Android (Sony z3) to Nuforce HDP cable...
Dec 10, 2015 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

logip

New Head-Fier
Hello hello,

I'm having problems finding a cable for this setup.

As far as know I need something called a USB OTG cable. The Nuforce has a Type B input and the Sony has a Type Micro-B output.
I'm pretty skilled at googling and surfing the net but I cannot find a cable that I think will fit.

Am I missing something here? Does anybody know a shop that could possibly sell me some of this magic?

with regards, Logi

PS. I've got a Shure SRH1540 incoming... Really, really want this to work :)

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by logip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello hello,

I'm having problems finding a cable for this setup.

As far as know I need something called a USB OTG cable. The Nuforce has a Type B input and the Sony has a Type Micro-B output.
I'm pretty skilled at googling and surfing the net but I cannot find a cable that I think will fit.

Am I missing something here? Does anybody know a shop that could possibly sell me some of this magic?

with regards, Logi

PS. I've got a Shure SRH1540 incoming... Really, really want this to work :)

That's because OTG adapter cables usually come in a micro-B to female USB-A configuration, which then allows you to use any printer cable - ie, USB-A to USB-B - to hook up the Android to a compatible DAC.

You can get these from Amazon.

That said, is the HDP even compatible with Androids? I must have just missed it but the thing is I don't recall seeing any post that it does on the Android DACs thread. On top of that due to the sheer number of manufacturers using the Android operating system there are instances where devices running the same OS from the factory as compatible models don't work. Also, there are cases where people receive OTG cables from online vendors and some don't work.

Basically, manage your expectations, but get at least two different cables from different vendors. And install USB Audio Player Pro, that one comes with USB Audio drivers built into the app.

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 6
Hi,

Thanks for the informative reply. I think I will follow your advice and see how far I can go with this. 
I was hoping this Android USB audio business was going to be simple... 

with regards, Logi

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #4 of 6
I just found this rather disappointing post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/521283/review-nuforce-icon-hdp/150 (post 164)

I think you are right about the HDP - it does not seem to work with Android. 

I guess I have to find a DAP with SPDIF then. I'm not giving up on the HDP!

Thanks for your help. 

with regards, Logi

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by logip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just found this rather disappointing post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/521283/review-nuforce-icon-hdp/150 (post 164)

I think you are right about the HDP - it does not seem to work with Android. 

I guess I have to find a DAP with SPDIF then. I'm not giving up on the HDP!

You already have the Android - look in the Android DACs thread, there are a few USB to SPDIF converters available out there that work via OTG. Cheaper than trying out a USB power cleaner only to realize the drivers are the issue, not the device USB power.

The reason why I'd go with that is because most DAPs have their SPDIF outputs on top, which makes it easier to prop it up but the cable is sticking out. With smartphones and tablets, assuming they're compatible with OTG and USB Audio (CCK for iOS), you just need to find a sync dock and then the cable management is easier - phone slots into sync port, cable goes into the other end at the back of the dock. Even the Sonys that had the port on the side had sync docks available.

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #6 of 6
Good point. I had not thought of that. The Fiio x3 Gen 2 is tempting, I have to admit. Thanks for the tip. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back