Angled Driver vs. Flat Driver
Dec 26, 2005 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

koop

Head-Fier
If your primary use was for gaming, what type of driver angle would be most benifitial. Ive read that angled drivers have better soundstaging which seems to be good for gaming, where positioning is important but ide like to hear some more opinions.

also how do angled drivers hold up against music (all types) vs flat drivers. if im spending alot on a pair of hphones they better play games and music very well.

Dec 26, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by koop
If your primary use was for gaming, what type of driver angle would be most benifitial. Ive read that angled drivers have better soundstaging which seems to be good for gaming, where positioning is important but ide like to hear some more opinions.

also how do angled drivers hold up against music (all types) vs flat drivers. if im spending alot on a pair of hphones they better play games and music very well.

As to the first question, angled drivers do have a more "natural" soundstage thanks to the fact that, well, they're angled like speakers would be.

As to music of angled vs. flats, well, that's more a question of quality in general. Good angled drivers will sound great, bad ones will sound awful, just like regular drivers.

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
As to the first question, angled drivers do have a more "natural" soundstage thanks to the fact that, well, they're angled like speakers would be.

Then the next question is "what are the best moderately priced angled driver headphones?"
smily_headphones1.gif

I've learned that the AT-500, Sony 5000, and HD555 are all angled.

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #5 of 9
indeed u are correct... the two headphones ive actually been looking at are the 555s and the a900s. both of wich have things i dislike. the a900s are too big, and the 555s are open (ide like closed).

any other closed headphones that use angled drivers?

Dec 26, 2005 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 9
It seems to vary by headphone. I'm not sure if "more natural" is how I'd describe it. For example, the CD3000 has the largest headstage (sound coming from outside your head) and widest soundstage (at least left to right) that I've heard. Yet, there is something distinctly unnatural about it. It seems exaggerated to me. Other headphones with angled drivers -- the 595 and SA5000 -- both have angled drivers, but have soundstages no better or worse than average.

Dec 26, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #7 of 9
Angled drivers... I don`t see how they could work, given that 3D sound information is actually given by the CHANGES that occur when the source of a sound moves around the listener`s head, bouncing off the pinnae differently at different angles. So, a stationary angled driver just sounds pretty much like a normal headphone.
That said, I have the HFI-650, which has angled drivers, and it`s really excellent for gaming. It has a slightly boosted lower treble, so all the details jump out at you. Also, it`s well represented in all the frequency ranges (although to me it can sometimes sound a little cold, as the midbass seems to be a little recessed). Also, if your ears stick out, they`ll hit against plastic and cloth, which tends to hurt after a while. But they`re really good headphones. I`m away from home for a few months, and I regret not bringing them with me
frown.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 9
Wouldn't a headphone with angled drivers be *extremely* position-sensitive on the head? That could annoy me no end...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back