Animals as Leaders
May 20, 2009 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
Anyone heard of these guys? I'm listening right now, they are awesome! Kind of experimental rock/metal- maybe progressive metal? Pretty hard to sum it up. I noticed the drums sound crystal clear. Guitars sound good, better than most recordings, but not quite on the well-mastered-big-name-instrumental-rock scale. They have some very cool, hard, funky, really range-spanning pieces. I suggest you check them out! Album art is very cool too.

EDIT: After a couple tracks, it's quite obvious that the drums are programmed. So the crystal-clear comment is not as applicable. Nothin wrong with that, though.

Animals_As_Leaders_-_Animals_As_Leaders_artwork.jpg

May 27, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 16
^Thanks man. I already have The Discovery from Cloudkicker, a very cool project. Are Reflux, Periphery, and Bulb all solo prog metal projects?

May 27, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 16
A friend of mine picked up this CD a couple of weeks ago and I had a chance to listen to it in his car. I'm familiar with Bulb and Periphery and this certainly has a similar style. The guitarist uses different techniques to good effect and displays some exceptional fretwork. If I see it in a store, I'll definitely grab it for a good listen.

May 28, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are Reflux, Periphery, and Bulb all solo prog metal projects?

Not really.

Reflux is a band. The guitar style is obviously reminiscent of Animals as Leaders, but the overall sound leans more towards metalcore with nifty breakdowns and whatnot.

Periphery, also a band, sounds a lot like TesseracT, if you've heard their demo. Sonically similar to Animals as Leaders, but more of a focus on heavy riffing and technicality rather than guitar histrionics.

Bulb is another one man project. Pretty much sounds straight up like Animals as Leaders. If you like one, you'll like the other.

Aug 24, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #12 of 16
Awesome band. My understanding is that Tosin Abasi is the main brain of the project. Very cool how he uses an eight string. I definitely appreciate it when artists explore the possibilities of an extended range. He has a lot of influences. Meshuggah being one of them. At times his material is a bit wanky but for the most part is is well written, well thought out, and has well commanded dynamics. The drummer that he tours with is awesome. It's the guy that plays for The Faceless (who I am not a fan of). 

Aug 24, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
2nd guitarist for AAL, Javier Reyes is amazing too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqv1WqRpqtI

Man, thanks for posting that! He is awesome and I am very curious as to what his full setup is. Especially, that guitar. It's beautiful. I am thinking passive pickups? I am really looking forward to the future of this group. Very talented. 

Aug 25, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #15 of 16
I think he uses passives and Tosin uses active EMGs in his Ibanez RGs but his other guitars have an assortment of different passives, like lundgren, q-tuners, etc. Both use the AxeFX as well. No matter what they use though, they always have great tone complementing their catchy melodies haha
Edit: in the video I linked, the neck pickup in Javier's guitar is a qtuner

Quote:
Man, thanks for posting that! He is awesome and I am very curious as to what his full setup is. Especially, that guitar. It's beautiful. I am thinking passive pickups? I am really looking forward to the future of this group. Very talented. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back