Ani Difranco Fans? And female folk music recommendations
Mar 31, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #17 of 31
What I found about modern female folk singer-songwriters is that their lyrics are often very personal and metaphoric (read: obscure); Hence I much prefer female singers of traditional material. This said, here are a bunch of commendable female folk singers who sings their own material:
  1. Dar Williams -- among the less obscure and more relevant of female folk singers. Her first album The Honesty Room is still much treasured, while later albums (such as The End of Summer) have a fuller band sound and are also good.
  2. Mary Chapin Carpenter -- if you like modern folk music with a country-western bent. The album Stone in the Road is a good starter.
  3. Dee Carstensen -- Wonderful vocalist here. Musically more synthetic than most folk singers.
  4. Janis Ian is still going strong after all these years.
  5. Linda Thompson's album Fashionably Late is unfathomably gloomy and dark. Not really recommended if you're already of a melancholic disposition, but this is a one-of-a-kind masterpiece.

Apr 1, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #19 of 31
Yes, Living in Clip is brilliant, as is the other double live album, So Much Shouting, So Much Laughter. My favourite Ani album is Evolve.

I have to say that some of the recommendations in this thread are awful, because while there are a lot of good artists mentioned, and OP might like them, I just don't see them as being anything like Ani. Kate Rusby is trad. folk, Regina Spektor is more like Tori Amos, Aimee Mann doesn't have the same attitude, Beth Orton is trip hop, Lucinda Williams (and some of the others) are really alt.country. I'm not knocking any of them, but they're just not like Ani.

If you want more stuff like Ani, you've just got to buy more Ani.

Apr 4, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #20 of 31
I just got in Laura Love - Fourteen Days. All I can say is that she defiantly hit the spot! She's the type of artist I was looking for. Laura Love is still along the same genre as Ani Difranco, but she's not a rip off of Ani Difranco. Laura Love is her own Artist. There's this odd jazzy Celtic feel to the album. Gives it a refreshing edge. I'll be purchasing another one of her albums in the near future.

Right now I'm listening to Regina Spektor's latest album (from her website) looks like I'll be buying that too!

Apr 6, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #22 of 31
How about Patty Larkin "Strangers World" and "Running Angels". Jonatha Brooke & The Story's "Plumb" and her solo "10 cent wings". On the softer side, Mary Black's "No Frontiers" and "Without the Fanfare" and Mindy Smith's "One Moment More" to name a few. Mary Black's "No Frontiers" is a must have for anyone that enjoys female vocals.

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #27 of 31
Wow....no love for Natalie Merchant or Kate Bush? Tiger Lilly and Never for Ever are great sounding albums. Also check out Diane Schurr if you want a jazz flavor...Amazing range

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #28 of 31
Let me second Kate Bush (The Whole Story is a good "greatest hits" comp). Also, Laura Veirs, one of my favorite finds of the last 3 years. Start with her album Year of Meteors.

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #29 of 31
Kate Bush is obviously brilliant, but are we just naming singers without Y chromosomes now? I can't see much connection with Ani other than that in both cases I love their music.

Laura Veirs isn't a bad comparison, though.
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #30 of 31
I just heard this woman, Mieka Pauley, on a rebroadcast of Mountain Stage last week. I don't have a full recording yet, but the three songs she played made me want to buy something and try her out.

Also, I'll add a second vote for Mary Gauthier. Saw her at Mountain Stage as well, opening for (among others) Suzanne Vega; bought her CD and have been enjoying it quite a bit lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back