Angled 3.5mm Jack plug - low-profile jack (as seen on Beats cable)
Jun 20, 2012 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DogandPonyShow

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I wonder if you can help here.

I'm looking to create my own, single-sided, headphone cable (aiming to use either Mogami 2534 or 2893).
What I'm looking for is a low-profile, angled 3.5mm jack as seen on the Beats Solo* cable, seen in the picture below - but I can't find anything like this on the market.

Examples like the Neutrik NTP3RC/NTP3RC-B look very good, but aren't particularly 'low-profile'.

The reason for this is when a standard headphone jack is in an iPod this can move around in my pocket, and over time this has been known to dislodge the headphone jack, so only one channel works... hence the search for a low-profile jack.

Thanks!

*I made a big mistake and bought these.  Terrible sound, too much bass at the expense of everything else... although they do have some good design features, especially in the cable.

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks Chipz.  That looks pretty good, but doesn't seem as 'low profile' as the one on the Beats cable - which fits flush with the bottom of the iPod.

I'm looking for a 3.5mill Jack plug which has the least potential of leverage.
Standard 3.5 jacks have nearly 45mm of casing/plastic which can knacker an iPod jack after 12 months walking around.  I might get brave enough to solder in a new jack socket, but I'm looking for a smaller profile plug to reduce the risk of leverage.

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Use the Neutrik but screw off the barrel and hot glue the two pieces & heatshrink. Here's a tiny 3.5mm-3.5mm silver interconnect I made but you get the idea....

what he said.
Or you can cut a small ring out of the barrel, no need for hot glue, in the past my hot glue seemed to melt some plastic component inside which led to intermittent connection later. That only happened to me once but I never used hot glue ever since.

Jun 25, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #6 of 8
Interesting, so you're taking about modding the jack?!  Does anyone have any close-up picture of this to get a better understanding of how try this?

I'm not sure why they're aren't commercially available (very) low-profile jacks like with the Beats cable.  Perhaps this is because their angled jack is proprietary, or machined to a standard that cannot be wired manually/by hand.

Jun 25, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #7 of 8
the one on top is the micro lod I made by cutting off the barrel, then put some heatshrink on to make it look better (if you still insist on using hot glue you can leave the heatshrink out)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back