Ane Brun
Aug 4, 2006 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

stuckie27

100+ Head-Fier
Some of you might know, some might not, but I just had to share this wonderful artist with everybody here.

Ane Brun (pronounced Ah-na Broon) is a Norwegian singer/songwriter, who crafts the most amazingly beautiful songs. Its really somthing that you don't want to miss out on. Her album A Temporary Dive was released in 2004 in Norway and went platinum in 3 weeks, the album got an USA release in 2006 on V2 records.

I got a chance to see her in Minneapolis along side Matt Costa, she was amazing and after the show I was talking to here about a track off another album she did called Duets which featured the singer from the Tiny (Ellekari Larsson) and Ane went back stage and got a promo copy of The Tiny's newest album and gave it to me. Turns out they have a record label together called DetErMine Record, which is pretty cool.

So if you get a chance check here out, her website is at www.anebrun.com and she is on tour again, here are the dates. (its the end of the tour)

Fri08/04/06 San Francisco, CA The Fillmore
Tue08/08/06 Portland, ORMississippi Studios
Thu08/10/06 Seattle, WAThe Triple Door
Sat08/12/06 Philadelphia, PAWorld Cafe Live
Sun08/13/06 Baltimore, MDThe 8X10
Mon08/14/06 New York, NYJoe's Pub
And she is soon to tour along with the DMF String Quintet in Europe (mostly Norway)

=Paul

Aug 4, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 3
shame she isn't coming to Vancouver.

highly recommended! this is a real good album. i enjoied Song 6 (w/ Ron Sexsmith) the most. BTW, how is the Duets album? i have yet to listen to it.

Aug 5, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille
shame she isn't coming to Vancouver.

highly recommended! this is a real good album. i enjoied Song 6 (w/ Ron Sexsmith) the most. BTW, how is the Duets album? i have yet to listen to it.

Its awesome, Song 6 appears on Duets as well. I highly recomend checking it out.

From her website:
Ane Brun about her album Duets, released 21st of November 05 :

In my relatively short career as an artist I had until a year ago not been involved in many cooperation’s with other solo artists. Somehow I feel that we usually tend to go down our own solitary paths. It is of course a very egocentric path, and in my case it has been a conscious choice. Somehow it is for me the only way to full fill my abstract ”needs” to express myself artistically. At least that is how it has been until recently, but the last few months have made me think differently.

It somehow started some time ago when I did cooperation with the Swedish musician and songwriter Nina Ramsby. We did a short set together where we played each other’s songs and rehearsed new versions of them together. We performed them at the Ladyfest in Stockholm. In the time after that show I felt a rush of inspiration because of all the new energy this session created. But nevertheless I continued down my path. In the next few monts I had a few more similar encounters. Such as recording the Ron Sexsmith duet for my second album, and also the ”Stop” duet with Liv Widell (”My lover will go” EP).

After releasing ”A temporary dive” in February 2005 I travelled around Europe playing and doing promotion. I guess this period was kind of the peek of what I mentioned earlier when it comes to the egocentric life of a solo artist. Everything you do is related to yourself. In my case; I perform my songs, written from a subjective perspective and I do interviews about things related to these songs and to me as a person. This intense period almost made me alienated towards why I even started writing and playing music. I didn’t have the varicosity of my everyday life at home, so it felt like existing in a bubble. Of course, I realise that what I experienced was nothing new. People have told this story many times before.

However, I got a pleasant awakening sometime during these months. I was invited by the Norwegian Radio One to go on a short tour in Norway. The idea behind it was to let five Scandinavian artists meet and make a concert together. I had only met one of them before, and that was Teitur. I had no idea of how much this short tour would mean to me. Incredible musical meetings emerged from only one day of rehearsal. After four days on the road with these musicians, songwriters and wonderful people I went back to Sweden feeling inspired and happy.

Me and my colleagues at DetErMine recs. realised sometime during spring 2005 that I had already finished 6 duets in a few months! And because of my new-found eager to collaborate with others, I felt more than happy to fulfil our vision of making a complete album of duets.

The process has been very rewarding. I faced new challenges on every duet. Especially the ones where my duet-partner had written the song we had chosen. It happened a few times that a song didn’t really fit my vocal range. This forced me into searching for new ways of singing. I believe I will take advantage of this in my future song writing.
But first and foremost it has been a lot of fun doing this, and I had the opportunity to work with ten of my favourite artists, who each and everyone has their very own artistic expression. Some of them I knew already, and some became my friends during this time.

