Android Streaming DAPs w/Play Store
Feb 15, 2020 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

inexactscience

Head-Fier
Hello all!

Since I can't otherwise seem to find a resource on this site that has my answer, I'm wondering what DAPs are out there that have Google Play Store services on them.

So far, I've found these:

Sony ZX507
Sony A100TPS/A105/A106/A107
Sony ZX2
FiiO M15 (Large, but incomplete success)
FiiO M11 Pro (Large, but incomplete success)
FiiO M11 (Large, but incomplete success)
FiiO X7 Mark II
FiiO X5 Mark III
HiBy R6 Pro
HiBy R6
HiBy R5
Cayin N6II
Cayin N5IIS
Cayin N5II
Cayin i5
Hidizs AP200
Shanling M6
Onkyo DP-X1A
Onkyo DP-X1
Pioneer XDP-300R
Pioneer XDP-100R

And that's about it for now. What have I missed?

Also, which one is going to be the best bargain going into 2020?

EDIT: Let's reevaluate now that FiiO has added firmware to enable the M11, M11 Pro, and M15 lines to access a large, but not fully complete version of the Google Play Store and Google Services.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 21
Fiio M11, M11 pro, M15. Astell &Kern KANN. I believe other Astell&Kern models do as well however I do not know all of the models off the top of my head.
I didn't think those had Google Play Store on them. And the KANN is limited to whatever Astell&Kern preinstalled, right? They've got the Open App service, so you can install some more apps, but it's more of a whitelist than anything else. Am I wrong?

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 21
I didn't think those had Google Play Store on them. And the KANN is limited to whatever Astell&Kern preinstalled, right? They've got the Open App service, so you can install some more apps, but it's more of a whitelist than anything else. Am I wrong?

The kann advertises Google play on their site, I can confirm in a few days when I get one in my hand. My shanling M6 doesn't have it preinstalled however it is compatible if you install it. The Shanling comes with "apkpure" preloaded which will let you install Google play services. I may have to change my additions if we are looking for it preloaded.

Feb 15, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 21
The kann advertises Google play on their site,
I don't see Google Play on Astell&Kern's US website. Just a link to an A&K app. I'd happily add it if I can get confirmation. Looks like a hell of a device, honestly.

My shanling M6 doesn't have it preinstalled
Well s*** I missed that!

I may have to change my additions if we are looking for it preloaded
I think if the Google Play Store can be installed easily (like via firmware update, for example), then it's something I'd like to add.

I'm still trying to figure out an alternative to the "smartphone with attached DAC/AMP" thing I'm currently using. Thanks for the help!

Feb 15, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 21
Also I did some research and it seems that devices that have Android 7.0 or older like most of the Fiio players I listed are harder to put the play store on. I'm not sure what version the M15 has, if I had the money I'd try and put the play store on it. I've had a lot of experience side loading Google play services on phones just not daps.

I should've done more research before assuming they were as easy as the Shanling was to put the play store on.

Feb 16, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #10 of 21
Hello all!

Since I can't otherwise seem to find a resource on this site that has my answer, I'm wondering what DAPs are out there that have Google Play Store services on them.

So far, I've found these:

Sony ZX507
Sony A100TPS/A105/A106/A107
Sony ZX2
FiiO X7 Mark II
FiiO X5 Mark III
HiBy R6 Pro
HiBy R6
HiBy R5
Cayin N6II
Cayin N5IIS
Cayin N5II
Cayin i5
Hidizs AP200
Shanling M6
Onkyo DP-X1A
Onkyo DP-X1
Pioneer XDP-300R
Pioneer XDP-100R

And that's about it for now. What have I missed?

Also, which one is going to be the best bargain going into 2020?

I can vouch for the Cayin N6ii. It has Google Play store. It also has the ability to change motherboards allowing you different types of sound signature and components. Potentially this keeps the DAP fresh going forward into the near future.

Feb 16, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #11 of 21
HiBy R6 Pro came with Google Play and have used it several times without a hitch.

Feb 16, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #12 of 21
HiBy R6 Pro came with Google Play and have used it several times without a hitch.
I previewed the R6 back in the day, but found that there were issues with Tidal streaming (excessive buffer time) and that it couldn't connect to a public wifi (with a required sign-in) with any regularity.

Has their R6 Pro addressed the Tidal streaming issue, at least? Would you know if they've also addressed the public wifi? I wouldn't expect so, since it's a rather unique situation.

It's otherwise a pretty snazzy looking device. It's tentatively joined the N6II and the ZX507 (505...?) as top contenders for my DAP desires, thank you!

Feb 16, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #14 of 21
What kind of battery life do you get from the N6II streaming?
When streaming I get about 7 hours. This is listening to Tidal hi-fi / master. However, I have taken to downloading my playlists from Tidal to the N6ii and listening to them off-line. This way you can get about 14 hours.

Feb 20, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #15 of 21
Turns out most of my suggestions are not that easy to add google play. I believe it can be done however it would not be an easy endeavor. I have the Kann in hand and it is a super heavily modified version of android, it may not even run well if I do manage to get it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back