Android USB-C to Sony PHA-3 (Balanced)?
Apr 26, 2022 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tbonepdx

New Head-Fier
Hey, everyone. I have a Samsung S22 Ultra with a USB-C out. I would love to play some of the flac files from my phone using Poweramp music player, and be able to get a balanced output from my Sony PHA-3 headphone amp for my Sony MDR-Z7 balanced headphones. When I try to plug the phone's USB-C output into the amp's USB-A input, the phone thinks the amp is an external battery and the amp starts charging my phone.

I can use a USB-C to 1/8" stereo plug adapter and run it into the amp's 1/8" input, but this only works for normal headphone listening, not balanced.

Anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #2 of 7
You need a Type C cable that supports OTG. Most Type C to USB A cable is meant for data and charging without OTG support. Alternatively you can get a Type C to Micro USB cable that has OTG function (most are meant for USB DAC dongle)

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 7
You need a Type C cable that supports OTG. Most Type C to USB A cable is meant for data and charging without OTG support. Alternatively you can get a Type C to Micro USB cable that has OTG function (most are meant for USB DAC dongle)
So that didn't work. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0744BKDRD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It doesn't charge the phone from the amplifier any more, but now it just doesn't do anything at all. Music plays from my phone's speaker only.
You're referring to this micro usb, correct?
PHA-3.jpg

Apr 28, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #5 of 7
So that didn't work. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0744BKDRD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It doesn't charge the phone from the amplifier any more, but now it just doesn't do anything at all. Music plays from my phone's speaker only.
You're referring to this micro usb, correct?
Never tried that particular cable before so i can't be 100% certain, but it does look like it should work. There is also the possibility that the USB receiver chip in the PHA-3 isn't configured for OTG purpose.

Jul 6, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 7
Hi, I use USB C from my iPad to the PHA-3. This goes to the Type A female input used for Apple devices. Does seem odd you cant use the PC input. I would have thought most USB C cables support all USB C functions, never heard of a cable only capable of power and data transfer? Did you sort it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back