I don't like cars. Strange, eh? I also showed it to some other friends who don't like cars, and they were instantly addicted to the series too.

The cool thing is that the music suits the series really well. It's Eurobeat. For those who don't know what that is, it's roughly similar to Dance or Techno that we hear these days.

Warning: Art quality isn't that good, but you wouldn't be watching it for that anyway since you'll be concentrating on the drivers' mad skillz as well as the intense car racing. The CG of the cars is OK, considering that this is an older series, but by the time you reach the 2nd and 3rd stage (movie), it gets a lot better.

Speaking of CG, you know what has really good CG? Macross Zero! Right now, CG technology has advanced enough to properly render Mechas in 3D!

Jun 17, 2003 at 5:52 AM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Actually Miyazaki himself prefers the French dub of Porco Rosso (Kurenai no Butta) to the original Japanese version. I haven't seen that one yet, so i don't know, but i think i'd take the directors word
biggrin.gif

That said, i just recently watched Kiki's Delivery Service and i didn't like the American dub much at all. It was cool to hear Phil Hartman again, but the American script was noticeably different in character than the original. I like the less "in your face" nature of the original and it was refreshing to not have a character who was constantly spouting wise-ass remarks. Just my two cents though

Jun 17, 2003 at 7:01 AM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Watching dubs have one advantage in that you don't have to take your eyes off of the animation to read, and with Miyazaki there is much detail to see throughout the frames.

I agree. I hate having to take my eyes off the centre of the screen to read subtitles. I feel like I'm missing some of the film's visual content.

I just watched Kiki's Delivery Service last night. Yes, I think it's a lovely film. I enjoyed it, even though I think it's much more of a children's movie than "Spirited Away" and certainly "Princess Mononoke"! I think what Dusty Chalk means by saying Kiki's Delivery Service is not as "grand" as Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke is that Kiki's Delivery Service doesn't have the same epic feel and scope as those other films. I agree and think Kiki is a smaller, simpler film aimed at children from 5-10 years old. I know if I was a ten year old boy I would have fallen in love with Kiki! But as an adult I was still charmed by it. It's a very cute film and I can't wait until my son is old enough to watch it.

I thought Kirsten Dunst was excellent. Her voice seemed just right to me. I was impressed by her acting. Really captured a sense of innocence, goodness and intelligence. I didn't even know it was Kirstin Dunst until I watched the special features. She must have been young when she dubbed the film. She certainly gives a masterly performance compared to Clare Dane's screeching in "Princess Mononoke".
rolleyes.gif

I can't wait to see the dubbed version of "Spirited Away" now. And, come on, ALL CARTOONS are dubbed, right? Even the original cartoon is "dubbed".

I think if you don't like the English language version you're responding negatively to the actor's performance or the translation. And that entails subtleties in inflection and text that will NEVER translate between cultures (Japanese acting has always seemed more rigid and stylized to me than the scratching-my-butt, American method acting school).

Personally, I've found the translations of all the Ghilbi (sp?) films I've seen to sound very natural, so I consider them good translations. Thus, all you can hope is that the English speaking actor will give just as good of a performance. Like I said, Kirstin Dunst was great and I thought Clare Danes obviously sucked - way over the top.

And of course, no matter how brillant the translation or new performances, if you saw the film and fell in love with it with one cast, you'll never be able to accept another version!

Jun 17, 2003 at 7:26 AM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster

Well, you're obviously being overtly strident, but I'll still voice my opinion: I disagree. Case in point: Spirited Away. The very last sentence isn't even in the sub (nothing is said), and I think that line makes the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back