Well, enough said. Enjoy!
2. Ane Brun´s comments on each track :

Syd Matters feat Ane Brun Little lights
Through my collaboration with V2 Music I have been introduced to a handful of wonderful artists and songwriters. One of them is Jonathan Morali, alias Syd Matters. We decided to do one of his songs together before the idea of making “Duets” came across my mind. Jonathan send me a few mp3s, and I picked out the lovely Little lights . In May 2005 I played my first concert in Paris. On that occasion we met up in his studio and recorded this version of his song. We performed it live for the first time at Syd Matters show at the Cigalle in Paris, in October 2005.
Syd Matters is French. Released his second album on 3rd side records/V2, 2005 . www.sydmatters.com

Madrugada feat. Ane Brun Lift me
Sivert Höyem, the vocalist in Madrugada, has been one of my favourite Norwegian singers for years. I first met him and some of the band-members when I did a support gig for his solo-project in Stavanger, Norway. When the idea of the duet-album started to emerge I soon contacted Madrugada. I was very pleased to hear that they wanted to do it, and after some correspondence during the summer we finally managed meet up in Stockholm.
Madrugada is from Norway. They released their fifth studio album The deep end in 2005 . www.emi.no/madrugada

Ane Brun feat. Teitur Rubber & Soul
Teitur and I first met when we toured together in Holland, 2004. A year later we met again on a Norwegian tour, arranged by Norwegian Radio. The tour was set up as a cooperation between Scandinavian artists, and Teitur and I performed Rubber & Soul as a duet for the first time. It became magical with the help of Teitur’ s amazing voice and musicality. We also performed it on other occasions after that, and decided that we had to put it on tape for eternity. So in May 2005 we recorded it in Stockholm.
Teitur is from the Faroe Islands. He released his debut album Poetry and aeroplanes 2003 on Universal records USA. www.teitur.com

Lars Bygdén feat Ane Brun This Road
Lars was working on his first solo-album and one day I was asked if I wanted to come and record some vocals on one of the tracks. I got a CD-R from his producer, and our mutual friend, Linus Larsson. To be honest I didn’t listen to it more than once before going into the studio, This was in the middle of my very hectic spring tour and I took one day at a time. So at the recording session I came pretty unprepared. But sometimes that can also be fortunate. This country & western version of me was discovered that day.
Lars is Swedish. Released his first solo-album Trading happiness for songs , 2005 on Massproduktion Recordings. www.larsbygden.com

Ane Brun feat. Liv Widell Stop (written by Sam Brown)
I first met Liv when we both studied at the University of Uppsala, Sweden. It was back when I had just started writing my own songs and meeting Liv was very inspiring. Hearing her desperately beautiful, interesting and humoristic songs and voice really made an impact on me. One summer day Liv played Stop for me on my friend Emma´s porch. This song, originally performed by Sam Brown, is one of my favourites from my teenage years. And a couple of years later, when I wanted to do a duet with Liv, it was an obvious choice.
Liv is Swedish. Solo artist, and vocalist in the band Don´t be a stranger. www.widell.biz/liv/dbs/

Ellekari Larsson(The Tiny) feat. Ane Brun Across the bridge
Ellekari is the voice and songwriter of the Stockholm-based trio The Tiny. She is also co-founder of our record label DetErMine Records and my dear friend. Throughout the last couple of years I have heard Ellekari perform this beautiful tune many times, both live and on The Tiny’s album Close Enough . This was probably the song that was the most difficult for me to do. I was so used to hearing her incredible voice performing these words and this melody. I had to put down more time and effort than I did on any other track on Duets . But finally I figured out my own interpretation of it.
Ellekari is Swedish. The Tiny released their debut album Close Enough on DetErMine Records 2004.
www.thetiny.net

Magnus Tingsek feat. Ane Brun Easier
During 2005, I had the honour of presenting this creative and talented musician as my special-guest on several of my live-concerts. We first performed the song Easier together on Norwegian National Radio in August 2005. Magnus and I had talked for months about recording something together, and after the radio session we were certain that this was the right song.
Magnus is from Sweden. He released his debut album Tingsek in 2005 on V2 Records Scandinavia. www.tingsek.com

Tobias Fröberg feat. Ane Brun Love and Misery
I have known Tobias for a few years now. He performed his very own version of so you did it again on the night of my release-party in 2003 (Spending time with Morgan). Since then he has become a good friend and a great inspiration to me. Love and misery is one of many beautiful songs written by Tobias. We recorded my vocals at his apartment in Stockholm sometime during spring 2005. Tobias also appears on another track on this album, ooooh-ing in the background of my duet with Teitur
Tobias is Swedish, released his debut album For Elisabeth wherever she is on Silence Records in 2004. www.tobiasfroberg.com

Wendy McNeill feat Ane Brun Such a common bird
This charismatic singer, accordionist and guitarist from Canada first came into my life when she joined me as supporting act on my Temporary Dive Tour 2005. We travelled through Scandinavia and Europe together for months. It was a luxurious experience to enjoy her heart-warming company and her powerful performances night after night. As of her 4rth album The wonder show . (2006) she becomes the third member of the DetErMine Records artist community.
Wendy is Canadian. Released her 3rd album on Spirit River. www.wendymcneill.com

Ane Brun feat Ron Sexsmith Song no 6
When I was working on my second album A temporary dive I really wanted to include a duet. Highly ranked on my list of musicians that I wanted to work with was Ron Sexsmith. And as we both are closely connected to V2 Records I had the right channels to drop the question. And Ron said that he wanted to do it. I was thrilled. His warm and personal voice would be included on my record! Now the big challenge was to find a time that fit both of us. So it happened that we both played at Storsjöyran in Östersund, Sweden, in August 2004. The very next day we recorded my for once cheerful tune Song no 6 in Bonsai Studios, Stockholm.
Ron is Canadian. Released his sixth solo album in 2004 on V2 Records. www.ronsexsmith.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back