Android: Poweramp vs PlayerPro vs Uber Music
Feb 17, 2012 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

AyeVeeN

100+ Head-Fier
Which one do you guys think is better? Mainly looking for sound quality (I'm using a Samsung Stratosphere). From what I can tell, PlayerPro sounds better than Poweramp but poweramp is more popular.. Haven't tried UberMusic yet

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 25
I have not used PlayerPro or UberMusic, but I have A-B tested PowerAmp against Neutron and Rockbox.  With my Samsung SGP 5.0.  For free you cannot beat Rockbox. Get a copy here:

http://rasher.dk/rockbox/android/

For a polished app with potential, PowerAmp is hard to beat.  It is not perfect, but it does a damn fine job.  The other apps I have tested sound about a good as PowerAmp at low volume, but PowerAmp is able to play 50%+ louder without distortion which is important when I plug into my car's receiver.  The user interface is virtually bug free and it is also probably one of the best laid out out off all of the players I have used. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 25
PowerAmp and Rockbox are the two players I use as well.

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 25
PowerAMP is #1 for me. I tried a few different player apps, including Neutron - PowerAMP wins IMO.

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #6 of 25

Quote:
Poweramp does gapless, playerpro doesn't.  Nuff said!

Have you tried to play gapless MP3 with Poweramp? Last I tried the transition between tracks weren't perfect. Gapless, yes, but there was some noise that shouldn't be there. Maybe it has been fixed now. But that was the reason why I chose Neutron. 

Feb 21, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #7 of 25

Quote:
Have you tried to play gapless MP3 with Poweramp? Last I tried the transition between tracks weren't perfect. Gapless, yes, but there was some noise that shouldn't be there. Maybe it has been fixed now. But that was the reason why I chose Neutron. 

I've had occasional issues with poweramp.  Resetting the program data has always cleared them up, though, and I'm very happy with the program overall.  My only complaint is that star ratings aren't stored into mp3 tags, but that's supposedly coming in the future.

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #8 of 25

Quote:

I haven't noticed any gapless glitches at all.

Feb 22, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #10 of 25
The Android OS causes my music to stutter or skip occasionally - no matter what app I use. But, PowerAMP is indeed gapless. And this is despite Android being annoying.

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #11 of 25

Quote:
The Android OS causes my music to stutter or skip occasionally - no matter what app I use. But, PowerAMP is indeed gapless. And this is despite Android being annoying.

I had a problem with this too with my Samsung Galaxy Player 5.  It really pissed my off, but ultimately I figured out that I had to set PowerAmp's Audio Thread Priority to "highest" under the Advanced Tweaks settings.  That cured the skipping.  I thought tweaking the buffer in the settings menu would help, but it made it worse...I left that setting on "Auto" like it was by default.  I don't know if other players let you set the thread priority like PowerAmp allows.  On a side note, variable bit rate files seemed to cause skipping much more frequently than CBR files did.

Feb 22, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 25

Quote:

I had a problem with this too with my Samsung Galaxy Player 5.  It really pissed my off, but ultimately I figured out that I had to set PowerAmp's Audio Thread Priority to "highest" under the Advanced Tweaks settings.  That cured the skipping.  I thought tweaking the buffer in the settings menu would help, but it made it worse...I left that setting on "Auto" like it was by default.  I don't know if other players let you set the thread priority like PowerAmp allows.  On a side note, variable bit rate files seemed to cause skipping much more frequently than CBR files did.

I've had no skipping issues at all, thankfully.  

That's the hard part about android phones...so many variants that can all have their own little issues and bugs.

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #13 of 25

Unfortunately that doesn't work on my Atrix 4G,...I tried. My phone is fickle.

PS: VBR - FTW!!! :p

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #15 of 25
Testing PowerAmp right now, pretty happy with it, will probably buy it
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back