Anger bitterness and frustration
Dec 21, 2004 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dffman2001

100+ Head-Fier
Heres the story. I bought a used camera off a guy. He said it was probably in good working order. He wasn't a camera guy, he just had it in his possession. I got to examine it before I bought it. It looked fine. I bought batteries for it. It worked fine. Shutter speeds seemed accurate, timer seemed fine, looked like I got a good deal. I knew when I bought it that the light sealing foam needed replacing. That wasn't a big problem since it is an easy and cheap fix.

I brought it into a camera store - I haven't had any transactions there before - to get the light foam replaced. So I left the camera and waited for it to get fixed. Today, I got a call from them and they said that the repairman found other problems with the camera. I was told that the repairman found that the mirror was not functioning properly and that the shutter button needed to be replaced. He said that the repairman had done repairs for him before and was a trustworthy guy. He told me that getting all these things repaired would cost me $150, which is almost as much as the camera is worth.

Now, I haven't yet seen the camera, but I know a working camera from a broken one. Quite obviously when I dropped off the camera, it was functioning. Now he says the mirror doesn't flip and some of the shutter speeds dont work. So far, I told him to get the camera back for me to inspect it and not to touch anything.

What am I to do? I think it is ridiculous that I dropped off a perfectly funtioning camera and now I recieve one thats broken. Perhaps I was wrong and didn't check everything. Maybe the problems are only obvious to the repairman. So far I am thinking that when I go back to check the camera, if it doesn't function the same way that I dropped it off as, I will not accept it. If it does, then I suppose I was wrong because I didn't realize these flaws earlier. However, right now, I don't know what to do if they did break the camera. I'm prepared to throw a fit, but I don't know what to do to get my camera fixed and me not having to pay for any damages caused.

I can't exactly prove that the camera was perfectly functioning before because I never opened it up to show him. Its my word against his. So, for those super aggressive people who know how to yell at bad people, give your suggestions to a softspoken Canadian so I know how to get stuff done here. What suggestions do you have that I can do?
confused.gif
confused.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 4
Take a baseball bat with you when you go there. Act all polite and all but keep the bat in full view or sticking out of your rucksack at all times
mad.gif

Would I do ^ ??

I dunno...depends on how I felt about it...maybe things were broken...you didnt open it up to see right?

Besides - you did not ask them to replace anything - just the foam. Tell them that it is not your problem and if they create a fuss - threaten to call the cops.

umm...

Take the baseball bat anyway and position yourself near the rack holding the expensive Digital SLR's
wink.gif
eggosmile.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 4
No, I did open it up to check. I took the lens off and the back open, I tripped the shutter and the mirror flipped and the shutter opened fine.

And if I was take the bat to their stuff, I would aim for the leicas. A higher value density, I think...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back