Angstrom amp. (specs)
Aug 25, 2003 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Nik

Headphoneus Supremus
Guys I just received the fr. responce of my amp:

linear +/- 3 db 17->94000 hz!

The designer was very happy of this notice!!!

Best!
Nicola

Aug 25, 2003 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 37
94khz??!!!!!! What is the highest frequency you can hear, Nik?

Aug 25, 2003 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 37
eek.gif

Aug 25, 2003 at 6:53 AM Post #4 of 37
Basic physics tells us that sound waves interact with each other (constructive or destructive interference) - this makes me think that the sound from waves of frequencies out of hearing range could influence the waves we actually can hear.

-dd3mon

Aug 25, 2003 at 7:06 AM Post #5 of 37
Excuse me...but this frequency response isn't so stellar. I have not so much experience with tubed gear, like your Angstrom, but SS amps often have a much broader stated frequency response.

The T+A Elektroakustik preamp P 1220 R for example has a stated frequency response of 0,5 Hz - 400 KHz at +/-3 db

http://www.taelektroakustik.de/deu/t...m/p_1220_r.htm

Wich doesn't mean that your Angstrom amp isn't a fantastic product. It's just that this frequency response isn't so outstanding...

Lukas

Aug 25, 2003 at 7:12 AM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Der Wolf
The T+A Elektroakustik preamp P 1220 R for example has a stated frequency response of 0,5 Hz - 400 KHz at +/-3 db

What's the point of such a high frequency response if it's impossible to hear?

Aug 25, 2003 at 7:16 AM Post #7 of 37
did you read dd3mon's post? makes sense to me. waves we can't hear can still interfere with the one's we can.

Aug 25, 2003 at 7:29 AM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Der Wolf
Excuse me...but this frequency response isn't so stellar. I have not so much experience with tubed gear, like your Angstrom, but SS amps often have a much broader stated frequency response.

http://www.taelektroakustik.de/deu/t...m/p_1220_r.htm

Wich doesn't mean that your Angstrom amp isn't a fantastic product. It's just that this frequency response isn't so outstanding...

Lukas

Heh, try this one on for size. Goldmund Mimesis 29.4M power amp:

0 - 300 kHz +/- 0.1 dB
0 - 800 kHz +/- 1 dB
0 - 2.5 MHz +/- 3 dB

EDIT: But if we want to stay with pre-amps then try the Goldmund Mimesis 27+:

0 - 150 kHz +/- 0.1 dB
0 - 500 kHz +/- 1 dB
0 - 850 kHz +/- 3 dB

What does it all mean? Probably not much.

Aug 25, 2003 at 7:40 AM Post #9 of 37
F.R. of Angstrom?
It's no true.
It's only a word, no graphis,no test,no any documents, only simple words.
A friend on mine have a better tube Se amplifier with frequency response of 5-500.000 Hz at .1 db!

cheer
Audios

Aug 25, 2003 at 8:31 AM Post #10 of 37
Hi audios.

Don't you think it's a bit harsh to just state, that the given frequency response of the Angstrom is false. I mean, it's a quote from the manufacturer. As are all the other stated frequency responses in this thread.

That doesen't mean I'm believing everything I'm reading on websites... Otherwise I would have allready bought a glas full of marbles to place near my gear because it sounds better...
very_evil_smiley.gif

But still it's a bit strange to just claim that the frequency response is false. Do you know the manufacturer of the Angstrom? Have you measured the amp yourself? If you haven't, you just can't make a statement like this.

Lukas

Aug 25, 2003 at 9:09 AM Post #11 of 37
Hi lukas,
because I know and I have visit the cavern of this guy: he haven't any instruments for testing, measuring, only a multimeter and a portable pc with sound card!
How you can compare the MANUFACTURE with cavern manufacture?
So I belive this affermation of this measure if I see with my eyes a printed graphics diagram generated from electronics instrument.
OK after the photos I would like to see the scan of printed diagram, the error of my affermation is only 50%, if not see the diagram maybe my affermation go to 100% of true.
Audios

Aug 25, 2003 at 9:30 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by MusicLover
94khz??!!!!!! What is the highest frequency you can hear, Nik?

I do not know the highest or lowest fr. I can hear, bur every time I listen is a new adventure for me especially for the beautifulness of this magical sound. I think that I cannot hear more than fr, responce of the R10 that is 20 to 20000 hz! But we all to know that human ears do not arrive to these extreme points...

Best!
Nicola

Aug 25, 2003 at 9:59 AM Post #13 of 37
Traditionally, Spectral Audio is known for an amplifier design approach that emphasizes wide bandwidth and short rise time. For example, their DMC30 preamp has a -3dB bandwidth from DC to 15 MHz.

To my ears, Spectral amps sound clinical and uninviting. So, if the Angstrom ought to be magically musical - and I don't doubt that it is - it's not because of its specs. I believe that the human ear is the best meter there is and that specs tell us very little if anything about a component's ability to convey music. Any attempt to measure reality doesn't capture reality, it captures an awfully tiny fragment of it, it provides a frightfully limited model of reality. In the end, a spec is just a number that's written on paper, and it's best to ignore it.

Aug 25, 2003 at 11:26 AM Post #15 of 37
For what I understand of electronic I think that there is many way to have the specs of a gear... would be good a opinion of some technic or designers.

For ex. if you use +/- 3db or others +/- 1 db and than "linear" (i think this means costant responce...)... so I cannot to tell more than repeat the numbers I had by the designer, so this! real numbers!

About relation between numbers and sound , this is another thing!

The sound of the Angstrom respect to the Manley 300B or the EAR HP-4 is another planet, especially for the evident BIG dimension of the sound and space between each instruments or voices... and even for the quality of sound. This is the finest kind of sound I ever had!

My brother has the EAR HP-4 (that I bought by Jatinder) I'm waiting to have the unit and is my intention to do a very compltete rew head to head with the Ansgtrom, just for those who know the EAR have an idea of the new frontier of this monster!

Best!
Nicola

Users who are viewing this thread

Back